RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Unication Forum

Unication Forum - Forum for discussion of Unication products.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 10:08 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

You are in an area that uses "T-Band" and you are the exception. Most UHF traffic is 450-470MHz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryfire26 View Post
Most fire XB repeaters operate on 460-485 rendering this pager not an option, as you would in effect need 2 pagers!
chris
Sponsored links
Old 09-12-2013, 5:47 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Unication G1 Programer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD2DLL View Post
This thing sounds pretty amazing! How much does programming equipment run for? I may buy one since I do a lot of monitoring everything as well as using my pager. It sounds pretty good to me. I may see if my dept can get a demo unit to try it out.
I am an authorized Unication Dealer. Software is free and the cradle is $200.00

UNICATION G1
Old 09-12-2013, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian86 View Post
The Unication G1 is a very good pager and since I have become a dealer for them 80% of my business comes from the Unication Pagers. The departments that use 100% conventional communication systems benefit the best from these high quality pagers. I know I have sold well over 150 Units since April with no complaints.

If you are interested in the features and a detailed overview you can watch my youtube video about the Unication G1 at Unication G1 Voice Fire Pager Review & Features - YouTube
Brian I am trying to get my hands on one of these to demo as an option to add to our Minitor V units. One of the things that I am trying to figure out still is if I equip the dispatch center with the Unication PS/DRT system would it be able to provide text to the non-GSM pager using a data burst over the primary analog paging channel? The biggest thing that would separate the Unication from the Minitor V for us would be the option to throw text at it in addition to voice paging but I can't see justifying the GSM service cost.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:53 PM

Question The G1 must only be available on the East coast....

Anyone know of a dealer on the West coast? I've tried working with Unication to get a look at the G1, the best they have done is had a dealer from Tennessee email an offer for me to purchase one for $395 so that I may try it out.
Old 09-29-2013, 3:41 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Can anyone post a codeplug file? I downloaded the software to play with but I need a codeplug to do so. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2013, 7:22 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I just received my order of 6 G1 pagers from One-Stop Communications in Lewistown, PA. I started carrying a G1 last night instead of my Minitor V and I must say it seems to be a solid product. Programming software has way more features than the Minitor V software. Looks to be a good replacement.
Old 11-02-2013, 9:34 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Unication G1 Update

I have spoken to Unication and Hoffman Radio Network.
Both have listen to the needs of the fire service and they now have a fix for this pager. After using this pager for the better part of 2 months!
here is what I have found.

1. Receive is exceptional and in some cases received better than my fire radio in the truck
2. Allows you to hear Tac Channels and well as the repeaters and dispatch frequencies
3 Ease of programming scan channels
4 great for Mutual aid so at the very least you can hear your out of town trucks and command without the need for another radio.
5. Buy this Pager it is the Best pager on the Market and to be totally Honest here the technical support is Superb! Hoffman Radio Netorks and Unication actually listen to their customers and their recommendations.
6. the unit is WATER PROOF and that is a a great thing.
7. Praise goes out to Hoffman Radio Network and Unication and their engineers and software people.
Old 11-15-2013, 2:24 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD2DLL View Post
Can anyone post a codeplug file? I downloaded the software to play with but I need a codeplug to do so. Thanks.
DO you still need one I can send you one
Old 11-15-2013, 4:06 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default New Unication G1 Tone Voice Pager

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittles04 View Post
DO you still need one I can send you one
No I do not. Thank you though.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:31 PM

Default Cool, Functional But.......

I agree it is the most advanced pager on the market for Fire and EMS or in my case Skywarn. However Its missing things considering the enormous size. Its actually bigger than a Yaesu VX-7R. That's without the antenna folks. Forget about Antennas. I'm talking box size. Now from this point of view the VX-7R receives on a myriad of frequencies and has one heck of a sensitized receiver. It doesn't have a Decoder IC for Tone paging but it does transmit albeit not on commercial frequencies but nevertheless it does transmit. Then you have this enormous pager that can only receive on one band. Has a decoder IC for Tone Paging. Both have nice displays. With all that being said Its not for me personally. At that size Dual band would have been sold instantaneously to me. In the mean time Ill stick with Minitor IV and V pagers.

Furthermore, Why does anyone need that many frequencies to listen to. Is it a personal scanner or an emergency communications tool. IE shouldn't you be monitoring at most The fire dispatch, fire ground, rescue dispatch, rescue ground, and maybe a secondary private channel of the fire and rescue. It almost seems a toy and I worry myself if some of the extra hands will get the call for help or will they be too busy trying to either flash the device or go into free monitor and listen to whatever. At the end of the day it is what it is. I can tell you that most Public Safety outfits are thinking along these lines. At least the ones Ive talked to.

As for Skywarn use I could see this being useful for a storm chaser that may travel through multiple counties or states and need more than the 2 channels supplied via a Minitor IV or V. But for myself not suitable as I only require 2 channels.

This is just my opinion and not spoken against anyone nor intended to flame. If flaming is what satisfies you then you severely misinterpreted my agenda.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:34 AM

I think the main thing it has going for it is that is it not fragile and delicate like the last 3 generations of Minitor.

As to why anybody needs more frequencies, well around here on the initial dispatch I can foresee that a user would want the capability to monitor 3 local command frequencies, 3 backup command frequencies, and there are 7 tactical frequencies that can be assigned on initial dispatch. That is because CDF is at the helm and you can say what you want about it being like that, but it is what it is and I say it works pretty well.

The main thing is that memory and features are cheap these days so why not develop them and let the end user decide what to do with it.

If you only want 2 channels then only put 2 channels in it.
Old 12-15-2013, 8:42 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryfire26 View Post
I have one and it is a great Unit, EXCEPT!!!!!
The only issue I have at the moment is the frequency spread.
We need 460-484 and it only goes from 465.000 485.000 in the programming,

If this unit cannot go from 460-484 then it is pretty much not an option to keep this unit or even purchase anymore.

Most fire XB repeaters operate on 460-485 rendering this pager not an option, as you would in effect need 2 pagers!

I would hope they can fix this in software as it is only a receiver and 5 Mhz lower will really nor degrade the reception.and They would sell so many more units! What were they thinking!
Programming is straight forward and the software needs a lot of upgrades as it is very basic.
Battery life last all day not an issue
Audio is excellent, allows for ctcss and you can even program in MDC for even more options.

In my Honest Opinion, Until they address the frequency spread issue I would wait and see before going out and buying one .

I am in the same boat as you with this. I need 453 to 478 Mhz... They have a 450 to 470 Mhz Model and like you said, pushing it 7 mhz up will not affect the RX to much....
Old 12-15-2013, 10:09 PM

Contact them, they will listen to you.
Old 02-05-2014, 7:10 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Unication G1

These pagers, and this company, have far exceeded my expectations. As mentioned, they absolutely listen to their customers, have a dedication to continuous improvement of their products, and have some pretty innovative features in their devices that stand out among the competition. One such feature is the option to enable CTCSS on your dispatch channel (for agencies that do not encode PL on their tones) and the pager will silence all tones and only broadcast the voice traffic, when in monitor mode of course, yet will still filter and alert for your station's tones. I also like the fact that they're waterproof (fully submersible, not splashproof) and dust proof so if you are looking for a truly ruggedized device, here is your answer. No more pagers destroyed from falling in the bowl. Disclaimer: I do not represent the company, am not a franchisee, and have no ties other than really liking this pager and appreciating the responsiveness of their customer service.

I am really excited to see the G3 product when that is released, because as many of you know, we've been begging the scanner manufacturers for a ruggedized trunked system monitoring device with loud audio, and the G3, although it's a pager, will be just that.
Old 02-05-2014, 8:04 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default poor battery life

Too bad the battery life is so poor. They could make some simple changes to the existing firmware to extend it - like having the option to make the backlight turn on by button press only. If I'm wearing it on my belt, I don't need the display to light up on every transmission. You could even turn off the display all together unless needed, saving precious milliwatts.

We bought a dozen of them last June and I've had at least half of them returned for their old Minitor V's.

I agree they are great, but less than 8 hours battery life monitoring a single channel (not scanning) with very sporadic transmissions is close to useless for us.
Old 02-05-2014, 8:32 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Definitely not seeing that behavior - mine was on monitor all day today for at least 10 hours during a weather event and the battery didn't even go down a notch. The county was very busy today as well. Mine is only a few weeks old though so perhaps it's possible that something was updated?
Old 02-05-2014, 8:42 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Mine shows RVV0108EN 03AE836A in Settings... Information.... Version.

Is yours different? My dealer knows we are having this issue and was supposed to let me know when new firmware was available.
Old 02-22-2014, 7:39 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

RVV0112EN 03A38D60 is mine.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:55 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default Firmware

There was 2 releases of R03.06.29 the first release had an issue with 64bit machines. I believe the Firmware stayed the same but you can always get the latest updates right from my website

ScanMD Fire & Rescue Solutions

Regards, Brian
Old 04-24-2014, 9:32 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

What's the story with the Unication G3? Seems to be delayed well past the point it was supposed to be released.