• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Laird 800 MHz Stubby Antenna on G5

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM4WLV

I'd recently been using a Motorola 800 stubby antenna on one of my G5's but haven't really been a fan of how "obtrusive" it looked. I got great performance with the factory antenna but the Motorola antenna gave it just a little better edge.

I was browsing for another part when I came across the Laird EXS806SF 1/4 wave stubby. It wasn't a new antenna to me by any means, I just hadn't ever really paid to much attention before. I ordered one just because I wanted to see how well they'd work, & also thought it would look a little better. I've had it for a week and performance has been spot on, working just as well as both the factory and Motorola antennas I'd been using. And it is a lot more comfortable to wear. Thoughts?IMG_0056.jpgIMG_0060.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Laird 800mhz antenna G5

Looks good. The stubby antenna is perfect 99% of the time. But there are times where you need a little more. I found this out at a cookout at my sisters house. Had the G5 along and was only getting 2-3 bars on the P25 system in their county. They live way north of the tower. So I got a Motorola antenna and tried it on my next visit. Got 4 bars perfect. Only thing is the one I bought, the rubber bottom extended too far down to allow contact with the SMA antenna. Wrong size. I didn't do a good job trimming it back to fit. Looks like a dog gnarled it. But works perfect when needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

KM4WLV

Looks good. The stubby antenna is perfect 99% of the time. But there are times where you need a little more. I found this out at a cookout at my sisters house. Had the G5 along and was only getting 2-3 bars on the P25 system in their county. They live way north of the tower. So I got a Motorola antenna and tried it on my next visit. Got 4 bars perfect. Only thing is the one I bought, the rubber bottom extended too far down to allow contact with the SMA antenna. Wrong size. I didn't do a good job trimming it back to fit. Looks like a dog gnarled it. But works perfect when needed.

Same exact Motorola antenna I was using. I really haven't noticed any real difference in performance, I just prefer the Laird because I feel like it "blends in" a little better.

wmlovell

Premium Subscriber
Am I seeing this right?

The two G5s next to each other and the one with the Laird is receiving 3 bars where the other with the Unication stubby is not receiving on the same system?

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Laird G5 800mhz antenna

It could be that he took the photo when one of them was doing what mine does NOW after this latest firmware update. I lose my signal bars for no reason for 3-5 seconds at times. Then they jump back on with the next new transmission. The last firmware had the bars on all the time. This has been discussed a few times on RRef since the update by Unication.

troymail

Silent Key
I've tried several different antennas on my G4 - stock, Motorola, RS 800 with adapter....

The RS 800 is a huge improvement over the stock antenna and in my home area, required for reception of the NC VIPER system sites. Reception with the stock antenna inside my house is almost non-existent.

The Motorola was better than the stock antenna but not as good as the RS 800.

Having said that -- there are times when I don't want a better antenna -- primarily, when mobile. If you don't "force" program different zone/knobs with specific sites and talkgroups, the radio sometimes holds far too long on a site that I drove through/out of.... If you add the additional signal with a better antenna, it's even worse. I've driven out of the area for "site A" directly past "site B" and the radio is still holding on "site A"...

All depends on your application.

EDIT: I will admit that the stubby is much less obtrusive if wearing the pager on your belt, etc. but after the belt clip failed on me a while back, I don't do that any more.

Last edited:

KM4WLV

Am I seeing this right?

The two G5s next to each other and the one with the Laird is receiving 3 bars where the other with the Unication stubby is not receiving on the same system?

The G5 on the left is in Selective Call mode on the County Fire Dispatch talkgroup on the P25 side of our system. The G5 on the right is also in Selective Call mode however it is parked on our analog VHF County Fire Dispatch channel, hence the absence of the signal indicator.

I've had excellent results with QC2 on P25, however I always keep either the second G5, or my G1 parked on the VHF side just to ensure I don't miss a page. I'm beginning to trust the new QC2 on P25 feature, but not as much as the VHF side. Been using the VHF side for 24 years now, so I know it works LOL

KM4WLV

Another note about the two pagers above......... If you'll note the alpha tag on the left hand side. RFD DISP is how we label County Fire Dispatch here. The zone number above it says P1. The P is to indicate that it is a P25 zone. Same as our radios. The zone indicator on the pager on the right says V1 to indicate it is a VHF zone. Also note the alpha tag - RFD DISPc. The c stands for Calling. On the consoles at our comm center when they transmit on that channel they actually key the VHF transmitter, which is also patched to the P25 talkgroup. You can tell when monitoring the P25 side because the transmit ID shows P25T instead of the normal console ID. When the county originally moved to our SmartNet II system back in 94 that's how it was labeled on the radio screen and it's been that way since. I carry it over just because that's what I'm accustomed to.

Hope that adds some clarity to understanding the method to my madness LOL

KM4WLV

Daniel, if you've tested it, how well does it work on 700 mhz?

That I can't say. I haven't been close to any of the sites (VIPER & UASI in our neck of the woods) that are using 700 stuff. I'll be in Stanley County some next week and I'll be listening down there. I have a trip planned up to Caldwell County next week and will be close to the Butte Men site for VIPER which has 700 stuff. I'm honestly not expecting great performance that far down, and even more so in the mountains. I'm starting to see a bit of "finicky" behavior with it. Namely when in my vehicle and the pager on my belt it loses signal long enough to drop out of range. And from testing it 9 or 10 seconds for the out of range alarm to sound, and that's just long enough to miss a call if not monitoring the radio. To me that's unacceptable. I won't sacrifice performance for "style".

CFP387

So it's looking like I should stay with the Motorola stubby that you gave me since it's working better than the Laird then. I have tested it with 700 VIPER sites and it works great and doesn't lose signal.

KM4WLV

So it's looking like I should stay with the Motorola stubby that you gave me since it's working better than the Laird then. I have tested it with 700 VIPER sites and it works great and doesn't lose signal.

If it was me I would. I've gone back to the Unication antenna. Like I said, It has performed pretty well, actually better than I though it would but it's not enough to sell me on constant use. One thing I meant to note above and forgot to is that with the Laird antenna you don't have to trim any of the skirt off the antenna. It's almost close to a perfect fit as is.

I got a unication G5 we can hear everything but the 800 side. Was Wondering if changing the antenna would help?

Thanks
RR3118

mdsxfire

EDBM
I've tried several different antennas on my G4 - stock, Motorola, RS 800 with adapter....

The RS 800 is a huge improvement over the stock antenna and in my home area, required for reception of the NC VIPER system sites. Reception with the stock antenna inside my house is almost non-existent.

The Motorola was better than the stock antenna but not as good as the RS 800.

Having said that -- there are times when I don't want a better antenna -- primarily, when mobile. If you don't "force" program different zone/knobs with specific sites and talkgroups, the radio sometimes holds far too long on a site that I drove through/out of.... If you add the additional signal with a better antenna, it's even worse. I've driven out of the area for "site A" directly past "site B" and the radio is still holding on "site A"...

All depends on your application.

This only applies if it’s not a simulcast system? If I am monitoring a system with multiple sites but they simulcast, all sites broadcast the same traffic correct? I’m still learning the programming of these systems

KM4WLV

I didn't realize it's been almost 2 months since I started this thread. Time flies LOL.

Antenna update on my end. I've gone back to the Motorola stubby antenna. I tested the Laird antenna up in the NC foothills & such and it didn't do great, especially in the car. But I should also note that in some places it doesn't matter what antenna you have on it there are still dead zones.

I came up with an in vehicle solution for myself. The days that I've got the G5 in it's leather swivel case I have a mic clip mounted next to the mic clip for my mobile radio. The hook on the back of the case slides into the mic clip.

The days that it's not in the leather case (Sunday for church, etc) I have an air vent mounted cell phone holder where the G5 rides so the antenna has a "clear view" with no obstructions. I've got an antenna on the trunk lid for it and waiting on an adapter to come in so I can start using that.

Here's an idea I listen to with it........

- I monitor the Salisbury-Rowan P25 system. It's a 4 site simulcast system and the G5 of course doesn't suffer from LSD.

- I monitor the UASI Regional System, specifically Cabarrus & Stanly Counties. I monitor Charlotte when I visit my wife at work.

- I monitor VIPER. Of course I monitor SHP, but a lot of times I'll monitor all the traffic because you never know what you'll catch.

I live in Rockwell & in the winter when all the leaves are off the trees I can see the main tower site on Al's Knob for the Salisbury-Rowan P25 system. As far as VIPER the G5 usually locks onto the Faith Mtn site. And on UASI I've got each county that uses the system set up as if they were individual systems so I can be selective on what I listen to. Given the position I have with my agency I am a daily user of the Salisbury-Rowan system and my personal XTS2500 & backup XTS5000 (agency issued) has access to the Salisbury, VIPER, & UASI systems so that helps me confirm the G5 is operating as it should.

Anyway, that's enough rambling for me lol. It's midnight 57 and I need to get some sleep. Goodnight folks!

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Last edited:

mdsxfire

EDBM
I didn't realize it's been almost 2 months since I started this thread. Time flies LOL.

Antenna update on my end. I've gone back to the Motorola stubby antenna. I tested the Laird antenna up in the NC foothills & such and it didn't do great, especially in the car. But I should also note that in some places it doesn't matter what antenna you have on it there are still dead zones.

I came up with an in vehicle solution for myself. The days that I've got the G5 in it's leather swivel case I have a mic clip mounted next to the mic clip for my mobile radio. The hook on the back of the case slides into the mic clip.

The days that it's not in the leather case (Sunday for church, etc) I have an air vent mounted cell phone holder where the G5 rides so the antenna has a "clear view" with no obstructions. I've got an antenna on the trunk lid for it and waiting on an adapter to come in so I can start using that.

Here's an idea I listen to with it........

- I monitor the Salisbury-Rowan P25 system. It's a 4 site simulcast system and the G5 of course doesn't suffer from LSD.

- I monitor the UASI Regional System, specifically Cabarrus & Stanly Counties. I monitor Charlotte when I visit my wife at work.

- I monitor VIPER. Of course I monitor SHP, but a lot of times I'll monitor all the traffic because you never know what you'll catch.

I live in Rockwell & in the winter when all the leaves are off the trees I can see the main tower site on Al's Knob for the Salisbury-Rowan P25 system. As far as VIPER the G5 usually locks onto the Faith Mtn site. And on UASI I've got each county that uses the system set up as if they were individual systems so I can be selective on what I listen to. Given the position I have with my agency I am a daily user of the Salisbury-Rowan system and my personal XTS2500 & backup XTS5000 (agency issued) has access to the Salisbury, VIPER, & UASI systems so that helps me confirm the G5 is operating as it should.

Anyway, that's enough rambling for me lol. It's midnight 57 and I need to get some sleep. Goodnight folks!
Wish I had mine already (waiting for phase 2 update) but coming here and having conversations has helped me set up a great program for it so far and I have learned a lot about the systems and pager itself!

KM4WLV

After I posted the message above I pulled the Laird antenna out (the one this thread was started about) and took a second look........ I found that the pin was barely making contact in the base of the antenna. I'm thinking that with the pin barely touching it was doing more of a "passive" type job. I got my razor knife out and started taking very thin layers of the base off. It's now sitting as it should with the pin and antenna base making contact. It's working like a champ now. I'll give it another chance tomorrow while I'm on duty. I'll update my findings tomorrow evening. Goodnight folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.