• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G5 MPSCS Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
So far so good with the new G5 on the Michigan's MPSCS system; however, I have a question and/or possibly a suggestion for future firmware releases.

Does anyone know if the low side button can be programming for site search or if site search is even possible? I've noticed that the G5 seems to grab onto one site and not switch until the RSSI is very low; with this issue, we've also noticed missed traffic on several talk-groups that aren't carried full-time on the strongest neighboring site as well; on our XTS5000 series radios, we simply push and hold the programmed site key and force it to switch sites. If this isn't part of the G5 currently, can it be added?

David_Oney

Former Unication Tech Support
Premium Subscriber
The G5 uses a combination of RSSI and BER to determine when to switch as of right now there is no way to force it to switch without creating a second system lacking the particular site and adding it to a knob position.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I have MPSCS setup as stand alone sites and multi-site configurations just for that reason. I've also setup a limit search that works well for unknown systems. By the way, I've had fringe reception at >=25 miles LOS on the RS800MHz antenna. Great receiver!

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Glad to hear all these good reports about the Unication's performance and reception. In regards to that, has anyone experienced signal overloading, dropout, or total signal loss within close distance to a cell tower? This drives me crazy on the scanners. Since this device is meant to be for more professional use than a scanner and is more band specific than a scanner I was hoping it would be able to filter out overcome strong interference from cell sites.
Also, how many different systems can you program on a G4/G5?

JASII

Memory Capacity
...In regards to that, has anyone experienced signal overloading, dropout, or total signal loss within close distance to a cell tower?...Also, how many different systems can you program on a G4/G5?

I have had my Unication G5 for a number of months now and I have never had overloading, dropout, or total signal loss within close proximity to any cell towers or other strong signal sites. Going from a scanner to the G5 is like having a Motorola XTS5000 receiver with many more talkgroups.

With regards to trunked talkgroups, it is kind of confusing, but you can have up to 64 talkgroups in each "channel" position. There are 8 "channel" positions that can be selected with the rotary channel selector. So that is eight possible systems right there times 128, so the correct answer is 1,024 systems.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your observation! The reception is as I suspected but I needed confirmation. As to the amount of systems, yes that is a little confusing! But you alluded to the 8 position knob which controls what system you hear. So I guess if you had to program a multi site system like Michigan's MPSCS as separate systems you would end up in this situation...
County A system, County B system, County C system Site 1, County C system Site 2, County C system Site 3... and then you would only have 3 more options? Without getting too far off topic, I am interested in a unit but want to know it's full capabilities first. Thank you again!

Last edited:

JASII

Memory Capacity
I know that is how I was before I bought it. I listen to Minnesota ARMER system, which has simulcast sites near me. I typically have each county as a system. The most populous counties have more. For example, Ramsey County isn't huge area wise, but I have one group of 64 talkgroups for Saint Paul and another group for suburban Ramsey County.

Status
Not open for further replies.