• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G1 Long Tone Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Before I get to my question here is a little background on how things are set up in my county when it comes to tone outs. My county uses Plectron Tones and the timing is 2 seconds by 1 second and 8 seconds for long tones.

My county uses a long tone of 1180 for Weather and Special Announcements. 1180 tone frequency is also used as an A tone for the commercial EMS agencies.

My pager is opening up prematurely when its set for Long Tone, it kind of acts like its set up for single tone instead. Is there a setting that I might be overlooking? Or may I have found a bug in the firmware?

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
I'm a Unication Dealer. Did you set the tone out table for Fast Plectron, or are you using custom timing?

Is the EMS dispatch on the same frequency as the Weather Alert Tone? If not, you might want to create a second tone table for just the EMS frequency and assign it that way.

The Unication G1 does follow timing, so if your A tone is long enough to trigger, you might need to adjust your tone table accordingly. Just because your tones are Plectron standard, it doesn't mean your tone lengths are.
Fast Plectron tones are .75 x .25 sec in length for A/B tones. For long tones, the timing slips my mind.

It sounds like you are using Motorola Timing for the length of your A/B tones, they are 2x1seconds
Try changing the table to Motorola timing and let me know how that works.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
I'm a Unication Dealer. Did you set the tone out table for Fast Plectron, or are you using custom timing?

Is the EMS dispatch on the same frequency as the Weather Alert Tone? If not, you might want to create a second tone table for just the EMS frequency and assign it that way.

The Unication G1 does follow timing, so if your A tone is long enough to trigger, you might need to adjust your tone table accordingly. Just because your tones are Plectron standard, it doesn't mean your tone lengths are.
Fast Plectron tones are .75 x .25 sec in length for A/B tones. For long tones, the timing slips my mind.

It sounds like you are using Motorola Timing for the length of your A/B tones, they are 2x1seconds
Try changing the table to Motorola timing and let me know how that works.

Yes, Fire, EMS, and County Wide Alerts are transmitted on the frequency. I know the tone lengths aren't standard the county shortened them up back in 2007 or 8.

I do not see anything in the Tone Tables about timing, unless I'm overlooking something.

I did contact Unication Tech Support and this was the reply I received "Try changing the order of the stack of tones."

What I ended up doing was removing the long tone. There are a set of tones that are transmitted with that long tone and I placed them in instead.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I do not see anything in the Tone Tables about timing, unless I'm overlooking something. .
Tone timing is determined by the Tone System you select. Motorola is 1/3 for a regular QC-II pair and 8 seconds for the Long Tone.

I have a mix of tones from Motorola and Plectron charts but they all use Motorola timing. Some are A/B pairs and others are Long C. I have 20 G1's set up like this and they work just fine.

k3sls

Premium Subscriber
Yes, Fire, EMS, and County Wide Alerts are transmitted on the frequency. I know the tone lengths aren't standard the county shortened them up back in 2007 or 8.

I do not see anything in the Tone Tables about timing, unless I'm overlooking something.

I did contact Unication Tech Support and this was the reply I received "Try changing the order of the stack of tones."

What I ended up doing was removing the long tone. There are a set of tones that are transmitted with that long tone and I placed them in instead.

This might be a useful resource: https://www.midians.com/pdf/tone-signaling-charts.pdf

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin

Go into PPS and click on Tab F. From there click on the tone table you are using.

You'll be presented with the screen that you can enter your tones.

At the top, you can pull down the timing.

Pick Motorola. I'm almost certain that will fix your problems.

Attachments

• Unication Tab F.PNG
    Unication Tab F.PNG
    104.2 KB · Views: 189

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
I switched it to Motorola and everything seems to be working as it should when it comes to long tone. After RTFM I noticed that the timing for Plectron long tone is 3 seconds and that is why I was getting the premature alerting. One thing I want to point out is that we are indeed using Plectron tones when it comes to tone frequency. So one thing that had to be done was I had to select Plectron first, input the tone frequencies and then change paging system from Plectron to Motorola.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I switched it to Motorola and everything seems to be working as it should when it comes to long tone. After RTFM I noticed that the timing for Plectron long tone is 3 seconds and that is why I was getting the premature alerting. One thing I want to point out is that we are indeed using Plectron tones when it comes to tone frequency. So one thing that had to be done was I had to select Plectron first, input the tone frequencies and then change paging system from Plectron to Motorola.
You really don't need to set Plectron to enter the tones and then change to Motorola. If you set it to Motorola to start, and then enter your Plectron tones, the software will adjust the tones a tiny bit. My 1130/992 gets converted to 1129.7/991.3 and works just fine. These tone decoders can handle about a half % variation in frequency with no loss of proper decode.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
You really don't need to set Plectron to enter the tones and then change to Motorola. If you set it to Motorola to start, and then enter your Plectron tones, the software will adjust the tones a tiny bit. My 1130/992 gets converted to 1129.7/991.3 and works just fine. These tone decoders can handle about a half % variation in frequency with no loss of proper decode.

Thanks for the info. Good to know!

Status
Not open for further replies.