RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Unication Forum

Unication Forum - Forum for discussion of Unication products.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2017, 1:36 PM
Moderator---not censor
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal-Zero View Post
Yeah, that doesn't work. I've switched systems, talkgroups, hard reset, etc. Still working great with the Motorola antenna. Nada win the stock or RS-800 with an SMA to BNC antenna. Checked the pin, everything is seated properly. Going to Unication through my dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you sure it didn't push the pin down a little?
Old 04-06-2017, 1:39 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Does the G5 stock antenna have the flat SMA connector like Motorola uses, or does it have the recessed connector like what every one else uses?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2017, 6:00 PM

FYI the RS-800 with the adapter was working fine before the use of the Motorola. I switched between that and the stock antenna numerous times with no issues. Switching to the Motorola caused the issue.

I've removed the pin and checked it. Looks good. I even installed the pin into the antenna first and then screwed in the antenna. It's almost as if the pin only likes the Motorola now. Pin fits tight in all so it doesn't appear to me that the Motorola shaved it a bit.

It's under warranty so Unication can figure it ot.

Old 04-06-2017, 6:51 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

counting down the days till i get the G5V pager not going to try any antennas hope it works just the way it comes.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:20 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

The G5 stock antenna SMA connector is recessed about 1/4 inch.
Sponsored links
Old 04-06-2017, 11:25 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Might try finding another Motorola antenna with the flat sma and another recessed sma, even of a different band and see if they make any difference. I suspect in the flattened Motorola antenna the center pin bottoms out and has shortened the pin inside the pager by pressing it down into the frame more. Thus making it too short to connect to the center of the recessed sma antenna.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1100mac View Post
I am very impressed with my new G5 although I am waiting for the Phase 2 upgrade to listen to ALL of the systems I monitor. It seems to hear the local conventional p-25 traffic well with the internal antenna.
Just playing, I ordered a BNC male to Motorola SMA adapter for $12 on ebay and attached my R/S 800mhz rubber duck and all of my phase 1 trunking systems went from 1 or 2 bars to 5 bars across the board. I also tried a direct fit Motorola APX 800 duck and saw no difference from the factory supplied stubbie. Go figure.

What systems can you monitor with the G5 right now? Pretty much everything is Phase 2. South Sound 9 1 1 being one example, who knows when that will be completed. Washington State Patrol in Tacoma went Phase 2 so no longer can listen to them.. same with the Pierce County Sheriff's Department Puyallup Police Department Lakewood Police Department Tacoma Police Department and so on
Old 04-07-2017, 12:18 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Tacoma wsp is not phase 2, i listen to the entire state as i move around, on p25 conventional
(Including tacoma). I also programmed WSPDOT and find that seattle is the only district currently using it exclusively and i hear them loud and clear here in tacoma (45 miles away). You are correct about the other agencies you mention (SS911 & PSRS) are phase 2.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:31 PM

And what does this have to do with the G5 antenna? Stop hijacking the thread.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Who died and made you boss?? If you had taken the time to read the previous thread you might have seen i was answering another members (who has the same standing and horsepower as you on this site) specific question. And furthermore tell me how I can hijack MY OWN THREAD??
Old 04-07-2017, 12:49 PM

I guess you don't know how to read the rules. Your logic is basically saying you can start a thread about an antenna for a G5 but then post about Phase I vs Phase II. Maybe we can start discussing ham radio too. People click on a particular thread because they want to follow that specific topic. That's why I follow THIS thread. He can simply start a NEW thread with his questions.

I'm not the boss, nor do I want to be. I was a moderator on these forums for many years but threw in the towel because people can't follow simple rules.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:52 PM

And I was referring to verhiffj1 hijacking the thread. But you feeds the trolls so....

Old 04-07-2017, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1100mac View Post
Tacoma wsp is not phase 2, i listen to the entire state as i move around, on p25 conventional
(Including tacoma). I also programmed WSPDOT and find that seattle is the only district currently using it exclusively and i hear them loud and clear here in tacoma (45 miles away). You are correct about the other agencies you mention (SS911 & PSRS) are phase 2.

Thanks for the information I appreciate it, unfortunately it appears there's some Grumpy Old Men on the forum
Old 07-06-2017, 12:24 PM

Are stock antennas that are supplied on Motorola XTS and MTS radios the same? I have an old MTS2000 with a 7" antenna that I could try on my G5 but the MTS radio is analog.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:52 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by verhoffj1 View Post
Thanks for the information I appreciate it, unfortunately it appears there's some Grumpy Old Men on the forum

The basic 800 MHz and 900 MHz antennas are the same. The 7/800 MHz antennas were not available on the MTS radios.

Old 07-06-2017, 8:32 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP387 View Post
Are stock antennas that are supplied on Motorola XTS and MTS radios the same? I have an old MTS2000 with a 7" antenna that I could try on my G5 but the MTS radio is analog.
You pulled the trigger and got one?? And on the antennas, you can use any of the ones from the MTS/XTS/APX series. I've got the stubby I used with my MTS, and I've also got one of the new APX 7/800 stubby I use also.
Old 07-07-2017, 8:57 AM

Saw your email before I saw this today.

I got the G5 on Saturday, programmed it right away and have been using it ever since. I know that you are out and about way more than I am so I was wondering how good it did on our system out of the county.

Do you see much difference between the stock antenna and your stubby Motorola antenna?
Old 07-09-2017, 11:51 AM

Has anyone tried one of these antenex/laird 1/4 wave antennas on a G5? If so how did it work?

http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalo...6-sf-2064.html