• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Decreased Sensitivity in Monitor Mode in G5 P25T (VHF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpreece

When I activate monitor mode on a VHF P25 trunked system, following each reception the signal seems to be lost. This makes the mode unusable on the G5.

I decided to try using the Diagnostic mode and discovered that with monitor mode turned off, the received signal shows ">-100". Turning on monitor mode makes no change. However, once a talkgroup is received the signal drops to -106 or worse. It tends to remain in the degraded condition until monitor mode is again turned off. The pager is set on a specific site so it is not searching for other sites.

This behavior is the same whether using the built-in antenna or if I place it on the charger with an external antenna 12 feet away, so this does not appear to be related to the proximity of the antenna unless the internal antenna is always active and internally generated noise results from activation of this circuit. As a side note, on the internal antenna I can only pick up one site whereas on the external antenna I receive 7 different sites at >-100.

There is no 700/800 MHz activity in my area so I can't verify it this is consistent behavior across bands.

Has anyone else experienced this or know of a possible solution, or is this perhaps something that could be rectified in a firmware update?

I love this little pager. It serves my alerting and monitoring purposes as well as being a fabulous plaything (beats a fidget spinner LOL!) The sensitivity is fabulous. I finally figured out how to store channels to the User Defined and Channel setting zones for conventional channels, although the ability to edit frequencies and talkgroups seems to be disabled even though they appear in the menu.

I hope there is a solution to the monitor mode issue.

cpetraglia

I had an issue with mine many months ago where on one system, in monitor mode it would loose signal strength and threw an error up on the screen. I had asked Unication (Thru Dave) to identify the error and never got an answer. Once monitor mode was turned off, everything was fine. I gave up trying to get technical answers from them. I just don't use MM anymore.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Decreased Sensitivity? Monitor mode G5 pager

deleted. -----------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I don't know if this is related or not, but hopefully close enough, but my G5 will lock up on a Phase 2 talkgroup and just sit there until you power cycle it. G4 does the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.