RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Unication Forum

Unication Forum - Forum for discussion of Unication products.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2017, 6:14 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thumbs down G4/5 Phase II delayed till early 2018

This was posted on Unication's Facebook Page -

"Unication USA Hey, Jeff!
Beta testing begins in Q4 of 2017 and we are hoping for a release in early 2018".

What a bummer .
Sponsored links
Old 08-04-2017, 8:01 PM

There are no words...
Old 08-04-2017, 8:38 PM

Cmon Unication. At least put out a firmware update for some of the other things in the interim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2017, 9:04 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Wow worse than Uniden.
Old 08-04-2017, 9:27 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Sounds like Unication took a page out of the Uniden playbook in promising features that they ultimately can't deliver on for a year or more after being promised. Clearly they keep moving the goalposts on this Phase II TDMA functionality, as evidenced by posts going back to last summer claiming that "Phase II should be out by the end of the year if not early 1st quarter of next year."

Posts by Unication_David from the summer of 2016 referencing Phase II TDMA:
https://forums.radioreference.com/un...ml#post2600654
https://forums.radioreference.com/un...ml#post2615720

For those unaware, Unication USA entered into a partnership with the State of Michigan, whereby every feature and fix must first be tested on the Michigan Public Safety Communications System (MPSCS) before ever seeing the light of day for the rest of the general public. Whether or not that means that Michigan has an undue amount of influence over which features may or may not ever make it into the units, who knows.

Posts by Unication_David confirming that MPSCS has to approve new firmware:
https://forums.radioreference.com/un...ml#post2616590
https://forums.radioreference.com/un...ml#post2617810
Sponsored links
Old 08-04-2017, 10:39 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

The State of Michigan can go ahead and wait for their certified tested upgrade.I don't think the Michigan dictates who they can release versions too, I will gladly try a beta version of phase II.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:01 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR8000 View Post
For those unaware, Unication USA entered into a partnership with the State of Michigan, whereby every feature and fix must first be tested on the Michigan Public Safety Communications System (MPSCS) before ever seeing the light of day for the rest of the general public. Whether or not that means that Michigan has an undue amount of influence over which features may or may not ever make it into the units, who knows.
Are you sure? I would read it as MPSCS has to approve it before it is used on their system. That's fairly typical in big radio deployments...the system operator has to approve new firmware before it can be used. The G4/5 is a little different in that it's RX only, but if it's being used in an operational setting the concept would hold true.

I'd be shocked if that actually meant that Unication can't release firmware to their OTHER customers without MPSCS approval. I can't think of any other agreement like that!
Old 08-04-2017, 11:22 PM
Database Admin

Arrow

They could take one page from WhistlerGroup scanner firmware.
Make the Unication firmware time-bomb expire at the end of the year. Making everyone update after December 31st to keep using the G4/G5 with the latest firmware version

Maybe it's already in the firmware for G4/G5
Old 08-05-2017, 12:17 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default hoping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumegpc View Post
This was posted on Unication's Facebook Page -

"Unication USA Hey, Jeff!
Beta testing begins in Q4 of 2017 and we are hoping for a release in early 2018".

What a bummer .
Exactly, hoping for almost 2 years. This game of hope is fading by the hour. At this rate, it'll be early summer 2018 next.
Old 08-05-2017, 1:12 AM
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderknight View Post
Are you sure? I would read it as MPSCS has to approve it before it is used on their system. That's fairly typical in big radio deployments...the system operator has to approve new firmware before it can be used. The G4/5 is a little different in that it's RX only, but if it's being used in an operational setting the concept would hold true.

I'd be shocked if that actually meant that Unication can't release firmware to their OTHER customers without MPSCS approval. I can't think of any other agreement like that!
Read David's posts again in context with the rest of the posts in that thread. His words, not mine, that "MPSCS has to approve it". Sounds pretty cut and dry to me.

If Unication USA entered into a contractual partnership with Michigan, it wouldn't surprise me if part of that agreement was that they get to test all new firmware against the MPSCS before it goes anywhere else.

I believe that Unication USA saw an opportunity to partner with a state government that had a very large statewide P25 system, to get their G4/G5 pagers as officially approved and recommended devices on that system, and to know that they potentially had a huge built-in customer base by doing so. If part of the cost of that potentially lucrative partnership was to agree to give the powers-that-be in Michigan the final approval on new firmware, I'm sure they felt it was a small price to pay and that it would ultimately benefit everyone else in the end anyway.
Old 08-05-2017, 1:34 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Default G4/G5 phase II delay again*

As Ralphie said in Jean Shepard's "Christmas Story" after losing the lug nuts for the tire...
OOOOOOOHHHHHH FUUUUUUUDDDDDGGGGE!
Old 08-05-2017, 7:38 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Other than phase 32, what else is in this release?

Would like my reset button to work when the pager is locked... Still having issues with the pager alerting...

I think it may be an antenna issue.
Old 08-05-2017, 3:49 PM

Soooo glad I didn't go and buy this based on a promise...
Old 08-05-2017, 4:38 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR8000 View Post
Read David's posts again in context with the rest of the posts in that thread. His words, not mine, that "MPSCS has to approve it". Sounds pretty cut and dry to me.

If Unication USA entered into a contractual partnership with Michigan, it wouldn't surprise me if part of that agreement was that they get to test all new firmware against the MPSCS before it goes anywhere else.

I believe that Unication USA saw an opportunity to partner with a state government that had a very large statewide P25 system, to get their G4/G5 pagers as officially approved and recommended devices on that system, and to know that they potentially had a huge built-in customer base by doing so. If part of the cost of that potentially lucrative partnership was to agree to give the powers-that-be in Michigan the final approval on new firmware, I'm sure they felt it was a small price to pay and that it would ultimately benefit everyone else in the end anyway.
While I don't need Phase II at this moment, I'm sure I will at some point in the future. The G4 works PERFECTLY on my Phase I system, and I am located at one of the worst overlap spots in the county. Also, I am willing to wait until the upgrade is released regardless of whether I need it or not. Unication is making a PROFESSIONAL product, not a consumer-based one. If you want fast upgrades (including vaporware), live near a tower, and/or are willing to move to a better location, or don't have the knowledge to program a COMMERCIAL 2-way product, then please use a Uniden or Whistler consumer product. The only other option is OP-25 if you live in RF hell. And good luck with that.
Old 08-05-2017, 4:51 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Well that sucks I have 2 G5's bought them cause soon to be released around this time. Now I have to wait even longer. Feel lied too it's BS.
Old 08-05-2017, 5:12 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA4MLK View Post
While I don't need Phase II at this moment, I'm sure I will at some point in the future. The G4 works PERFECTLY on my Phase I system, and I am located at one of the worst overlap spots in the county. Also, I am willing to wait until the upgrade is released regardless of whether I need it or not. Unication is making a PROFESSIONAL product, not a consumer-based one. If you want fast upgrades (including vaporware), live near a tower, and/or are willing to move to a better location, or don't have the knowledge to program a COMMERCIAL 2-way product, then please use a Uniden or Whistler consumer product. The only other option is OP-25 if you live in RF hell. And good luck with that.
Missing the main point.
The representative for Unication has told us and its been documented on here that the phase 2 update would be out by date x, then it was bumped to date x, then later and later.
I dont mind waiting for a product to be done properly but dont give me dates then extend it months at a time. Heck each set back isnt even months, its quarters.
I do like the product but am very disappointed in this, and man the comparison to Uniden is spot on.

Please dont take what i said to be an attack on UnicationDavid as he is a company man and im sure the dates he was given were passed on to us and its not actually his fault. Im just glad he is keeping us in the loop as well as providing us with the occasional help.

Ill finish this by saying im just disappointed and let down by them. This for sure prevents me from buying a product from them with out the features i need already in it.
Old 08-05-2017, 7:02 PM

Reminds me of the airline pilot: "Folks, we will be pushing back from the gate in 15 minutes." 15 minutes later: "Folks, we will be pushing back from the gate in 15 minutes." 15 minutes later: "Folks..." You get the idea. Unication's credibility is taking a serious hit.
Old 08-06-2017, 5:15 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Came out of lurking to say that at this point I don't believe any timetable or estimate that David or any other rep from Unication says.

Having Phase II is critical to me since the major systems in my area are or will be Phase II systems. I've never had issues with receiving the various agencies still on VHF out here even the somewhat wonky Phase I implementation that the WSP uses.

I guess Unication never really wanted to be in the consumer market and are happy to target agencies looking for something snazzier than a Minitor. It's a shame that Motorola doesn't make a similar product especially in 700/800mhz.

At this point, I'm certain that Uniden & Whistler have taken notice of the swelling interest in Unication's products and are busy working on their own versions of the G4/G5. Might be a while until we see them but I'm certain we'll catch a glimpse of them before Unication releases a 100% working PII firmware.
Old 08-06-2017, 5:18 PM
Moderator---not censor
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

You can add QCII on P25 to the list also...

https://forums.radioreference.com/un...ml#post2761425
Old 08-06-2017, 5:22 PM
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
You can add QCII on P25 to the list also...

https://forums.radioreference.com/un...ml#post2761425
Yeah, and let's see if they get QCII right. I wasn't entirely convinced that they understand how QCII over P25 works with the DVSI vocoder based on his replies in that thread.