• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Do We Need A Separate Unication Sub-Forum Yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
As posted above, do we need a separate Unication sub-forum yet?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Not yet.

Judging by all the thread activity by a few members, it might warrant one in the future but for now, we'll leave it alone.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I am wondering if anybody here has come up with any sort of Unication G4/G5 Hints, Tips, And Tricks for the pagers yet? For example, with so much available memory, one could program in some channels with just one single talkgroup if they didn't want to risk missing activity on a particular talkgroup. Or, for that matter, you could even have one channel position always set to monitor all. Clicking from position 1 to position 2 is easier and quicker than selecting it in the traditional manner.

David_Oney

Former Unication Tech Support
Premium Subscriber
I am wondering if anybody here has come up with any sort of Unication G4/G5 Hints, Tips, And Tricks for the pagers yet? For example, with so much available memory, one could program in some channels with just one single talkgroup if they didn't want to risk missing activity on a particular talkgroup. Or, for that matter, you could even have one channel position always set to monitor all. Clicking from position 1 to position 2 is easier and quicker than selecting it in the traditional manner.

If you add a TGID with all f's as the ID it should behave like monitor mode.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
I don't believe that FFFF works as a talkgroup wildcard, like it does for some of the system and site parameters. Has anyone had any luck with a talkgroup wildcard? I believe the only way is to switch to monitor mode through the menu.

If you add a TGID with all f's as the ID it should behave like monitor mode.

baybum

What would the harm be in starting a sub-forum? Might be a few "people" but there are a heck of a lot of posts. Let's give Dave the same space to assist his people as we give Don, Paul, Wendy and others.

radio3353

What would the harm be in starting a sub-forum? Might be a few "people" but there are a heck of a lot of posts. Let's give Dave the same space to assist his people as we give Don, Paul, Wendy and others.

Agreed. Since the G5 may be our only fix to the P25 Ph2 simulcast problems, they deserve space at least equal to Uniden and Whistler who seemingly ignore this issue. How about it moderators?

Thank God I didn't blow $850 for a G5 with the serious issues you guys are reporting. Interesting part is these issues are also happening on the G4 series as well..

I would vote for a sub section for sure. That way I can reference the issues as time progresses. Along with seeing how their customer service handles it.

cpetraglia

Thank God I didn't blow $850 for a G5 with the serious issues you guys are reporting. Interesting part is these issues are also happening on the G4 series as well..

I would vote for a sub section for sure. That way I can reference the issues as time progresses. Along with seeing how their customer service handles it.
I bought a G4 for $850 and it's the best receiver I have ever owned. There are issues, but in my opinion they are minor. Let me also say that Unication has always responded to my questions and done everything they could to assist me, and quickly.
I am not sure what serious issues you are speaking of. !!

I bought a G4 for $850 and it's the best receiver I have ever owned. There are issues, but in my opinion they are minor. Let me also say that Unication has always responded to my questions and done everything they could to assist me, and quickly.
I am not sure what serious issues you are speaking of. !!
We must be reading different reports if you consider "audio failure due to possible overheating " a minor issue. Especially when this device is geared towards Fire and EMS, I would say that's definitely mission critical.

I don't know what you do for a living, but in our field (EMS), we work in all types of conditions. Hot, Steamy, Cold, Rainy, Snowy weather etc. Now for a device that is marketed to us to fail, that's no bueno!

"Best Receiver ever owned " is very subjective considering that my Harris P series (owned by me) is and has a" Great Receive " on P25 LSM Trunking. (I bought it used on flea bay for about 3 bills.) Professional radios don't suffer the same issues as the scanners we have. We have to keep that in mind.

PS.. I'm hard on this company for the main reason that they are attempting to pass a product to Fire and EMS at a price point that doesn't warrant a $850 tag. The audio failure due to possible overheating and the rest of the issues you guys are complaining along with the "wish list" of things to be added should not be happening at this point. In my book, they rushed to release a product. Hobbyists that bought into or loaned these units to test them, have REALLY tested and stressed these units out. As a result these problems came about. The most I would pay for this device is $500. I think that's fair considering I can only do P25 800 with either UHF or VHF.

But hey that's just MY opinion!

DanRollman

Database Admin

True, opinions on this stuff vary from one user to the next, even under identical facts. And the user and his application matter a lot.

I own a 436, a G5, and a KNG-P800 radio (programmed in RX Only mode on various Phase 1 and Phase 2 P25 trunking systems). They are all priced very differently, and perform accordingly.

The 436 obviously has all the LSM issues everyone knows about, and is all but useless in many circumstances listening to many simulcast P25 trunking systems.

The G5 costs around twice as much as a 436, but the G5 performs considerably better than twice as well as a 436, IMHO. So in my book, the G5 earned its price tag. (Unless you just think all radios are overpriced, or you're made of money, either of which doesn't push a "comparison" conversation forward.)

Similarly, my KNG cost more than twice what my G5 did, and my KNG performs and sounds better than my G5, naturally. But it doesn't have Bluetooth and is much bigger and heavier.

Advantage 436 when I want whiz-bang features, like Discovery Mode on a new system or might want to listen to various things on all bands at the same time. Advantage G5 when I need small size, light weight and overall portability and will be mostly listening to Phase I P25 simulcast trunking so don't want the 436's terrible quality and sound on that mode. Advantage KNG when I'm exclusively focused on an 800 MHz DTRS, especially Phase II, and just want it to work great and sound great all the time.

Frankly if I had to go from 3 radios to 2, it's the 436 I'd give up. But I listen to P25 trunking all the time.

Dan

cpetraglia

We must be reading different reports if you consider "audio failure due to possible overheating " a minor issue. Especially when this device is geared towards Fire and EMS, I would say that's definitely mission critical.

I don't know what you do for a living, but in our field (EMS), we work in all types of conditions. Hot, Steamy, Cold, Rainy, Snowy weather etc. Now for a device that is marketed to us to fail, that's no bueno!

"Best Receiver ever owned " is very subjective considering that my Harris P series (owned by me) is and has a" Great Receive " on P25 LSM Trunking. (I bought it used on flea bay for about 3 bills.) Professional radios don't suffer the same issues as the scanners we have. We have to keep that in mind.

PS.. I'm hard on this company for the main reason that they are attempting to pass a product to Fire and EMS at a price point that doesn't warrant a $850 tag. The audio failure due to possible overheating and the rest of the issues you guys are complaining along with the "wish list" of things to be added should not be happening at this point. In my book, they rushed to release a product. Hobbyists that bought into or loaned these units to test them, have REALLY tested and stressed these units out. As a result these problems came about. The most I would pay for this device is $500. I think that's fair considering I can only do P25 800 with either UHF or VHF.

Because you are able to afford and program commercial grade radios, I can see where your opinion comes from. I equate the audio issue to users other than PS setting the volume to near full blast to be able to hear it in a vehicle. No amplifier will last long set at such high volumes. I am only deducting this from what I have read. Unication as we are told has no issues with their large multiple unit customers, but who knows. My post was purely based on my own experience. In this price range, and ease of operation, I don't believe there is yet a better unit made that deals with LSM.

cpetraglia;2635758 I equate the audio issue to users other than PS setting the volume to near full blast to be able to hear it in a vehicle. No amplifier will last long set at such high volumes. I am only deducting this from what I have read. Unication as we are told has no issues with their large multiple unit customers said:
You see that's what doesn't sit right and doesn't make sense. These pagers are supposedly targeted and have been sold to numerous departments across the country. From my experience, These departments do not treat these toys like a hobbyists does. They run their equipment till they die. As a hobbyists, I take care of my toys. That's because I spent the money on it. Not some federal grant or tax payers footing the bill.

Which brings the million dollar question, if hobbyists have these issues, why haven't they been fixed considering the departments run these devices through its paces? If I remember correctly, I believe David said that his pro customers haven't had the issues you guys are reporting.

That leads me to believe that #1, scanner hobbyists are a bunch of liars or #2 this company has only sold a handful to a department, yes singular and not plural. I HIGHLY doubt #1 is the issue as for the most part, the owners have credibility in the field of scanning. I believe you guys more than I believe that is secretive on unit pricing, offers a credit for minitor trade in, fires others dealers from selling their units for posting prices on line. It's like really...

JASII

Memory Capacity
I did just send Mike an email to see if he would re-consider a separate Unication forum.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Let me think about it. Right now I'm still leaning towards no.

I'm not sure we need a forum for a product with only 4 threads which includes this one asking for a forum.

radio3353

Let me think about it. Right now I'm still leaning towards no.

I'm not sure we need a forum for a product with only 4 threads which includes this one asking for a forum.

Mike,

Not sure you are basing your decision on the correct metric. For example, the main thread has over 780 replies and over 52,000 views. It contains more subjects than anyone can comprehend. I think what people are hoping is that a separate forum will encourage people to not hijack a thread and instead open up more specific threads. Alternatives to consumer scanners is becoming a high priority because of their limitations with newer systems and the Unication products appear to be a fan favorite considering the amount of traffic it is generating. I also think Unication David's response about preferring a separate forum is valid. We need technical participation from the manufacturers and should encourage it. He provides good answers beyond the marketing BS.

EMTBob

Premium Subscriber
I have mine set up by counties in my system say like
Westmoreland
Fayette
Ect
then I have the broken down by groups
All Dispatch
Fire Ops
EMS Ops
Misc County
Ect