• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unication G4/G5 and P25 Phase II

Status
Not open for further replies.

radio3353

Does the Unication G4 or G5 receive P25 Phase II? What is the cost (approximate is OK) for one unit of either model? Any suggested dealers who are willing to sell to the general public? Thanks.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Simple answer...it does not currently receive TDMA talkgroups, but it will receive FDMA talkgroups on a Phase II system. Unication has indicated it will be releasing a Phase II firmware update for TDMA possibly by the end of this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

verhoffj1

Premium Subscriber
G4 Phase 2

Simple answer...it does not currently receive TDMA talkgroups, but it will receive FDMA talkgroups on a Phase II system. Unication has indicated it will be releasing a Phase II firmware update for TDMA possibly by the end of this year.

Well here we are April 5th 2017 still no Phase 2!!! I Would by One immediately if it supported phase 2

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber

Well here we are April 5th 2017 still no Phase 2!!! I Would by One immediately if it supported phase 2

Yep....me too. Patiently waiting.

aaron315

I'd prefer they take as long as they need to be sure it is as close to perfect as possible before releasing an update. We get enough shotgun firmware from the scanner manufacturers. Quality takes time.

seth21w

Unication needs a rep on this forum, i bet if they knew how many sells they could get if they did do tdma and had a rep on here like ww and up man. Lots of revenue to be had.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
I'm thinking of giving the G5 a try due to the simulcast distortion in my county . Any recommendations? Any users with regrets to purchasing the G4/G5 ?

Last edited:

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
I like my G5 enough, after fighting with trying to get Uniden and Whistlers to work on the regional P25 system I monitor, that I bought a couple of G4s too.

I don't have any regrets, but there are things I would like to see improved, including adding Phase 2 and a more responsive user interface.

I wrote a review a while back. It's available at the link below.
Unication G5 Voice Pager as a Scanner - Review

I'm thinking of giving the G5 a try due to the simulcast distortion in my county . Any recommendations? Any users with regrets to purchasing the G4/G5 ?

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber

I like mine. I use it every day while mobile, works good for that. Luckily my local system is still Phase I. I don't use it at home because frankly the audio isn't that great. It's kind of "hollow" sounding. Kind of tinny. It decodes P25 in a moving car better than my BCD436, but at home I prefer my BCD536 or TRX-2. Those will miss more transmissions, but overall they are more pleasant to listen to. Of course, I'm using Yagis at home, which are not an option in the car. I do wish Unication would throw us a firmware bone in the form of a Talkgroup hold function, talk group scan delay, and muting encrypted transmissions. Those functions are sorely missed, and would go very far toward improving the usefulness of these otherwise fine radios.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
Thank you guys for the info and review of the G4/G5 .

One more question, looks like you're limited to connecting an external antenna unless you purchase the base. Do you find that the sensitivity the same or better when comparing to the 436HP ?

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Well the base is only good for the G5 where you can monitor VHF/UHF with an added external antenna. Otherwise VHF/UHF is monitored by a small internal antenna inside the unit. The 800mhz is what you can monitor through the external antenna SMA connector already on the unit. That can also be modified via adapters or a better SMA-F antenna. Just be careful not to damage that pin on the radio.

W8VI

Thank you guys for the info and review of the G4/G5 .

One more question, looks like you're limited to connecting an external antenna unless you purchase the base. Do you find that the sensitivity the same or better when comparing to the 436HP ?

I am monitoring clearly with no drop outs five different 800 MHz P25 systems 10-30 miles away with a 7 inch antenna connected to the G4. Sitting next to the G4 monitoring the same systems is a 436HP that on a good day can hear about 15% of what the G4 is able to reliably monitor. With the 436/536 the more distant counties are nearly deaf compared to the G4.

Part of it is the excellent receiver that is designed for only 700-800 MHz but I believe the biggest difference is Unication has figured out the simulcast issue of selecting just one towers signal while ignoring the others.

For whats its worth I no longer use or need a 800 MHz yagi on two towers at 85 and 40 ft to monitor five local county systems. The stock and 7 inch antenna on the G4 works better monitoring the adjacent counties compared to any other receiving configuration I have tried.

When Unication finally updates to Phase II I would expect a similar LSM receiving advantage compared to current consumer scanners.

Last edited:

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
For whats its worth I no longer use or need a 800 MHz yagi on two towers at 85 and 40 ft to monitor five local county systems. The stock and 7 inch antenna on the G4 works better monitoring the adjacent counties compared to any other receiving configuration I have tried.

When Unication finally updates to Phase II I would expect a similar LSM receiving advantage compared to current consumer scanners.

What brand 7 inch antenna are you using?

W8VI

What brand 7 inch antenna are you using?

A Motorola Part # 8505241U11 is the 7 inch antenna

Also have a 3 and 3/4 inch Motorola Part # NAR6595A antenna

Here at my location the 7 inch normally receives 1 signal bar better and is less susceptible to modem and computer RFI. I use the NAR6595A while mobile or away from the shack on a second G4. The 7 inch antenna receives the distant 30+ mile systems better as expected.

Check out the Unication thread - Better G5 Antenna for some excellent opinions on G4/G5 antennas.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.