RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Old 06-03-2017, 2:47 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default G5 UHF scan?

When I am on the Analog UHF bank in my G5, can I put in a scan list in it somehow, or am I limited to just one channel in each bank?

A little confused with the programming here
Sponsored links
Old 06-03-2017, 3:17 PM

Not certain I understand the question but --

I've programmed several 8TAC (800 Mhz) conventional channels. Each channel is programmed in Monitor Mode and assigned to a switch position. Once these are in place, you can then create a "Scan List" (Normal Scan) in a different switch position for any/all of those individual channels.That is - in order to create a scanlist list, each item (to my knowledge) needs to be programmed in Monitor Mode (or Selective Call) first.

If I misunderstood, please advise.
Not a Radio Shack fan.....
Old 06-03-2017, 3:42 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Default G5 UHF scan? ... yes.

IF it's like the G5 VHF version you make your list of frequencies in #2 in the PPS under the Conventional or UHF frequency setting at the top. You go through steps 3 and 4 and in step #5 YOU add your trunked Talkgroups AND UHF to the ZONE knob positions. After you're done with the Trunked Talkgroups you need to make ONE of those square a CONTROL box for the other *up to 16 knob positions where you have the UHF freqs stored. *light blue box* in ConvZone #3. That box controls ALL of the CSQ boxes with ONE frequency you see in the yellow boxes. Each of those freqs are in MONITOR mode. ONE for each knob position in your ZONES. *mine say CSQ in the photo. OK?... now what? I made the 3rd Zone, FIRST knob as my control for all the Conventional frequencies. Use NORMAL scan or Priority scan to ADD the KNOB positions to your control. The instructions say, use NORMAL or Priority scan to scan up 16 knob positions. It's like ONE controls the other 16 UHF/VHF set to monitor mode. With each new frequency you add, you have to go back to the CONTROL box and add that new knob position so it can be scanned like a list. One thing, when you program the pager and expect to see it scanning the UHF list? you have to make sure you click to the CONTROL knob to that UHF/VHF list so it will work.
It took me awhile to figure it out but I scan 19 or 20 VHF knob positions now for one of my counties. I put that control box in the first Knob position because it's easier to change to it that way when you change zones ON the pager itself. If anyone has an easier way to add ALL 16 frequencies or more to ONE knob position? I haven't heard it yet.
Attached Images

Last edited by Johnnydollar2; 06-03-2017 at 3:47 PM.. Reason: edits
Old 06-03-2017, 3:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear...

I have 5 conventional UHF (452... MHz) frequencies I want to scan. How can I have the G5 scan those, they are simple analog frequencies.

I do appreciate the responses
Old 06-03-2017, 3:54 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Other things I have found. YOU should avoid "Priority" settings in a knob position with a LOT of talkgroups. It will drive you crazy. Better off making separate knobs for different things instead of lumping everything into one giant BUSY knob. The processor in these things is slower when you add more and more stuff to it. Instead of having 2000 talkgroups or stuff LOADED on board? I make a separate code plug profile per COUNTY that I know I'm going to travel to. I simply program that in before I leave. The radio is much faster being less loaded. When trying to change ZONES manually in the field? good luck. I still don't know how I get it to move. I get it to move but the screen is slow. You have to wait for it after each change then select or save it. Overall? this thing is great. It's everything that they said it would be and more. Even though I prefer the quality of the digital sound of the Whistler WS1080 more? ... I use this most the day. Every scanner should be like this pager.
Old 06-03-2017, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear...

I have 5 conventional UHF (452... MHz) frequencies I want to scan. How can I have the G5 scan those, they are simple analog frequencies.

I do appreciate the responses
1. Add each frequency to your profile in PPS #2
2. Configure each of those frequencies in a switch position in PPS #5 (Monitor Mode/CSQ)
3. In a separate switch position in PPS #5, select Receiver Mode "Normal Scan" and add the channels configured in step 2.
Old 06-03-2017, 4:15 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Thanks for being concise troymail. ;0)
I use ONE Square to control 22 CSQ (vhf frequencies) and scan those from knob position ONE in Zone #3 ConvZone. It has pretty good reception with that internal antenna. I get a strong signal from a country away.
Old 06-03-2017, 4:51 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thanks, Troymail! That did it!

I have one P25 system I can enter into my G5 under a G4 codeplug, but when I enter the same P25 system under the G5 codeplug, it goes into and stays in "out of range". (I have a few other systems that work just fine) It is the Macon/Bibb co P25 system (Phase 1) (until late October, when it goes to Phase 2)

Anway, any ideas?
Old 06-04-2017, 2:44 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Default G5 UHF scan?

A lot of the time when it's out of range we need to check the Trunk System ID and SITE numbers. Same for Protocol on TAB 3 where you have add P25 protocol in order to hear things. Of course it COULD actually be out of range. You could always check to see in the maps on Radio Ref for your SITE range to see if you're inside the big coverage ring of that site.

Last edited by Johnnydollar2; 06-04-2017 at 2:46 AM.. Reason: edits
Sponsored links
Old 06-04-2017, 2:45 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Default G5 UHF scan?

I was in such a hurry to listen I forgot to add the correct SITE numbers listed on RRef on my first attempt.

Last edited by Johnnydollar2; 06-04-2017 at 2:46 AM.. Reason: edits
Old 06-04-2017, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
Thanks, Troymail! That did it!

I have one P25 system I can enter into my G5 under a G4 codeplug, but when I enter the same P25 system under the G5 codeplug, it goes into and stays in "out of range". (I have a few other systems that work just fine) It is the Macon/Bibb co P25 system (Phase 1) (until late October, when it goes to Phase 2)

Anway, any ideas?
JohnnyDollar2 hit the probable reasons for out of range.

Note: the data in RRDB can't be considered 100% accurate. It could have been at one time but changed and no one submitted updates.

Are you close enough to receive it?
Did you add the proper WACN, SYSID, RFSS, and site values? Note: if you're not sure of these values, you can use the wildcard settings.
Did you enter those values properly (i.e. HEXIDECIMAL values vs. DECIMAL)?
Have you verified that the control channel frequency is active?
Have you entered all of the control channel frequencies (or at least the active one)?

All of these - to include some other less likely issues - can result in out of range messages.