• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Where is David?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwoWayTim

Im sure he has bigger fish to fry than monitoring what is going on here. He travels and works with system admins also.

Jimco

I'm wearing my flame-retardant suit, so I can say this.

After the scolding he got related to Phase II a short while back, I wouldn't be surprised if he decided to take a hiatus. I can understand everyone's eagerness to see Phase II support released, but I think David was here and providing information as a bonus for us. I got the distinct impression that he was going to back away from doing that after conversations a couple of months ago.

Jim

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I dont blame him one bit for taking time off from this forum. We were never the core market yet some people on it would make you think they are the largest customer owning 1 unit. LOL

Haley

I'm wearing my flame-retardant suit, so I can say this.

After the scolding he got related to Phase II a short while back, I wouldn't be surprised if he decided to take a hiatus. I can understand everyone's eagerness to see Phase II support released, but I think David was here and providing information as a bonus for us. I got the distinct impression that he was going to back away from doing that after conversations a couple of months ago.

Jim
I agree. I felt lucky he even came on here at all, because he certainly didn't have too. We aren't their core market after all.

troymail

Silent Key
There's lots of possible reasons - for all we know, he doesn't even work for Unication anymore. Still, I'd expect a rep to be here to answer questions.

When you're in the hot seat, you have to expect some negativity.

It's not hard - just avoid making promises.

Seems with the last firmware update, the push is now to redirect user questions to your vendor/reseller where you purchased your pager. I assumed that was just to prepare for the handling of the Phase 2 firmware release/purchases.

I guess time will tell....

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Well the funny thing is that people here with one unit (like me) can identify several problems in a matter of one day of using the device while their “core” market didn’t. Either did their “beta testers.” Because if they did, why would you release that buggy firmware. My example of the unit passing audio for a talkgroup not assigned to a knob position was found in one hour after the firmware update. I then diagnosed the issue using software such as Unitrunker to show the audio it is passing is from the next channel grant from the controller on that frequency. So that was why the talkgroup being displayed was not coinciding with the audio I was hearing. Same with the P25T vs RID not being displayed. I could keep going.

That is what bothers me. I’d rather have something that works the way it should. Otherwise, put it out there with “hey guys here is Phase II (for example)...let us know of issues so we can address it if possible.” How hard is it to add talkgroup delay, talkgroup hold, etc.

And while I may only have one unit, I have ALOT of public safety contacts and many in positions to recommend purchasing. My honest is my reputation. I will praise them for LSM and reception. But I will also let people know the limitations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwoWayTim

You guys kill me.

Do you think the manufacturers (not just Unication) care about some old guys,possibly in their moms basement, with issues using their product as a scanner? The Unication devices are for public safety and work darn good. If a talk group is encrypted, they get the encryption code. If my device shows one tower and yours a different one, who cares? That is how they are designed. Let them get their products updated to what they want, then they may address all the scanner issues, maybe. Phase II is the most important. Its not so you guys can listen, it is so they can sell a boat load of P25 pagers. They have multi thousand unit accounts to worry about.

Not every system is the same and the radios may act different. If you have an issue on a system that isnt using the G4, your out of luck. How do you expect David to troubleshoot some random issue on a system he knows nothing about? The answer is "HE ISNT" going to. If I was David I would not answer another question here ever.

Happy new year!

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
You’re argument makes absolutely zero sense. As I posted above, let’s say a public safety agency wants to monitor their analog dispatch channel on knob position 1 and then they use a P25 trunked system for response and operations, let’s call it talkgroup FIRE 1, in knob position 2. This is so members, many of which are volunteer across the majority of the U.S., can monitor situations enroute, etc. So after the initial page, I change my PAGER (because that’s what it is) to monitor or scan one or more talkgroups (BECAUSE THATS WHAT IT WAS DESIGNED FOR). But while I’m monitoring THAT talkgroup, I’m hearing comms for some DPW guys come through instead after a firmware update. A firmware tested and released by the company. Get off your soap box.

mdsxfire

EDBM
You guys kill me.

Do you think the manufacturers (not just Unication) care about some old guys,possibly in their moms basement, with issues using their product as a scanner? The Unication devices are for public safety and work darn good. If a talk group is encrypted, they get the encryption code. If my device shows one tower and yours a different one, who cares? That is how they are designed. Let them get their products updated to what they want, then they may address all the scanner issues, maybe. Phase II is the most important. Its not so you guys can listen, it is so they can sell a boat load of P25 pagers. They have multi thousand unit accounts to worry about.

Not every system is the same and the radios may act different. If you have an issue on a system that isnt using the G4, your out of luck. How do you expect David to troubleshoot some random issue on a system he knows nothing about? The answer is "HE ISNT" going to. If I was David I would not answer another question here ever.

Happy new year!

I agree that as far as it working as a scanner is not unications top priority, I am waiting for the phase 2 so I can test a unit out for my dept, if it works well we will be purchasing about 100, still small potatoes.

On another note some of the issues being picked up on by people using them as scanners do pose issues that should be addressed.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I agree that as far as it working as a scanner is not unications top priority, I am waiting for the phase 2 so I can test a unit out for my dept, if it works well we will be purchasing about 100, still small potatoes.

On another note some of the issues being picked up on by people using them as scanners do pose issues that should be addressed.

Sure they do but the difference between a comm manager and a scanner hobbyist is how their concerns are addressed, if you address the concern like some autistic 15 year old, well it runs people off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

goodmore

As a very new customer of Unication (in fact mine isn't even here yet) I have to wonder about their tech support. Why not just post firmware updates on your site? Why involve your retail people in issuing firmware updates? I mean what happens when my seller stops being a seller? Why must I send an email for a link to the PPS software? Why do these people want to even be hassled? Just post the links on your site. Now if there are legitimate reasons I freely appologize . Just seems like your rules make it harder for the customer.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I don’t think people are addressing issues like autistic 15 year olds. Maybe sarcastic pricks at the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.