Zorns Lemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacentre

Can anyone tell me where I can download this software? I've been searching sites that discuss/review it but I can't find a download link.

Thanks and regards

Trevor

sacentre

Thanks, Mike. That site was one of the first I came across but I don't see any download link. I was hoping to try it out. I've tried Black Cat, SeaTTY MMTTY and Fldgi and wanted to see the color maps.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
On HF FAX modes are always black, white and greyscale. This is likely due to bandwidth issues. I suspect the colorized maps are either satellite or have been colored by the webmaster

Mike

sacentre

As well as trying the software out, I was hoping to discover why it was named after the 1970, Hollis Frampton film. Then again it may have more to do with the Zorn's lemma mathematical theorem which I came across while surfing. All way too cerebral for me, of course.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone tell me where I can download this software? I've been searching sites that discuss/review it but I can't find a download link.

Thanks and regards

Trevor

No, but having a PhD in mathmatics, I can tell you it is equivalent to the Axiom of Choice. :)
But my 3 semesters of German are far forgotten which leaves me to ask after attempting to read the web page...Is this software only for the Perseus and Winradio?

GB46

My university major was German, and I used to translate German documents for a living. Here's what I've figured out:

There's a link at the left of the page close to the bottom, "Bestellung und Updates". "Bestellung" means orders or ordering, which makes me think that the software is not free, and so you might have to order the software to be sent the download link. Those DLL files can be downloaded via the links on the page. They are not executables. but belong in the Zorn's Lemma folder as plugins for the main program.

The program runs under Windows XP thru Windows 10. SDRs, "such as" WinRadio and Perseus, are supported, so perhaps other SDRs are supported, as well. However, I'm not sure if it runs as a standalone PC program for those without SDRs. To find out, you'd have to download the manual, which is likely also in German.

GB46

Here are the system requirements, which would leave me out entirely, as far as the display is concerned:

A PC with the following minimum resources:
CPU more than 1.2 Ghz, 512 MB or more of RAM.
A simple 16-bit soundcard (compatible with SoundBlaster - default)
or a modem such as PTCxx or the PK232.
CD ROM drive. A large screen (1280 x 1024) is recommended.
A graphics card with at least 16 MB of memory, and 3 GB of hard disk space.
Internet access, DSL oreferred.

So you might just as well find a good reliable weather website, or bookmark NOAA's pages.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
My university major was German, and I used to translate German documents for a living. Here's what I've figured out:

There's a link at the left of the page close to the bottom, "Bestellung und Updates". "Bestellung" means orders or ordering, which makes me think that the software is not free, and so you might have to order the software to be sent the download link. Those DLL files can be downloaded via the links on the page. They are not executables. but belong in the Zorn's Lemma folder as plugins for the main program.

The program runs under Windows XP thru Windows 10. SDRs, "such as" WinRadio and Perseus, are supported, so perhaps other SDRs are supported, as well. However, I'm not sure if it runs as a standalone PC program for those without SDRs. To find out, you'd have to download the manual, which is likely also in German.

Danke schoen (thanks much). If anyone runs this, please let us know if it has any features of note.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
For those that are reading this and are a bit discouraged by the recommended PC stats; don't be.

As noted earlier there's a world of software out there that doesn't need a bunch of memory or high end soundcard to run. Some of them are listed in message 3 of this thread. Others include the well known MultiPSK, Sorcerer, JVComm and even 2 Java driven modules - JNX and JWX. You can find links to these here...

No need to get a multi kilobuck app (Krypto, Wavecom, etc.) for this.

Onward.....Mike

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
For those that are reading this and are a bit discouraged by the recommended PC stats; don't be.

As noted earlier there's a world of software out there that doesn't need a bunch of memory or high end soundcard to run. Some of them are listed in message 3 of this thread. Others include the well known MultiPSK, Sorcerer, JVComm and even 2 Java driven modules - JNX and JWX. You can find links to these here...

No need to get a multi kilobuck app (Krypto, Wavecom, etc.) for this.

Onward.....Mike

One someone should fix on that page is that "JAERO" is a decoder for for L-band satellite Aero modes (not a mode) and should be listed in the list of decoders. (It is mentioned, only once, in a bullet under PC-HFDL . The "J" comes from the decoder developer's name. It appears the writer of the page may think it is a mode and does not recognize it is actually the name of a decoder program.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You can do that yourself...it isn't all that hard, and you can't really damage the page as there's a history function that can be used if it really gets hosed up. But I believe that app is for satellites only - that page is for HF modes.

Mike

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
You can do that yourself...it isn't all that hard, and you can't really damage the page as there's a history function that can be used if it really gets hosed up. But I believe that app is for satellites only - that page is for HF modes.

Mike

Yes, it is for satellites only and in that case, it should not be mentioned on the page at all.

sacentre

Thanks, Gerry. Most helpful. I picked up that it was a paid app from descriptions I'd read on other sites. I just thought there might be a trial version I could download for evaluation. Not sure why the developers wouldn't have multi-language options on their web site particularly if they want to sell it to the wider global community.

GB46

Actually, I tried that ordering link with the intention of backing out before submitting an order, but the link led me right back to the same page. Strange site! That's OK, anyway, because the app would never run on my machine, which is a little netbook with a 10-inch screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.