• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Better G5 Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1100mac

Premium Member
Premium Subscriber
I am very impressed with my new G5 although I am waiting for the Phase 2 upgrade to listen to ALL of the systems I monitor. It seems to hear the local conventional p-25 traffic well with the internal antenna.
Just playing, I ordered a BNC male to Motorola SMA adapter for $12 on ebay and attached my R/S 800mhz rubber duck and all of my phase 1 trunking systems went from 1 or 2 bars to 5 bars across the board. I also tried a direct fit Motorola APX 800 duck and saw no difference from the factory supplied stubbie. Go figure.

Attachments

• IMG_0396.jpg
    IMG_0396.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 2,646
  • IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 2,676
Last edited:

phirephoto

Premium Subscriber
Remember - VHF is handled by the internal antenna. The external antenna is only for 7/800. And I've found the stock antenna to do quite well on 7/800. But - keep in mind, there's the 'pin' length. If the center pin on the APX antenna isn't making contact, it might not even be 'used'. I lost the antenna, and tried a few antennas that worked well on a scanner, but left the G5 completely deaf on 7/800 - I'm assuming because they weren't making that center pin connection.

county

Premium Subscriber
I too am impressed with the performance of the stock shorty antenna! But if you need more performance this Moto XTS 700/800 7" duck is awesome: Motorola 8505241U11. It fits the G4/G5 and the SMA pin is long enough but the antenna skirt bulges just a littles bit when tightened all the way down.

It's available on a well known auction site for around $30 shipped, just be sure to look for the genuine article branded as Motorola.

Last edited:

cpetraglia

I took mine a step further with an 855 Mhz 6DB gain collinear outdoor antenna fed down with LMR400. I am receiving distant systems that my scanners were not hearing at all. Looking forward to the PII update.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Just playing, I ordered a BNC male to Motorola SMA adapter for $12 on ebay and attached my R/S 800mhz rubber duck and all of my phase 1 trunking systems went from 1 or 2 bars to 5 bars across the board. I also tried a direct fit Motorola APX 800 duck and saw no difference from the factory supplied stubbie. Go figure.

Funny how it always seems to go back to the RS800 antenna for most folks. I've always had good luck with that antenna and own a few of them. It's now available in SMA connector Remtronix REM-800B, Diamond REM-800S Scanner Antenna :cool:

county

Premium Subscriber
Funny how it always seems to go back to the RS800 antenna for most folks. I've always had good luck with that antenna and own a few of them. It's now available in SMA connector Remtronix REM-800B, Diamond REM-800S Scanner Antenna :cool:

That is great to know! FYI though to use this SMA male antenna with the G4/G5 one will need a gender changer adapter. I still plan to get one for use with my Uniden though!

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I too am impressed with the performance of the stock shorty antenna! But if you need more performance this Moto XTS 700/800 7" duck is awesome: Motorola 8505241U11. It fits the G4/G5 and the SMA pin is long enough but the antenna skirt bulges just a littles bit when tightened all the way down.

It's available on a well known auction site for around $30 shipped, just be sure to look for the genuine article branded as Motorola.

Anyone know of one that doesn't cause the antenna skirt to bulge ?

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Always improvising for improved reception. Isn't that what it's all about ! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I had a couple spare moto 800mhz stubby antennas and i cut the bottom rubber down and it fit perfectly. It was just a test. The moto stubby performed just as well as the supplied stubby. I guess if i needed Extra range i could do the same with one of my standard 7inch 700/800 apx antennas. I have a couple of those around.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
RS800 MHz antenna is the clear winner here again as well. 2-full bars over the stock stubby antenna.

6c51e503e5f36efe66053600c8a6a456.jpg

Last edited:

county

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know of one that doesn't cause the antenna skirt to bulge ?

Hi Signal-Zero- FYI it's not necessary to screw it all the way down to the point where it bulges. . the SMA pin does make contact before the bulge-point. And, it's almost a nit-pick item as the bulge is very slight. I will try to take a picture once I'm reunited with the antenna (temporarily misplaced it!). It makes a big difference in reception. And as others have said, a minor mod w/ a Dremel would do the trick.

Best,

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
DaveIN...what SMA to BNC connector did you use. It looks a bit more flush compared to b100mac's.

County...I should have an APX in my stockpile to try out. And I have a Dremel just in case [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I'd just like to be the first to point out the APX portables do not use SMA connectors. They use modified MX connectors which look similar to SMA when the GPS option is fitted. Using an APX antenna on a G4/G5 is literally the same as putting a GPS antenna on the pager.

county

Premium Subscriber
Here is a pic of the Moto XTS 700/800 7" duck model 8505241U11 I mentioned in a previous post.

If you look very closely you can just barely see the antenna-skirt bulging (happens when you tighten it down snug). Again, it's nit-pick, and can be resolved with a dremel tool if you so desire. But I'm not too skilled with such projects so I suspect I'd just turn the antenna bottom into a 'boogered' mess. . therefore will leave as-is!

This antenna has the correct connector on it (SMA-F). I like how it preserves the commercial look of the radio, vs use of adapters and/or consumer-grade scanner antennas etc. . but that's just my personal preference.

It's a big performance upgrade over stock, which is the most important thing. I have no means to scientifically quantify but in subjective testing it performs as good, perhaps slightly better than the famed RS800 antenna.

Best,

Attachments

• IMG_3400.jpg
    IMG_3400.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 2,192
Status
Not open for further replies.