• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

nasa806

Premium Subscriber
I have to crank my volume up to 70 to be able to have good volume where I can hear with noise in the house. Is it my G5 or all they all like this? The same on Bluetooth. BTW I'm not deaf or hard of hearing. Just seems like the radio has low volume. Possibly the Radio system I'm monitoring?

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Unication Volume

Same here since this last new Firmware upgrade. It does seem lower to me. I went back to the old one and yes, it's louder. BUT.. I quickly went back to the NEW update because the BTooth is much clearer. I have to jack mine up to 75-85. SO to save the little speaker, here's some things (video below) I did for my car to hear it. Works really well as I didn't want to put my Amp/Charger for the G5 in the car. I'd rather have 4 stereo speakers going. The G4/G5s are in need of an AGC.

https://youtu.be/jPXnZzziPds

Last edited by a moderator:

yfdgricker

Feed Provider
I too have to usually have mine on 70 to cut through the noise of the car or house. Then when all is quiet, it's too loud and I have to drop it to 50-55 :)

GordieJ

Overly Loud Transmissions

I too have to set my G4 audio above 70%, or I must strain to hear it.

And then there's this audio phenomenon: I can be listening for hours and the volume remains consistent. Then, out of nowhere, a transmission is SO LOUD it startles me!! What's up with that?

NOTE: the "overly loud" is always from the same radio IDs.

troymail

Silent Key
There have been other discussions concerning the new addition of color background options for those who work on noisy areas. It was said that they can now use the colors to determine if some type of alert or voice call was broadcast to decide to stop and play it back.

Pure speculation on my part but given the addition of color background settings in the latest firmware, I wonder if the volume has been reduced for various reasons (some folks have complained about battery life, etc.) now that those who needed it to be loud no longer need that.... it's a stretch.... I'm always over thinking things....

On the other hand - some had raised the question - doesn't lighting up the background from other than black drain the battery faster?

Ok, I've over thought this one enough.

:lol:

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
From my experience work on phones.
With an LCD the back light is constantly on and illuminating the color the LCD is showing. SO if its black the pixels are not allowing the light to pass. The only extra battery consumption would be the processor changing the pixels from black to red or what color you choose.

What will affect battery life more is dimming the overall brightness. This will reduce the primary consumption of power, as well as reducing the amount of time the back light is on.

Now if it was an OLED display then each pixel has its own back light illumination and thus having a primary all black background would save power.

Status
Not open for further replies.