TV Antenna Tower questions (read me)

Status
Not open for further replies.

outburst402

I know TV isn't really spoken of much on RR, but since many people here are so knowledgeable....here it goes.

I'm putting up an antenna, it is going to be about 60ft high and the base will be about 250ft from my house. It is required to pick up a signal of any quality. I'm looking for a really good TV antenna to mount on it, looking mostly for UHF since that is the band that most of the local stations are on (switching to digital soon of course), so if you have had experience with a really good antenna let me know.

My real questions though are ones that apply to radio as well they are:

What is the best low loss cable to use for this length (as cost effective as possible)?

I have a rotor, can it be used for this type of length? What type of cable is needed? or is there some other solution available? I'll probably need to rotate the antenna to get different stations.

I'm running CAT5 wire to the tower as well in hopes of being able to get wireless internet. Will there be any interference between the CAT5 and the coax if they are in the same conduit?

I'm running electrical to the base for an amp and possible equipment needed for the wireless internet. How far away does the electrical need to be to keep interference at a minimum (or non-existant)? Could I bury them both in the same trench if I put some dirt between them?

What would be the best angle to use for guy wires?

I know there are some really smart people on these forums and I'd really like it if you could help me out. Just so you know, I do scan local law enforcement and did post some info here back when I had time (before kids).

Thanks in advance for the help.

Outburst402

Sinister

Premium Subscriber
You could ask over at solidsignal.com they are willing to fit you with the right antenna or dish. They deal alot with moving to digital questions.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
A Rule of thumb for rohn 25g tower the base is in 3ft by 3ft by 3ft concrete and the guy wire is if the tower is 60 ft tall the guy ancors should be 60 ft from the base in all directions with the guys 30 ft apart which means I would guy at 30 feet and 55 feet this should be standard antenna load for wind and ice. If you are going to load the tower more then you neeed to look at a rohn tower installers book.

kc4jgc

Outburst:
You don't say where you are.

Be sure none of your local stations won't be switching to a vhf hi (ch 7-13) channel after 2/17/09. you can check on the W9WI site.

Status
Not open for further replies.