• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX Zone Bank on APX 6000 Model 2.5

hp8920

Are zone banks supported on APX handhelds model 2.5+?

I'm trying to do basic zone banks on a APX 6000 model 2.5 (no enhanced zone bank option in the flashcode). The model 2.5 user manual implies that you can by giving operating instructions. I can enable basic zone bank mode in radio ergonomics wide and assign the toggle switch to zone select. The radio seems to behave correctly, it shows ABC/DEF in the top display, if I change to zone 4, the 3 position switch activates zones 4-6.

The only problem is I can't assign a button to zone bank up/down. The icons in the CPS help seems to show that this is for model 1.5 only.

Is it officially not supported and they did a (very) sloppy job of disabling it, or is it something I missed?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Zone Bank Up/Down selection is only available in a 6000 when you have QA0768 Enhanced Zone Bank in the flash. Yes, even when you have it set to Basic Zone Bank Operation, and it will work fine in 1.5, 2.5, or 3.5 models.

hp8920

Zone Bank Up/Down selection is only available in a 6000 when you have QA0768 Enhanced Zone Bank in the flash. Yes, even when you have it set to Basic Zone Bank Operation, and it will work fine in 1.5, 2.5, or 3.5 models.

Ok, so in basic zone bank mode, how do I change between the two banks? I don't see a "basic zone bank" button in option either.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Ah crap, my mistake. Yes so with the 1.5 only, you do have access to the Zone Bank Up button (not Down, oddly) as a button assignment, even without QA0768 in the flash. It's been a while since I've toyed around with one of those models, so I had forgotten about that.

Unfortunately Zone Bank Up is not available on the 2.5 or 3.5 unless you have QA0768. Kind of silly, but that's MSI for ya.

hp8920

Got it, thanks! My workaround was to program a MS key to something in zone 4, so between that and the home key, you can move between the zone banks.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Good solution, although I have to ask, with a front display what is the point of zone banks? You could simply program a ZONE menu button then select. Or if you want to be able to get to another zone without removing the radio from the holster/case, why not just make one of the side buttons Zone Up instead? If you're only dealing with 6 zones, it's not a huge chore to step through them vs a button press + ABC selection.

hp8920

My original idea was to have the second corresponding zone be an extension of the first, so zone 4 would be overflow, talkaround, or analog versions of zone 1. That way the change zone bank is sort of a shift key. You could do this with zone up, but it seems more difficult to zone up exactly 3 times.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Fair enough. MS# going to Ch 1 in Zone 4 is a good solution, then.