• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What Changes Would You Most Like To See On The Unication G4/G5 Pagers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
As posted above, now what we had a recent update, what additional changes would you like to see on future Unication updates? Mine are as follows:

-Encryption Muting

-Ability To Switch From Scan To Manual

-Ability To Lockout Channels/Talkgroups

I know that it has been discussed a while back, but I think muting the encrypted audio would be a huge benefit. Some channels/talkgroups locally use encryption selectively. Having the ability to mute the encrypted audio sound would be nice.

Most scanners, amateur radios, and commercial radios that I am aware of have the ability to turn scanning on and off. There are times in which I simply want to monitor one channel/talkgroup without having to hear other channels/talkgroups.

Most scanners, amateur radios, and commercial radios that I am aware of give the end user the ability to delete channels/talkgroups from the scan list. Even if it were simply a one touch "nuisance delete." That way the channel/talkgroup is temporarily deleted, but reappears inf the radio is power cycled.

county

Premium Subscriber
1. TG ID Hold (invoked by front-panel manual selection of TG, or a 'hold' soft-key of currently-active TG)- this might be what you alread listed JASII as 'switch from scan to manual'
2. If TG ID Priority-Scan is used, add ability to specify the number of priority TGs. I think most users typically only practically need 1-2 priority TGs that preempt everything else. In the current implementation, with a large scan-list, preempt priority ability for any talkgroup 'above' the active one is problematic on a busy system. Even just a priority 1 & 2 would be better than a full-list priority.
3. Adjustable TG ID-scan hold-delay duration, by TG ID.
4. TG-ID/conventional-channel scan temporary and 'permanent' lockout (aka 'Nuisance delete' as you said JASII)
5. Trunking System User-ID alpha-tags displayed on screen
6. Trunking System User-ID alerting option (could be very useful even for the pager-crowd if you want to be alerted when a certain user or console is active)
7. Trunking Site Alpha Tag displayed on-screen
8. Option to allow 'Menu' not to be interrupted by live radio-traffic
9. Enhanced Playback options: such as skip (back and forward), replay same recording, skip to recording by #

(I realize these may be a stretch but here goes!)
-Multi-system trunking scan in same Zone/Channel
-Mix conventional/trunking scan in same Zone/Channel

Last edited:

cpetraglia

For me, if we are talking next generation, we need a headphone jack. We need the ability to extract the audio for use with an amplified speaker of choice. The BT just doesn't work for me. That's my biggest wish. After that, the ability to hold on a TG, set a TG delay in software would be fine, and get the menu option to override scanning until changes are complete. My system is so busy, I have to disconnect the ant. so as to complete the menu changes without being interrupted constantly.
Otherwise it's a fantastic radio. !!!
P.S. After 4 months of use, no audio issues as reported by others.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
, and get the menu option to override scanning until changes are complete. My system is so busy, I have to disconnect the ant. so as to complete the menu changes without being interrupted constantly.

I strongly agree with this one! It is very annoying, and seems like a software bug more than anything else.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
county, my list reads almost exactly as yours. My additions:

The ability to move TGID's up and down in PPS Tab 4. Since you can right click and move up or down in Tab 5, I don't see this as a hard sell. I montior a few systems where I always find new talkgroups....it would be nice to add them around the other talkgroups I have for that same system instead of the next available number at the bottom.

The ability to increase the maximum speaker volume in PPS. Right now the highest it will is 100 and when mobile its really not that loud compared to my XTS. I'd like to be able to knock it up higher obviously without compromising the speaker.

Phase II TDMA !!!!!

Muffled audio fix. Still not resolved although I haven't had issues lately.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
Those are all good suggestions. Being able to use the menu during an active signal is EXTREMELY annoying, so anything that makes that situation better would be greatly appreciated. Talkgroup hold and skip functions are right up there at the top of my list as well.

I'd appreciate a little more volume on the max side, but also NO volume, when it's set to zero too. There are times, I'd just like to turn it down to nothing.

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
I'd like to set on / off duty defaults per knob position. Such as setting knob position 1 as 'on duty' and position 2 is 'off duty'.

The PPS needs the ability to cut/copy/paste talkgroups and frequencies. Would really help to organize programming.

JASII

Memory Capacity
.....The PPS needs the ability to cut/copy/paste talkgroups and frequencies. Would really help to organize programming.

Yes, thank you very much for mentioning that. I have thought of it, but never posted it. That would be a huge improvement.

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
Not so much for the hobby crowd, but I found a major annoyance the other day. I was doing a demo with 800 paging via a dispatch console. I noticed each key up would act as a separate alert. While I understand that's how a paging tg will work, there needs to be a setting to not alert for additional keying within x amount of time.

Example- multi select of page group, dispatch tg and legacy vhf. Press console alert tone, release, then give message.

Since it sees 2 transmissions it alerts twice. It would be great to have a setting to not alert again. 3-5 seconds should do it.

ZapBugs

Enable 2 tone alert pages on p25.
I understand the "tones are not good" concept. But since I cannot even hear the analog paging transmitter, I currently get zero pages.
I would put up with some intermittent performance, maybe even false alerts, for the benefit of getting some alerts. Some are way better than <<NONE>>
Add adjustments for tone freq bandwidth, timing, etc. If I can pick out my tone pair by ear, it should be able to come close.
Plus I have heard that other FF are taking a scanner output, feeding to a PC and it is decoding. So the p25 tones must be somewhat ok.

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
For temporary use during a disaster drill, I have connected a tone encoder to an 800 portable and sent tones across it. Somewhere else the 800 was patched to VHF. It would alert pagers about 80% of the time.

kb7gjy

Feed Provider
For the next generation, VHF (145-180MHz) and UHF (440-480MHz), that would allow monitoring of USFS fires while working with them, and being dual band for places in Idaho which use these two bands. The broader range would also allow users to monitor some ham radio freqs as well.

cpetraglia

Not so much for the hobby crowd, but I found a major annoyance the other day. I was doing a demo with 800 paging via a dispatch console. I noticed each key up would act as a separate alert. While I understand that's how a paging tg will work, there needs to be a setting to not alert for additional keying within x amount of time.

Example- multi select of page group, dispatch tg and legacy vhf. Press console alert tone, release, then give message.

Since it sees 2 transmissions it alerts twice. It would be great to have a setting to not alert again. 3-5 seconds should do it.
I would consider this a TG delay feature which is important to us hobbyists. Especially on a very busy system. User configured in software per TG.

ZapBugs

Have it power on when external power is applied, and turn off when power is removed.
I tried removing the battery, but it does not power up with external power connected.
This would be for putting into a vehicle, located out of reach and out of sight.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
county, my list reads almost exactly as yours. My additions:

The ability to move TGID's up and down in PPS Tab 4. Since you can right click and move up or down in Tab 5, I don't see this as a hard sell. I montior a few systems where I always find new talkgroups....it would be nice to add them around the other talkgroups I have for that same system instead of the next available number at the bottom.

The ability to increase the maximum speaker volume in PPS. Right now the highest it will is 100 and when mobile its really not that loud compared to my XTS. I'd like to be able to knock it up higher obviously without compromising the speaker.

Phase II TDMA !!!!!

Muffled audio fix. Still not resolved although I haven't had issues lately.

I know a couple of these may be repeated again, but after using the G5 for a few weeks now these are really needed:

Front display should display site Alias instead off RFSS/Site Number. There is a section to alpha tag it in PPS so why not be able to display it. I listen to a Statewide TRS and would like to know what site I'm on as it switches because not all sites carry the same talk groups. This way I can switch to just monitoring that specific site although it may not have the best available signal compared to others (but it has the radio traffic I want to hear and I'm within monitoring distance).

Talkgroup hold button and nuisance delete. Yes I have talk groups programmed to other knob selector positions to monitor one specific one, but it would be so much easier to just press a button to hold it while mobile or a long press to delete a talk group that I no longer want to monitor without having to hook it back up to PPS.

Change ms delay time while scanning trunked talkgroups. Some dispatcher are not as quick to the PTT as others and its missing the reply because it scans off and stops on another talk group. Option does appear to be available for analog.

Subscriber/RID alpha tagging with an option to import into PPS via .csv.

Z/C menu interrupted by active comms.
I can't reiterate how annoying this is !!!

ENC talk group silence similar to what Whistler does with a low volume busy tone. Or be able to lockout the TG via nuisance delete like above.

PPS - moving talkgroups up or down like zones as stated above.

Conv displays "landing on" in monitor mode which is small and difficult to read. Main display just shows "CSQ" should switch those on the screen so it's easier to see.

Just my .02. Again, I know this is not what this unit was originally designed for but simple additions and I think Unication can really grab a share of the market. I for one refuse to buy another scanner from Whistler or Uniden for monitoring any LSM trunked system until the learn how to properly decode it. Unication has. And while the price may be a little more than a scanner, it's worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David_Oney

Former Unication Tech Support
Premium Subscriber
I know a couple of these may be repeated again, but after using the G5 for a few weeks now these are really needed:

Front display should display site Alias instead off RFSS/Site Number. There is a section to alpha tag it in PPS so why not be able to display it.

It is on the display you just have to scroll down to see it. You can move the site name to the top in Tab 7 of the PPS in the Home Screen Settings.

cpetraglia

"Just my .02. Again, I know this is not what this unit was originally designed for but simple additions and I think Unication can really grab a share of the market. I for one refuse to buy another scanner from Whistler or Uniden for monitoring any LSM trunked system until the learn how to properly decode it. Unication has. And while the price may be a little more than a scanner, it's worth it."

I agree with this. Especially since Scanner Master is now selling these. There will be a whole lot of these requests as more and more folks buy them.
Top on my list is TG hold and adjustable TG Delay. Lets also clean up the menu interruption. (Big)

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
David I think he means on the MAIN window without having to scroll ?
Atleast I cant change that set info.I can change the order of items we can scroll.Just cant change that MAIN display Items.
How can we change the rfss/site:2/77 to a NAME

QUOTE=Unication_David;2653620]It is on the display you just have to scroll down to see it. You can move the site name to the top in Tab 7 of the PPS in the Home Screen Settings.[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• IMG_0086.jpg
    IMG_0086.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 2,337
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.