RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Unication Forum

Unication Forum - Forum for discussion of Unication products.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2017, 9:27 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

QCII is a free update
Direct: 817-210-4187
Sponsored links
Old 07-26-2017, 9:28 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unication_David View Post
QCII is a free update
Even better news!!!
Old 07-26-2017, 9:31 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
This software allows the unit to decode QCII tones over Motorola RF just like some APX's do.
Please clarify this statement, as "Motorola RF" is technically a meaningless term.

Will this update decode QCII over either conventional or trunked P25? The manufacturer of the infrastructure should be irrelevant.

Note that the Tone Signaling option in the APX subscribers does exactly that. Regardless of whether it's a conventional P25 frequency or a trunked P25 talkgroup (both FDMA and TDMA), the APX is capable of decoding QCII tones.

Will the Unication have the same ability, and does this apply to both the G4 and G5?
Old 07-26-2017, 9:48 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

"Please clarify this statement, as "Motorola RF" is technically a meaningless term."

It is not a meaningless term QCII Encoding is handled differently depending on the Manufacturer. Many manufacturers have different tone sets and we have to take that into account. Moto has a very different tone set to say Kenwood. No standardized tone set exists for P25 it is dependent on manufacturer just like analog has Motorola tones, GE tones Plectron Tones, Reach tones, Fast reach, and fast Plectron. They all can have different timings as well we started with Motorola because it is the most prominent with our current customers.
Will this update decode QCII over either conventional or trunked P25? The manufacturer of the infrastructure should be irrelevant."

It will decode over both P25C and P25T.

"Note that the Tone Signaling option in the APX subscribers does exactly that. Regardless of whether it's a conventional P25 frequency or a trunked P25 talkgroup (both FDMA and TDMA), the APX is capable of decoding QCII tones."

"Will the Unication have the same ability, and does this apply to both the G4 and G5?"

It does apply to both units.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:10 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

David, I was going to try to PM you but I keep getting some sort of Error Code type thing so I'm not sure if you can't get PM's or if the board is just acting up. I know you stay busy but I had a few questions I'd like to ask and I don't want to bog down this thread with them as they aren't relevant to this thread.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:13 PM
Database Admin

Quote:
It is not a meaningless term QCII Encoding is handled differently depending on the Manufacturer. Many manufacturers have different tone sets and we have to take that into account. Moto has a very different tone set to say Kenwood. No standardized tone set exists for P25 it is dependent on manufacturer just like analog has Motorola tones, GE tones Plectron Tones, Reach tones, Fast reach, and fast Plectron.
Actually, when it comes to any tones over P25 modulation (QCII, DTMF, Knox, etc.), DVSI ultimately determines what tone frequencies equate to what standardized tone frequency the AMBE+2 vocoder will encode/decode it as. It doesn't matter if it's from the Motorola QCII plan or some other plan like old Plectron tones, there is a range of Hertz that any tone within will change to a standardized tone over digital. In fact, there are more tone choices for TDMA than there are FDMA (conventional or trunked), so that's a big factor as well.

I would politely suggest that if you haven't already, you look into these standardized vocoder tones before proceeding further. You should be able to obtain all pertinent info from DVSI.

Aside from the actual tone frequencies themselves, yes there can also be variations in tone timing. In this instance, that's much easier for you to control via software parameters that the customer can adjust for their particular system.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:19 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

i don't need Phase-2 up date but hope these new up dates are FREE?
Old 07-26-2017, 11:14 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidzimmerman View Post
i don't need Phase-2 up date but hope these new up dates are FREE?
David stated the QCII update will be free. The Phase 2 won't be.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:49 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Phase 2 requires licensing that is why there is a charge all other updates not requiring licensing will be free.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:20 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default QCII on P25 Update Question

I was looking for something else and came across the G4/G5 FAQ's 2017 PDF and saw this:

Using TGIDs is problematic for my application, are there other methodsWe now support three methods for P25 paging; TGID, Call Alert and QCII over P25. Please contact us to determine which method is best for your application.

I haven't seen any updates saying there's a firmware update anywhere. The first place I checked was here on RR to see if anything was posted. Was this a misprint on there or was it added since that feature is in it's beta testing stage?

David do you have anymore update wise on Unication's end on where you guys are at with the beta testing?
Old 08-15-2017, 12:25 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM4WLV View Post
I was looking for something else and came across the G4/G5 FAQ's 2017 PDF and saw this:

Using TGIDs is problematic for my application, are there other methodsWe now support three methods for P25 paging; TGID, Call Alert and QCII over P25. Please contact us to determine which method is best for your application.

I haven't seen any updates saying there's a firmware update anywhere. The first place I checked was here on RR to see if anything was posted. Was this a misprint on there or was it added since that feature is in it's beta testing stage?

David do you have anymore update wise on Unication's end on where you guys are at with the beta testing?
We are looking at the release being pushed out in a week or so. We have to create the documents to accompany the release and i have to finish up the testing on my end. This release is looking great so far just have to be sure to dot the i's and cross the t's if you will. I will be sure to keep you all informed as we move forward.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:58 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

David, I'm hoping you can answer this question for me. My county uses old QCII tones on a 33 MHz frequency. These tones are also simulcast over the UHF P25 Phase I TRS, however they are not sent out "from" the TRS, just over it. In other words, they are not using APX radios to decode tones that I'm aware of, but the tones are used to activate low-band Minitor pagers.

With the new QCII over P25 update that is coming soon, would I theoretically be able to monitor the trunked dispatch talkgroup for these tone sets and have the pager activate for them?
Old 08-16-2017, 7:36 AM

Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2017, 4:39 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
We are looking at the release being pushed out in a week or so. We have to create the documents to accompany the release and i have to finish up the testing on my end. This release is looking great so far just have to be sure to dot the i's and cross the t's if you will. I will be sure to keep you all informed as we move forward.
Sounds good. I should've asked this in the last post I made, but when I switch my pager over to our P25 whether I leave it parked on one TG (well on Trunking TG Scan with one TG on that knob position), or on scan, the battery drops faster. I thought at first it might be a signal issue causing the receiver to work harder but I normally get either full signal or just one bar drop on the P25 side. Is there anyway to get better battery life on the P25 side? It would be great if there were a larger capacity battery available.
Old 08-16-2017, 5:42 PM

How long is your battery lasting for on average either parked or active scanning ? I'll try both ways on my G5 and see how long I'm getting on a full charge for comparison. Rule out battery issue or pager issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2017, 8:59 AM

Mine will normally last 18-19 hours on the P25 side scanning our three primary dispatch TG's on a "normal" day.
Old 08-22-2017, 9:51 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

any updates on when this firmware up date might come out

Last edited by MBECKNELL; 08-22-2017 at 11:31 AM..
Old 09-02-2017, 8:49 AM

Quote:
David - an update please?
Old 09-05-2017, 1:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymail View Post
David - an update please?
We hit a snag with the release and i sent it back to be reworked shouldn't take long its an easy fix. I will keep you updated
Old 10-05-2017, 8:13 AM

Anyone get this to work?