RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > International Radio Discussion Forums > UK Radio Discussion Forum

UK Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussion of Radio Information in the United Kingdom.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2017, 2:48 PM

Default Why is UK so restrictive?

I just read the UK monitoring law and was wondering why your country is so restrictive on monitoring? Almost every country has streaming of aircraft but the only thing UK has is ham radio. I would expect to see these type of regulations in Saudi Arabia not Europe.
Sponsored links
Old 01-03-2017, 3:24 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

have you not noticed that the united states is heading in the same direction with encryption ? no athorative figure or organization wants any transparency between them and the so called "meddelling civilians ". they want to do what they want to do, when they want to do it, how they want to do it, where they want to do it who they want to do it to, for as long as they want to do it too.
Old 01-10-2017, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Almost every country has streaming of aircraft
What you mean with?
Receiving 1090mhz Data is in the most country not directly illegal but share the Data with other and the Gov tolerate it.
Quote:
but the only thing UK has is ham radio.
here in austria its the same you could stream only CB Radio/ Amateur Radio and PMR446 and if you get the Permission your own Radio Freq.
Quote:
I would expect to see these type of regulations in Saudi Arabia not Europe.
lol I see you dont know what also forbidden is. Trust me you get very easy screwed up.
Old 01-10-2017, 5:17 AM

Why does the FCC put a 155 mile rule on CB transmissions? Why do U.S. scanners have certain portions blocked? Sounds like something out of the Soviet Union.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:07 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by autovon View Post
Why does the FCC put a 155 mile rule on CB transmissions? .
From its inception, the Citizen's Radio Service has always been intended to be a short range personal and business service. Power output limits (4 watts AM; 12 watts SSB) on an hf band is intended to ensure that in normal conditions.

The distance used to be 150 miles; at some point the FCC wanted to go metric; 250 kilometers is equivalent to 155 miles. Close enough for government work.
Sponsored links
Old 01-17-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autovon View Post
Why does the FCC put a 155 mile rule on CB transmissions? Why do U.S. scanners have certain portions blocked? Sounds like something out of the Soviet Union.

Not sure what your trying to compare? Limits on CB transmission range in US vs total monitoring ban in UK.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your_account View Post
What you mean with?
Receiving 1090mhz Data is in the most country not directly illegal but share the Data with other and the Gov tolerate it.
here in austria its the same you could stream only CB Radio/ Amateur Radio and PMR446 and if you get the Permission your own Radio Freq.
lol I see you dont know what also forbidden is. Trust me you get very easy screwed up.
I was referring to streaming ATC audio not ADSB. The only issue we have here in the US is if the department is encrypted then we are out of luck monitoring but if it is not encrypted we are allowed to listen with very few exceptions. I am just asking what is their reason for being so restrictive in the UK?
Old 01-17-2017, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmn View Post
Not sure what your trying to compare? Limits on CB transmission range in US vs total monitoring ban in UK.
Both are ridiculous, antiquated rules. Both are also routinely ignored by their respective citizens.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:35 AM

UK mentality comes from the Second World War (walls have ears), and was then made worse by the Cold War. The powers that be haven't noticed we have moved on.
Sponsored links
Old 01-26-2017, 7:04 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minus1 View Post
UK mentality comes from the Second World War (walls have ears), and was then made worse by the Cold War. The powers that be haven't noticed we have moved on.
Yet the UK hosts the NSA at Menwith Hill

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk