• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G4 - Accessing the Menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
What's the best way to access the main menu when voice calls are coming in, due to the calls taking priority on the display? I've been switching to a quiet knob position which works fine, but I'm just wondering if there's another method.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I have to do that on mine OR hit the back key. The one with the arrow circling back on its self. But if the people are having short conversations this sometimes has to be repeated.

So your on the right track. Switching channels.

eorange

Yep, same experience with the back arrow too. Not a problem.

I really am enjoying this thing - 100% LSM and distortion free. The P25 decode is nothing short of amazing.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I own 2.. But my dad will be getting the other one as a fathers day gift. I got him hooked on listening to the local FD and they are migrating from their 800 analog system to a new 700 P25 Phase 2 system.
Luckily they are still on analog so by the time Unication releases Phase 2 the local agency might be on the new system.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
G4/G5 Accessing the Menu

I just set the #2 knob to be far less busy and switch to that, then change Zones on the main screen

Last edited by a moderator:

mharris

Premium Subscriber
It makes me sad that we still have to do this. It's very basic functionality to be able to access the menu, regardless if a transmission is coming through or not.

troymail

Silent Key
Lately, I've been encountering severe trouble trying to get the radio to "leave" a fairly active system. Today, there seemed to be nothing I could do to get my G4 to switch off of the Philly Pa system even though I was a couple of counties west of Philly. I don't think it was receiving anything - in fact, it didn't record any voice calls for nearly two hours during my trip (recordings jumped from Philly PA directly to Carroll County MD - well over 100 miles of nothing).

I tried everything short of removing the battery (I was driving) -- mashing on the buttons, removing the antenna for several minutes, powering off and back on, removing external power, combinations of all of these... no matter what I did, the radio just kept showing supposed activity for talkgroups in Philly PA (with no voice). It was almost as if the screen updates had buffered in the radio and were catching up for the next several hours even though I changed off that systems entirely (or at least tried to).

Then, for a while, the middle of the screen (zone, system, talkgroup site info, etc.) remained completely blank. The top and bottom lines showed the time and other normal things but the main part of the display remained totally blank/black. Later, I noticed occasionally the display would momentarily flash some zone/system information but it wasn't receiving anything.

Eventually, it started receiving voice calls for the area I was in but the main part of the display continued to be blank. Finally, perhaps and hour after that, it started acting close to normal again.

All-in-all a fairly disappointing day with the G4. Obviously, I've pushed the thing well over it's limits.... glad I avoided I-95 on the drive home -- the combination of the G4 acting the way it was coupled with the traffic on I-95 would have resulted in someone getting hurt....

eorange

So you were able to access the menu, switch Zones away from the Philly system, but the G4 ignored this and continued to lock onto the Philly system?

troymail

Silent Key
So you were able to access the menu, switch Zones away from the Philly system, but the G4 ignored this and continued to lock onto the Philly system?

Nope - no button pushes worked at all -- the radio was off in a world of it's own and had no interest in anything I wanted to make it do... I don't believe it was really locked onto Philly either -- no possible way from my location after removing the antenna and power cycling it - it just showed info about Philly talkgroup reception for an extended period of time like it was just a bunch of buffered screen updates.

Again, I will admit that my programming was pretty heavy and "non-standard" - 1824 (talk)groups in the profile, 11 trunked "systems" defined, 2 zones - the only one of which I used that has with 8 knob positions defined for trunked systems that contain between 27 and 64 talkgroups each.

The system allows you to do some heavily loaded programming but the radio just cannot handle all you can throw at it.... I'd really prefer it to stop me from overloading the programming rather than taking it and then performing poorly.

eorange

Ah, I see. I've had my G4 for not even a week so I am pretty light on my total number of TGs...less than 70 so far.

The zone you were using doesn't seem that outrageous...wonder if it has something to do with the total # you have programmed, regardless of what you were listening to.

troymail

Silent Key
I've been trying to determine what part of the programming is really causing the issues since I got the radio in March... still haven't pinpointed anything. I've considered the number of systems, number of total talkgroups, number of talkgroups assigned to a given knob position, recording being enabled, how busy any given system is - combination of all... just really can't say...

It's just not designed to do what I am trying to make it do - but having said that, I really don't undersatnd why the PPS lets me overload the radio.

Steve2003

I have the same issues as well, I'm thinking of re-doing my programming so that ch-8 is set to something that rarely gets used so I can switch to it when wanting to switch zones/access the menu. Hopefully there is a fix for this with the phase-2 update.

troymail

Silent Key
I have the same issues as well, I'm thinking of re-doing my programming so that ch-8 is set to something that rarely gets used so I can switch to it when wanting to switch zones/access the menu. Hopefully there is a fix for this with the phase-2 update.

Thought that would help me also but it didn't... it was as if the radio (specifically display) was way, way behind on updates and nothing I did solved it. I wanted the radio to essentially "dump" anything it had queued/pending and start fresh (i.e. power cycle) but that doesn't seem to work like you'd expect.

I'm somewhat curious what it would have done on a battery pull. I'll be taking a screwdriver with me from now on and the next time it happens, I'll try that.

ma8007

Premium Subscriber
It would be nice to know what Unication is working on . Haven't heard much from them lately .
Emailed David from Unication support and was told software update should happen within the next 60 days(I know you've heard it before)Also stated talkgroup hold is on the list to be added ..Let all cross our fingers

Status
Not open for further replies.