• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G4/5 Phase II delayed till early 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
This was posted on Unication's Facebook Page -

"Unication USA Hey, Jeff!
Beta testing begins in Q4 of 2017 and we are hoping for a release in early 2018".

What a bummer .

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Cmon Unication. At least put out a firmware update for some of the other things in the interim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Sounds like Unication took a page out of the Uniden playbook in promising features that they ultimately can't deliver on for a year or more after being promised. Clearly they keep moving the goalposts on this Phase II TDMA functionality, as evidenced by posts going back to last summer claiming that "Phase II should be out by the end of the year if not early 1st quarter of next year."

Posts by Unication_David from the summer of 2016 referencing Phase II TDMA:
https://forums.radioreference.com/u...-somewhat-limited-scanner-12.html#post2600654
https://forums.radioreference.com/u...-somewhat-limited-scanner-13.html#post2615720

For those unaware, Unication USA entered into a partnership with the State of Michigan, whereby every feature and fix must first be tested on the Michigan Public Safety Communications System (MPSCS) before ever seeing the light of day for the rest of the general public. Whether or not that means that Michigan has an undue amount of influence over which features may or may not ever make it into the units, who knows.

Posts by Unication_David confirming that MPSCS has to approve new firmware:
https://forums.radioreference.com/u...-somewhat-limited-scanner-14.html#post2616590
https://forums.radioreference.com/u...-somewhat-limited-scanner-14.html#post2617810

carbineone

Premium Subscriber
The State of Michigan can go ahead and wait for their certified tested upgrade.I don't think the Michigan dictates who they can release versions too, I will gladly try a beta version of phase II.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
For those unaware, Unication USA entered into a partnership with the State of Michigan, whereby every feature and fix must first be tested on the Michigan Public Safety Communications System (MPSCS) before ever seeing the light of day for the rest of the general public. Whether or not that means that Michigan has an undue amount of influence over which features may or may not ever make it into the units, who knows.

Are you sure? I would read it as MPSCS has to approve it before it is used on their system. That's fairly typical in big radio deployments...the system operator has to approve new firmware before it can be used. The G4/5 is a little different in that it's RX only, but if it's being used in an operational setting the concept would hold true.

I'd be shocked if that actually meant that Unication can't release firmware to their OTHER customers without MPSCS approval. I can't think of any other agreement like that!

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
They could take one page from WhistlerGroup scanner firmware.
Make the Unication firmware time-bomb expire at the end of the year. Making everyone update after December 31st to keep using the G4/G5 with the latest firmware version ;)

Maybe it's already in the firmware for G4/G5 ;)

bodene

Premium Subscriber
hoping?

This was posted on Unication's Facebook Page -

"Unication USA Hey, Jeff!
Beta testing begins in Q4 of 2017 and we are hoping for a release in early 2018".

What a bummer .

Exactly, hoping for almost 2 years. This game of hope is fading by the hour. At this rate, it'll be early summer 2018 next.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Are you sure? I would read it as MPSCS has to approve it before it is used on their system. That's fairly typical in big radio deployments...the system operator has to approve new firmware before it can be used. The G4/5 is a little different in that it's RX only, but if it's being used in an operational setting the concept would hold true.

I'd be shocked if that actually meant that Unication can't release firmware to their OTHER customers without MPSCS approval. I can't think of any other agreement like that!

Read David's posts again in context with the rest of the posts in that thread. His words, not mine, that "MPSCS has to approve it". Sounds pretty cut and dry to me.

If Unication USA entered into a contractual partnership with Michigan, it wouldn't surprise me if part of that agreement was that they get to test all new firmware against the MPSCS before it goes anywhere else.

I believe that Unication USA saw an opportunity to partner with a state government that had a very large statewide P25 system, to get their G4/G5 pagers as officially approved and recommended devices on that system, and to know that they potentially had a huge built-in customer base by doing so. If part of the cost of that potentially lucrative partnership was to agree to give the powers-that-be in Michigan the final approval on new firmware, I'm sure they felt it was a small price to pay and that it would ultimately benefit everyone else in the end anyway.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
G4/G5 phase II delay again*

As Ralphie said in Jean Shepard's "Christmas Story" after losing the lug nuts for the tire...
OOOOOOOHHHHHH FUUUUUUUDDDDDGGGGE!

JMR3865

Premium Subscriber
Other than phase 32, what else is in this release?

Would like my reset button to work when the pager is locked... Still having issues with the pager alerting...

I think it may be an antenna issue.

KA4MLK

Premium Subscriber
Meh

Read David's posts again in context with the rest of the posts in that thread. His words, not mine, that "MPSCS has to approve it". Sounds pretty cut and dry to me.

If Unication USA entered into a contractual partnership with Michigan, it wouldn't surprise me if part of that agreement was that they get to test all new firmware against the MPSCS before it goes anywhere else.

I believe that Unication USA saw an opportunity to partner with a state government that had a very large statewide P25 system, to get their G4/G5 pagers as officially approved and recommended devices on that system, and to know that they potentially had a huge built-in customer base by doing so. If part of the cost of that potentially lucrative partnership was to agree to give the powers-that-be in Michigan the final approval on new firmware, I'm sure they felt it was a small price to pay and that it would ultimately benefit everyone else in the end anyway.

While I don't need Phase II at this moment, I'm sure I will at some point in the future. The G4 works PERFECTLY on my Phase I system, and I am located at one of the worst overlap spots in the county. Also, I am willing to wait until the upgrade is released regardless of whether I need it or not. Unication is making a PROFESSIONAL product, not a consumer-based one. If you want fast upgrades (including vaporware), live near a tower, and/or are willing to move to a better location, or don't have the knowledge to program a COMMERCIAL 2-way product, then please use a Uniden or Whistler consumer product. The only other option is OP-25 if you live in RF hell. And good luck with that.

wacker13

Well that sucks I have 2 G5's bought them cause soon to be released around this time. Now I have to wait even longer. Feel lied too it's BS.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
While I don't need Phase II at this moment, I'm sure I will at some point in the future. The G4 works PERFECTLY on my Phase I system, and I am located at one of the worst overlap spots in the county. Also, I am willing to wait until the upgrade is released regardless of whether I need it or not. Unication is making a PROFESSIONAL product, not a consumer-based one. If you want fast upgrades (including vaporware), live near a tower, and/or are willing to move to a better location, or don't have the knowledge to program a COMMERCIAL 2-way product, then please use a Uniden or Whistler consumer product. The only other option is OP-25 if you live in RF hell. And good luck with that.

Missing the main point.
The representative for Unication has told us and its been documented on here that the phase 2 update would be out by date x, then it was bumped to date x, then later and later.
I dont mind waiting for a product to be done properly but dont give me dates then extend it months at a time. Heck each set back isnt even months, its quarters.
I do like the product but am very disappointed in this, and man the comparison to Uniden is spot on.

Please dont take what i said to be an attack on UnicationDavid as he is a company man and im sure the dates he was given were passed on to us and its not actually his fault. Im just glad he is keeping us in the loop as well as providing us with the occasional help.

Ill finish this by saying im just disappointed and let down by them. This for sure prevents me from buying a product from them with out the features i need already in it.

radio3353

Reminds me of the airline pilot: "Folks, we will be pushing back from the gate in 15 minutes." 15 minutes later: "Folks, we will be pushing back from the gate in 15 minutes." 15 minutes later: "Folks..." You get the idea. Unication's credibility is taking a serious hit.

kinglou0

Came out of lurking to say that at this point I don't believe any timetable or estimate that David or any other rep from Unication says.

Having Phase II is critical to me since the major systems in my area are or will be Phase II systems. I've never had issues with receiving the various agencies still on VHF out here even the somewhat wonky Phase I implementation that the WSP uses.

I guess Unication never really wanted to be in the consumer market and are happy to target agencies looking for something snazzier than a Minitor. It's a shame that Motorola doesn't make a similar product especially in 700/800mhz.

At this point, I'm certain that Uniden & Whistler have taken notice of the swelling interest in Unication's products and are busy working on their own versions of the G4/G5. Might be a while until we see them but I'm certain we'll catch a glimpse of them before Unication releases a 100% working PII firmware.

Status
Not open for further replies.