• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unication G5 Antenna For 800 Mhz Band

JASII

Memory Capacity
In the past , I seem to recall some posts about after-market antennas for the Unication G5 that are resonant on the 800 Mhz band. I do recall trying my Motorola DTR550 long whip antenna and I seemed to notice an improvement. At the time, I didn't need the additional gain and I sold my DTR550s. Now, however, I could benefit from having an antenna with a bit more gain on 800 MHz. What are some of the better choices right now for antennas that get a bit more signal than the OEM Unication antenna?

Mine is the original antenna, too. If I recall correctly, there is a somewhat newer OEM Unication antenna that might perform better than the original OEM antenna.

PapaG

WB4IAR
Premium Subscriber
I have a SMA female to BNC female adapter on my G5 and use the Remtronix 800 antenna. It receives very well.

RBMTS

JASII - be very careful if you decide to put a third party antenna on the G5. Search on past posts about antennas. Look at the pictures. If you don’t use the correct style connector you will end up pushing the pin down into the radio. This can cause the OEM antenna to no longer work. Users have also stated the pin breaks off and gets pulled out by the third party antenna.

Just ask yourself if a little gain is worth risking a $600 radio.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
This has been covered many times in the (SEARCH) box in RREF. Here's a thread complete with links to favored antennas and arguing galore.
Here's what I use

Last edited by a moderator:

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I have a SMA female to BNC female adapter on my G5 and use the Remtronix 800 antenna. It receives very well.
I'll second that! Just make sure the adapter's SMA connector is the same as the OEM. Although currently unavailable, this is the adapter I purchased a year ago, and I've had no trouble with the center pin on my G5. I also use the Remtronix (RadioShack) 800 antenna with very positive results. Here's another adapter I purchased that also works.

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
How is the gap between those 2 adapters and the pager? I have one that I bought years ago for a Motorola radio but there is a good 1/4" gap on it.

radio3353

There is no gap with the ExpertPower adapter.

Are you sure? From ths pictures on the Amazon page it looks to me like the SMA female jack is recessed into the connector. That is why it will work (i.e. not push the male pin down.) Or, are you talking about something else?

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Expert Power adapter:
Expert Power.jpg

Custom Cables adapter:
Custom Cables.jpg

The SMA connectors on both adapters are recessed 2MM, as is the OEM antenna. Neither should place undue stress on the G5 pin.

minasha

with the expert adapter and Radio Shack 800mhz antenna is there any real gain over the OEM antenna?

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
In my experience...not by much. The only thing it helps is pulling in a fringe system (Parma), but barely, which is interesting. But otherwise no improvement over stock with MARCS or GCRCN.