• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Scan multiple Systems simultaneously?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanRollman

Database Admin
The Scannermaster webpage related to the G5 says "The Unication G5 receiver, when programmed to do so, will listen to up to 128 channels (conventional freqs or trunked talkgroups) on several Sites and Systems."

To me, that is saying the G5 can scan through talkgroups on 2 or more P25 trunked systems simultaneously, looking for and stopping to listen to activity on any of them. Is that true? I've never seen how to make this work in the programming software. When setting up a channel in Tab D5, I am forced to select a single P25 Trunking System, and then my "Talk Group List: Available" box is limited to talkgroups on that one system.

Is there another way? Or is the Scannermaster website just misleading (to me, at least)? If all they mean is that the G5 can STORE several systems to listen to one at a time, but not that you can actively "LISTEN to up to 128 channels... on several... Systems," that 's a strange way to say it.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
You can only monitor one trunked system at a time. You can scan many talkgroups on one trunked system at a time, or you can scan conventional channels. It's and either/or thing. If you want to monitor a different system, then you'll have to change to that system. You cannot scan conventional and trunked at the same time either. However, it's still a great receiver, especially compared to scanners that don't receive simulcast well enough.

DanRollman

Database Admin
Is there another way? Or is the Scannermaster website just misleading (to me, at least)? If all they mean is that the G5 can STORE several systems to listen to one at a time, but not that you can actively "LISTEN to up to 128 channels... on several... Systems," that 's a strange way to say it.

That same Scannermaster sales page also has a link to a "G4 User Manual" that claims the radio does "TDMA" (P25 Phase 2?) and also does DMR Conventional and DMR Trunking (MotoTRBO Connect Plus?), which we know isn't true, so no idea what's up with that.

DanRollman

Database Admin
You can only monitor one trunked system at a time.

Thanks. That's what I thought. "LISTEN to up to 128 channels... on several... Systems" - not so much. :roll:

However, it's still a great receiver, especially compared to scanners that don't receive simulcast well enough.

Totally agree. There are definitely "features" the Unication G4/G5 lack compared to Uniden or Whistler scanners, but given Uniden and Whistler scanners are very nearly doorstops when it comes to P25 simulcast systems, there's still no comparison. Just further proves there's no "one" radio or scanner to do it all. My Uniden 436, my Uniden G5, and my Relm KNG radios all have a purpose, for me.

radio3353

The G4/G5 do not lack any features of a Uniden/Whistler scanner. The G4/G5 are not traditional scanners. They are pagers. Two different products for two different markets!

However, the sudden popularity of the G4/G5 units for solving simulcast problems has apparently made Unication start thinking about making a scanner. Here is to their success.

DanRollman

Database Admin
The G4/G5 do not lack any features of a Uniden/Whistler scanner. The G4/G5 are not traditional scanners. They are pagers. Two different products for two different markets!

No, the G4/G5 lack a lot of the features of a Uniden/Whistler scanner. Precisely BECAUSE the G4/G5 was not made to be "primarily" a scanner (I say primarily because see below). My wife's minivan lacks a lot of the features of my 4WD precisely because it wasn't made to be a 4WD. But we can still compare features and capabilities of two vehicles, just as we can two radio receivers.

You should know, though, that Unication knew all along this would be a very useful receiver/scanner, separate and apart from its pager capabilities (which were, admittedly, it's primary purpose). I spoke at length with Kirk Alland, the General Manager of Unication, at IWCE several years ago when they were showing off prototypes and brochures of the G4 but they hadn't yet been released. In addition to its paging capabilities, Kirk spoke of volunteer firefighters being able to use a G4 to monitor dispatch and fireground traffic, neighborhood watch teams using it to monitor local police, and public safety agencies being able to use them as a second radio to scan neighboring agencies, each "in lieu of," and with better quality than, the consumer grade P25 trunking scanners those sorts of groups were currently using. So this sort of usage has been on Unication's radar since before the G4's were available for sale.

The G4/G5 lacks many of the features of a Uniden 436, for example, but it is (and was intended to be) a substitute for many applications a Uniden 436 is otherwise used in - like day-to-day scanning of P25 trunked talkgroups. And for that - which of course is the "core" purpose of a scanner - the G4/G5 actually beats the consumer scanners in quality, especially on simulcast systems!

Kudos to Unication for recognizing the versatility of this device.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber

However, the sudden popularity of the G4/G5 units for solving simulcast problems has apparently made Unication start thinking about making a scanner. Here is to their success.

This would be great news. A while back there was much discussion about this topic. A company stepping up to the plate and manufacturing a commercial grade scanner for public safety bands that would be built for the job. It's apparent that Uniden and Whistler are either incapable or just do not care to produce a quality product for receiving modern public safety networks.

A scanner built to a higher standard and performance level would also discourage folks from attempting to program subscriber type equipment to passively monitor trunked radio networks. Unfortunately at this time folks with linear simulcast systems have little choice but to use a G4 or G5 pager or study the threads about passive monitoring with subscriber equipment.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
The G5 cannot monitor an 800 P25 talk group and a VHF conventional channel at the same time?

I had been speaking with a dealer, and planning on purchasing a G5 to solve needing to monitor a P25 system and a VHF conventional channel at the same time, cutting down from two Minitor pagers to a single G5 unit (the Minitor monitors the low band dispatch which has terrible reception where i am, while the 800 P25 of that same dispatch is clear as can be) and was told the G5 could handle both at the same time.

I am aware the G5 can't monitor two trunked systems at once, which is not an issue, but was clearly lead by a dealer to believe I could monitor one town's FD dispatch on 800 P25 trunked and the neighbouring town's VHF dispatch simultaneously.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
No, the G5 cannot monitor a VHF and P25 channel at the same time, like that.

The G5 cannot monitor an 800 P25 talk group and a VHF conventional channel at the same time?

I had been speaking with a dealer, and planning on purchasing a G5 to solve needing to monitor a P25 system and a VHF conventional channel at the same time, cutting down from two Minitor pagers to a single G5 unit (the Minitor monitors the low band dispatch which has terrible reception where i am, while the 800 P25 of that same dispatch is clear as can be) and was told the G5 could handle both at the same time.

I am aware the G5 can't monitor two trunked systems at once, which is not an issue, but was clearly lead by a dealer to believe I could monitor one town's FD dispatch on 800 P25 trunked and the neighbouring town's VHF dispatch simultaneously.

Status
Not open for further replies.