• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G4 hissing Noise when keyed up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question...

On the G4, I am getting a hissing noise whenever someone keys up. It's getting very annoying. This is definitely not normal as my Harris nor any of my scanners and radio do this.

Is this a speaker issue or software issue?

Will the warranty cover this hiss?

I just connected it via Bluetooth and listened to the recordings and the recordings sound normal...

It's safe to say it's the speaker on the G4 that is the culprit...

Any one have any tips on how to fix this?

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Both G5's I had have the slight hissing noise on P25 trunked systems. Very noticeable at lower volumes. I'm attributing it to their subpar speaker, especially if you are saying the recordings via Bluetooth are good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You said "had"!!! Did you do a warranty exchange?

I'm using it now and have it to zero volume and the hiss is still there...

What was your solution?

the hissing is normal
both my G4 and G5 do it
So Unication or Rays won't warranty it as they are using some cheap a$$ speaker... There's no way in hell that's normal especially when listening to a recording via Bluetooth, it sounds like it should. Crystal clear..

Obviously, they are using some cheap stuff... Has anyone been able to find out what speaker fits in there?

ecarvalho

Not sure... these pagers were designed to last on the field and take a beating of a professional. I have seen lots of people mention the hiss so i seriously doubt this is defect but the result of the way this internal active amp works. Email David from Unication see if he can help. I personally don't care about the hissing... but I can see how it can be bothersome in a quiet ambient. Don't get me wrong, just thought id say it appears to be normal.

I usually have my volume set very low... 10 to 25....that hiss really makes it rough on the ears. Then when I set it to zero volume, it's definitely noticeable..

I talked to another member here and he also said he had the same problem I'm having. We'll see what happens.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Yes the hissing is normal...several posts back somewhere in one of the threads. I too find it ridiculous and maybe they will bring a firmware fix to clean it up. It is noticeable on low volume, and annoying. I also mentioned a way back that even at full volume in a vehicle the speaker needs to be louder. However, I don't think the current speaker could handle the audio clean at higher volumes without distortion. Does anyone NOT have that slight hiss on P25 trunked systems ?

I sent in my G5 due to an antenna issue. Ray's Pagers sent me a brand new one and Ray made it simple. Solid guy.

The door issue that people are referring to was never really discussed in the forums by Unication. But users were getting muffled audio due to the battery door presses against the internals. Unication sent out new doors with less felt on the interior and shorter screws which basically fixed the issue. That's why you'll hear people mention to loosen the screws a bit.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I guess I'll have to suck it up for now.... Hopefully, they'll find a new speaker to use and put them in these model.

Although, I do think that Unication should grandfather us on the warranty. From 2 years to 5 years, automatically. Especially, with known issues around.

cpetraglia

The hiss is coming from the audio amp. A speaker cant make a hissing noise on it's own. I can't see a fix coming for this. Just have to get use to it, I have.

ecarvalho

Its by design as far as I know. The amp only activates when carrier is detected, hence saving battery power. I don't think that the hissing is all that terrible.
I think you guys can confirm with Unication if this is normal with these units or not before getting frustrated with warranty and replacements that will also hiss.
Again, these are not home consumer pagers and out in the field, professional users don't care about or don't hear it due to the general ambient noise.
When I use my G5 I usually have the volume on 60-70 because it is loud outside. I don't hear the hissing unless I take the unit home and listen to it like if I was an audiophile guy.
Again... I don't think that this is a defect, but a design that doesn't please some users.
Email David and see what his input on the hissing is.

ZapBugs

The hiss is very annoying. Listening in monitor mode at home sucks. Add to that, the lack of p25 paging makes the unit unusable for my needs because the analog dispatch signal is not receivable in my location.

I will never buy another <<anything>> based upon promises from the manufacturer. I should have returned it long ago.

Definition of <<anything>> is.... Expensive electronics that become used as paperweights
Can you hear me hissing?

brucebuck1010

Premium Subscriber
I have the hiss, as well. It seems to be the same volume, no matter where the volume knob is set. For me, I can tolerate it. IMHO, there are at least a half a dozen other things that I would like to see "fixed" before this one. That said, this radio (a G4 in my case) is fine as-is - the P25 reception (compared to two others I have used) is near perfect. I am grateful that I am now able to follow conversations (and that my area does very little encryption!)

David_Oney

Former Unication Tech Support
Premium Subscriber
Yes the hissing is normal...several posts back somewhere in one of the threads. I too find it ridiculous and maybe they will bring a firmware fix to clean it up. It is noticeable on low volume, and annoying. I also mentioned a way back that even at full volume in a vehicle the speaker needs to be louder. However, I don't think the current speaker could handle the audio clean at higher volumes without distortion. Does anyone NOT have that slight hiss on P25 trunked systems ?

I sent in my G5 due to an antenna issue. Ray's Pagers sent me a brand new one and Ray made it simple. Solid guy.

The door issue that people are referring to was never really discussed in the forums by Unication. But users were getting muffled audio due to the battery door presses against the internals. Unication sent out new doors with less felt on the interior and shorter screws which basically fixed the issue. That's why you'll hear people mention to loosen the screws a bit.

The new battery door also provides a water proof pinhole for the release of internal air pressure. That was causing the muffled audio. The reason I couldn't replicate it is because my test unit wasn't an IP67 model it was an early alpha unit so it allowed the pressure to be released.

David_Oney

Former Unication Tech Support
Premium Subscriber
The hiss is very annoying. Listening in monitor mode at home sucks. Add to that, the lack of p25 paging makes the unit unusable for my needs because the analog dispatch signal is not receivable in my location.

I will never buy another <<anything>> based upon promises from the manufacturer. I should have returned it long ago.

Definition of <<anything>> is.... Expensive electronics that become used as paperweights
Can you hear me hissing?

P25 2 tone paging is coming in the next release we hit a few snags that i am having the team rework but it should release soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.