• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G5 Amplified Charger Not Showing Charge Complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimco

This is a new issue for me since I flashed to the new firmware and then went back to the MSPCS approved firmware. When I place the G5 in the amplified charger, the red charge light never switches to green. I did remove the battery and put it back in and it did go to green after about 20 minutes, but since that time, it can sit on the charger all night and all day and still remain red.

Anyone else have this issue?

Jim

Jimco

I just took the battery out again and left it out for a minute. Then I put it back in and put the G5 on the charger. It shows the last segment in the battery icon flashing and says charging. I suspect that in about 15-20 minutes, it will show that it's fully charged. We'll see.

Jim

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
I've had it do that before. It never shows it's finished. Then it does other times. I usually blow a little fan on it when it's charging now. I noticed how hot it gets while charging in warm weather. Most times it does show "green" My main complaint after this "upgrade" is the volume is low. I have to turn it up to 80 now just to hear things clearly. Used to only need 60-65. It's muffled and too low at times. This thing is in severe need of an AGC. Second thing I noticed after the new firmware is the 4 bar signal strength indicator goes OFF completely a lot. Old firmware? the bars were always ON. It's not my SITE tower as I've tested in on 3 different SITES and does it for those too. It goes OFF for 3-4 seconds ... then jumps back ON full* with the next new transmission coming through. Am I missing transmissions in that time? who knows? I only keep this new firmware due to how fast it responds and how much better the blue-tooth volume quality is but I still have to JACK that up to 80-95 too

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimco

Just for clarification, I'm NOT using the new firmware.

After one charge with it showing complete, it has now gone back to charging forever without ever showing that the charge is complete. I don't know if something's wrong or what's going on. :(

Jimco

I was charging it with the pager on. I just turned it off while it was in the charger and it displayed "charger error 0" and the red light on the charger blinked. I removed it, waited a bit, and now have reinserted it. It now shows it's charging with one bar yet to complete on the battery indicator.

David, can you possibly comment on this behavior?

Jimco

This happened to mine. When I looked at the battery, it badly bloated. A new battery solved the problem.

Thanks. My battery appears fine and I don't notice any heating when it's charging. This is a pretty new pager, maybe a couple of months old. Maybe I'll write to Ray and see if the battery is covered under warranty anyway, but I'd sure like to hear from David on this issue.

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
My amp will not charge the battery if the pager is inserted when off. I can turn the pager off after it has been recognized and charging has started and it will continue to charge.

Jimco

I charged the G5 once with the USB cable. After doing that, the amplified charger has fully charged it without issue three times now.

KM4WLV

I saw this post when it was originally posted but didn't reply because I didn't have an amplified charger. BUTTTTTT, Unication being the awesome company they are sent me an email two weeks ago letting me know I was their Tuesday Testimonial drawing winner, and my prize package included an Amplified Charger for my G5, a leather holster with swivel clip, and bluetooth ear piece!

Anyway, I've been using the new charger for over a week now and have charged both of my G5's numerous times and get the normal red charging light when I drop the pager in & then the green light when it's complete. I've not noticed any heat build up, any abnormal operation, and I'm running the latest firmware in both pagers. I'll still be watching this to see if the cause is determined.

With that said let me go knock on some wood so I don't jinx my equipment LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.