Zipcode programming for all scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

frazpo

With the resources already available as far as the database, the mapping, and so forth. For simplicity, wouldn't it be nice for the less "savvy" to have the option of programming an XT or a PRO with software that utilized zipcode mapping for programming. Even if you just had the zipcode of the county seat. This could be an easy way for these guys that become overwhelmed and decide it's too technical for them. You punch in the zipcode and the software grabs the sites and frequencies within a given range. Like the HP but instead of the radio itself doing the programming, the software would.

Does this already exist?

OCO

It'd need to be more sophisticated than just pull all entries for an area, or you'll just get a big glob.. Keep in mind that the HP1 (and I presume the PSR800) also refine the data by Service type, set up the trunk systems correctly and a number of other details....

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
Not to mention, Unden holds some pretty solid patents on programming scanner by zip code.

frazpo

It'd need to be more sophisticated than just pull all entries for an area, or you'll just get a big glob.. Keep in mind that the HP1 (and I presume the PSR800) also refine the data by Service type, set up the trunk systems correctly and a number of other details....

Your putting way more thought into it then I intended. I realize the variables. My point was whether or not it could be done. It would just take some crunching. Its a shame that guys without a knack for computers and technical know how have to pay $500 to listen the county fire dept.

Im not sure about the patent comment. There are third party freeware programs to program all these scanners. If you were to create your database with the use of zipcodes im not sure how this could infringe on a patent. I may be wrong, I do not know a lot about how strict patents can be.

Thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.