• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G5 broadcasting talkgroups not assigned to the Knob Position...

Status
Not open for further replies.

yfdgricker

Feed Provider
Has anyone else experienced non programmed talkgroups broadcasting even though the knob channel doesn't have the specific talk groups programmed into that spot?

I was monitoring our fire department and only had their three talk groups programmed into the knob channel. I kept getting talkgroups 5500 and 4 (both local PD, the first being encrypted) on the radio. I switched knob channels and monitored a different set of talkgroups and those two talkgroups still continued to come over. 5500 and 4 are valid used talkgroups on the P25 system I was monitoring but they were not programmed in that channel. I double checked to make sure monitoring was not active. Anyone else experience this on their G5? I looked over my programming to make sure those two talkgroups didn't get added accidentally. I also pushed out the programming to the radio again just to be sure and it continued to stop on those talkgroups as well as the ones that were programmed.

Thanks!

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Sounds like you have Monitor Mode enabled on those knob positions, which will play traffic on any talkgroup that is heard.

yfdgricker

Feed Provider
I double checked to make sure monitoring was not active.

Yep, I thought that at first also. I use monitor mode quite a bit so it wouldn't have surprised me if I had left it in that mode. I checked and monitor mode was off. It was also only those two talkgroups that the radio broadcasted and no other talkgroups on the system which I'm sure had traffic on as well.

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
Besides having monitor enabled on the software, check the settings on the radio itself. It can also be achieved via the settings using the buttons on the radio.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

eorange

Correct, that's how I turn it on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

yfdgricker

Feed Provider
I'm not sure, the radio is behaving again. It was just during the special event that day. I'm thinking the radio system was a little weird. It hasn't done that since.

cpetraglia

Since you were having a special event, there may have been some patches you usually don't see. It depends on what is patched to what whether or not the Gx will pick it up.

Steve2003

I wondered that as well but thought I recall reading that the Unication didn't handle patches.

The unication definitely handles P25 patching (one of the resons why I got my G4). I do notice that talkgroups will bleed over for a few seconds when switching channels (often XXX shows on the screen)

eorange

Thanks for pointing out what XXX means. I've seen that before and didn't know what that meant.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

troymail

Silent Key
The unication definitely handles P25 patching (one of the resons why I got my G4).

Hmmmm.... I'll have to look and find that conversation about patches not working. It could have been an old comment that was addressed in a later firmware update...

It would be helpful to hear David chime in on this topic as well.

I do notice that talkgroups will bleed over for a few seconds when switching channels (often XXX shows on the screen)

^ This is something I see all of the time when changing knob positions...

David_Oney

Former Unication Tech Support
Premium Subscriber
This was occurring in Michigan and it was determined that the dispatchers were not properly releasing the previous TGID they were transmitting on and it was creating a Multi select group. I am not saying this is the exact cause of your issue but we can always try to figure out what the system is doing. Please contact me via email an i will send you the diagnostic tool and we can pull a DSP log for review. The unit stores the last 2 minutes of activity so we will have to replicate it and then pull the log.

tdeater

I have run into issues with monitor mode not always wanting to turn off. It shows it is off, but I still receive unknown TG's. From what I recall, a power cycle usually fixed it. I have not been able to replicate the issue often enough yet though to pinpoint it. I don't think they were patched TG's, but again it has been a while since I have looked into it myself.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
My theory is that the processor is very slow, and takes a LONG time to catch up. When you switch zones or channel positions, the display takes a long time to display the information from the zone that you switched to, and continues to tune in to the previous system. Similarly, sometimes, when I turn off the radio, it continues talking for quite a while, before it actually shuts off. I think they need to add some multi-threading to their firmware programming ors something, so that some things can be interrupted, and the receiver and display can quit working on a system you left, and concentrate on the system you went to.

yfdgricker

Feed Provider
Thanks David but I'm not able to replicate this problem. It is definitely an issue with the P25 system itself. The G5 only has issues when they are trying to configure the radio system (adding/removing talkgroups)

ResQguy

Meh
Thanks David but I'm not able to replicate this problem. It is definitely an issue with the P25 system itself. The G5 only has issues when they are trying to configure the radio system (adding/removing talkgroups)

I've been able to successfully pull a log when this is happening tonight and sent them in.

yfdgricker

Feed Provider
David, I sent a message via the contact form on the Unication website. I'm getting this issue again today so if you want to send me the diagnostic software, I'll see if I can get a log capture for you.

David_Oney

Former Unication Tech Support
Premium Subscriber
David, I sent a message via the contact form on the Unication website. I'm getting this issue again today so if you want to send me the diagnostic software, I'll see if I can get a log capture for you.

The Diagnostic tool was included in the New PPS link its in the tools folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.