• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What does this mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRush311

Premium Subscriber
What does RFSS stand for
And what does the 2/90 denote?
I’m locked to tower 2 out of 90 towers?
Just want to understand the system better
This is the statewide nc VIPER system

Attachments

• 8C33DC0D-745F-4C79-9E2B-B61E5AA78707.jpg
    8C33DC0D-745F-4C79-9E2B-B61E5AA78707.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 490

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Some large systems are broke into zones so RFSS is the Zone or subsystem

Sent from my iPhone 8 using Tapatalk Pro
Jason WX4JCW
Unication G4, BCD536HP

Mr_Boh

RFSS = RF Subsystem. In P25 you have the system, then the subsystem, then sites within the subsystem. It is all about the architecture of a P25 system.

You're connected to Subsystem 2, Site 90. Those numbers are called out in the RadioReference Database.

So competing with the database you are in contact with the Wingate site.

JRush311

Premium Subscriber
So if I drive 150 miles will it change or do i have to setup diff zones to switch to
I see waxhaw is 88 I live within 20 miles of that

JRush311

Premium Subscriber
So if I drive towards the waxhaw site the numbers will change to 88?
And lock the the waxhaw tower?

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I have several Statewide systems programmed in my G5. I’ll use Palmetto P25 in SC and NC VIPER as examples. As I drive northbound on I-95, I have one knob position set to monitor all the SCHP talkgroups and another knob position set to monitor all the NCHP talkgroups in in PPS. The only time I have to touch my G5 when I exit SC and enter NC going north to change SYSTEMS and that’s with one knob click. When I’m driving in each state, the G5 will sample the control channels of adjacent sites I have programmed and select the one with the best signal. The site it’s currently monitoring will be displayed on the home screen (RFSS/Site). I’ve watched it switch seamlessly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

troymail

Silent Key
I have several Statewide systems programmed in my G5. I’ll use Palmetto P25 in SC and NC VIPER as examples. As I drive northbound on I-95, I have one knob position set to monitor all the SCHP talkgroups and another knob position set to monitor all the NCHP talkgroups in in PPS. The only time I have to touch my G5 when I exit SC and enter NC going north to change SYSTEMS and that’s with one knob click. When I’m driving in each state, the G5 will sample the control channels of adjacent sites I have programmed and select the one with the best signal. The site it’s currently monitoring will be displayed on the home screen (RFSS/Site). I’ve watched it switch seamlessly.

So I had to come back and read this again.... I thought it said - essentially that - the G5 will monitor a site and (potentially) use neighbor data from a site to learn of and switch to the next site even if that site is not programmed.... but reading it a second time, I believe you are saying that if seamlessly switches to another 'better' site of the sites you have programmed... that makes sense....

I thought I had seen in the past a case where my G5 would actually switch to a site based purely on neighbor data (i.e. a site that I have not specifically programmed). In fact, t some point, someone said "well that's what it does!". However, I am testing that right now and it ain't doin' that....

I have 1 single weak, somewhat distant site programmed for the VIPER system. I had to move the radio to the window to receive the site.... After letting the radio run a bit, I moved it away from the window and in short order, it lost the signal (out of range).... It isn't recovering (i.e. it may have captured neighbor data from the single site I have programmed but it isn't switching to anything else - it is just hanging onto the original site and reporting out of range....

So - the radio will automatically switch to a better site (just like Whistler scanners do) once the current control channel falls below some pre-determine quality level - but only sites you have programmed (unless of course you've programmed Specturm Scan for that system - but that's a whole 'nuther topic).

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Correct. Using Trunking TG Monitor, you have to program in the control and alternate channels of each site AND each individual RFSS and Site ID. Please understand this because you can customize your G4/G5 to how YOU want it set up or how talkgroups are carried over a system. For example, in NJ the new 7/800 Phase II system (NJICS) is just that, one core “System” and numerous “Sites.” A lot of different towns in various Counties across the State have jumped on to the “system.” Now here is the BUT....Town A talkgroup is only carried on the individual County simulcast “site” where Town A is located. So even if I have every site programmed in, I will not hear Town A unless I’m within range and the unit “affiliates” (even though the Unications technically don’t affiliate, they sample) to that “site.” So if you are in between two sites and you have both programmed in, you may lock on to the site of the next County over because it’s just a tad bit stronger from where you area. You’ll have full bars and hear nothing. So, I have several “Sites” programmed as their own “System.” In other words, I only have the control/alternate channels for that one site and just that site RFSS and Site ID. This is how you “force” a site. Since the talkgroup isn’t carried on the other sites outside that County, there is no need for me to program all the other sites in.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
One correction to the above after I looked at PPS instead of typing from my head. I meant to say Trunking TG-SCAN instead of “Monitor.”

troymail

Silent Key
Yes - I already knew all that....

I'm currently (re)investigating the idea that the Gx can use purely neighbor data to find a better site... so far, I'm not seeing this in my tests today - at least not in the most current version of the firmware.

Status
Not open for further replies.