(UK) FM Radio faces Government switch-off as Digital listening passes 50% milestone

Status
Not open for further replies.

GW7MGW

As yet I still have to switch to F3E to get radio reception in the hills of Wales, with FM the signal starts to break up a bit, but you can still get reception, with DAB it simply cuts out, all or nothing.

I really don't understand why we have DAB, all the programs are also broadcast on Freeview so all we needed was a Freeview receiver for sound only there was simply no need to have yet another frequency for commercial broadcast radio.

Although Roberts do a solar powered DAB radio because the DAB receiver is so power hungry solar powered DAB radios are rare. As to clockwork I can't find a single clockwork DAB radio, loads of FM clockwork, but not one DAB.

I remember MW and LW AM radios where all you needed was a high impedance ear piece, a diode and a coil of wire around a discarded toilet role, a variable capacitor allowed fine tuning, not a battery in sight.

From that point each "advance" seems to need more power, for safety information like weather reports you want a radio that uses very little power so batteries are small and last a long time. I found one with a 700 mAh battery that says charging time 3-4 hours and play time up to 10 hours, however it does not say if this 10 hours is FM or DAB, my Baofeng UV-B6 radio will allow me to listen to FM broadcast radio, it lasts for a long time listening and the same unit can transmit to call for help. It is small and easy to carry when walking in the hills, and cheap to buy, around £25 and is now part of my safety equipment.

Show me a portable light cheap transceiver with DAB listening ability which one could carry to both listen to weather reports and if necessary call for help.

Pete_uk

What annoys me sometimes is the rubbish coverage some transmitters have. Crank up the power! Its 220mhz, where you could pick up TV from 50 miles away with a pair of scissors!

Status
Not open for further replies.