RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Unication Forum

Unication Forum - Forum for discussion of Unication products.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-31-2017, 10:17 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Decreased Sensitivity in Monitor Mode in G5 P25T (VHF)

When I activate monitor mode on a VHF P25 trunked system, following each reception the signal seems to be lost. This makes the mode unusable on the G5.

I decided to try using the Diagnostic mode and discovered that with monitor mode turned off, the received signal shows ">-100". Turning on monitor mode makes no change. However, once a talkgroup is received the signal drops to -106 or worse. It tends to remain in the degraded condition until monitor mode is again turned off. The pager is set on a specific site so it is not searching for other sites.

This behavior is the same whether using the built-in antenna or if I place it on the charger with an external antenna 12 feet away, so this does not appear to be related to the proximity of the antenna unless the internal antenna is always active and internally generated noise results from activation of this circuit. As a side note, on the internal antenna I can only pick up one site whereas on the external antenna I receive 7 different sites at >-100.

There is no 700/800 MHz activity in my area so I can't verify it this is consistent behavior across bands.

Has anyone else experienced this or know of a possible solution, or is this perhaps something that could be rectified in a firmware update?

I love this little pager. It serves my alerting and monitoring purposes as well as being a fabulous plaything (beats a fidget spinner LOL!) The sensitivity is fabulous. I finally figured out how to store channels to the User Defined and Channel setting zones for conventional channels, although the ability to edit frequencies and talkgroups seems to be disabled even though they appear in the menu.

I hope there is a solution to the monitor mode issue.
Sponsored links
Old 05-31-2017, 1:01 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I had an issue with mine many months ago where on one system, in monitor mode it would loose signal strength and threw an error up on the screen. I had asked Unication (Thru Dave) to identify the error and never got an answer. Once monitor mode was turned off, everything was fine. I gave up trying to get technical answers from them. I just don't use MM anymore.
Old 05-31-2017, 9:17 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Default Decreased Sensitivity? Monitor mode G5 pager

deleted. -----------------------------------

Last edited by Johnnydollar2; 05-31-2017 at 9:52 PM.. Reason: edits
Old 06-03-2017, 2:56 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I don't know if this is related or not, but hopefully close enough, but my G5 will lock up on a Phase 2 talkgroup and just sit there until you power cycle it. G4 does the same thing.