• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

One Talk Group Will Not Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Although I've been loving the G4, I might have just run into a deal-breaker that will have me returning it, but I haven't given up searching for a solution. I have one particular talk group, just one, that will not get picked up, ever. I've tripled checked the TGID / HEX, all of the settings etc. I can put my BCD436HP right next to it and the scanner will stop on that talk group (same exact information), bu the G4 absolutely never does. I can see no logical reason for this. As luck would have it (of course), this is the most important talk group for me, and not getting it will likely mean returning the G4. Not one other talk group on any system does this, just the one I need most, and it's baffling.

Any ideas?

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
One tg won't work?

Not enough information. What SYSTEM? SITE? talk-group? And could it be that Talk-group is Phase II TDMA? as G4/G5's only get Phase 1 until the upgrade comes out (soon) ;0)

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
@troymail, Ha,yes, that upgrade to Phase II should be out any minute now ;0))

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
You guys are quick lol. TGID 4737 (GPD A04), item number 20, used with system "Simulcast G", on zones 2 and 4. Even with a TG Monitor setting, that TG is never picked up. I seriously doubt that one TG is Phase 2 on a system where every other TG is Phase 1, but it is technically possible. I do know that Simulcast G is one pretty low priority Simulcast on a huge system, and that it's very unlikely it would be the first Simulcast to go Phase 2 with one TG, and that the P2 rollout is supposed to be a ways off, but still I need to double check....great point.

PPS file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/w723n4mxd4mgji3/GxPPS_V0.3.10 Beta07_Standard_180130.unipps?dl=0

This is the RR system: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=2508

Oh and unfortunately I'm not near enough to the tower now for the 436 to pick the system up for me to check the type (though the G4 is at four bars and receiving every transmission no problem). I will check later.

Last edited:

troymail

Silent Key
I see nothing in the PPS config that jumps out as a problem (yet)...

Oh and unfortunately I'm not near enough to the tower now for the 436 to pick the system up for me to check the type (though the G4 is at four bars and receiving every transmission no problem). I will check later.

Need to know what the 436 is showing when 4737 / GPD A04 is active --

P25? PT0/PT1 ?

Which site is it showing active on?

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
As others are pointing out, need more information. Is the Unication locking on a different site than the Uniden ? Maybe that site is affiliation only to pass the talkgroup. Maybe the talkgroup is TDMA. A lot of possibilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
I see nothing in the PPS config that jumps out as a problem (yet)...

Need to know what the 436 is showing when 4737 / GPD A04 is active --

P25? PT0/PT1 ?

Which site is it showing active on?

As unlikely as I think P2 is on that system / simulcast / TG, I can't rule it out until I check, and will do that tonight. P2 usage would definitely explain the issue. I greatly appreciate your taking a look at the file.

And I'm new to Unication but got the joke...I see that P2 support has been coming "any time" for over a year. My $150 will be waiting and ready for the upgrade...whenever it happens. We have our Sheriff's office ready to go live with P2 soon, and the massive RWC system will be slowly moving to P2 starting at some point this year.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
As others are pointing out, need more information. Is the Unication locking on a different site than the Uniden ? Maybe that site is affiliation only to pass the talkgroup. Maybe the talkgroup is TDMA. A lot of possibilities.

Solid question, and the two devices are definitely looking at the same simulcast control channel.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
TG not heard?

Looking at your PPS Under #2 Freq and system settings. Shouldn't the RFSS be 5 - 1 instead of 1 -1?
Simulcast G - West valley? is that what we're looking at?
RWC SIM G - clicking site list in #2 tab I see 1 -1 Looking at RRef data should it be 5-1? instead? shot in the dark?

Last edited by a moderator:

troymail

Silent Key
Looking at your PPS Under #2 Freq and system settings. Shouldn't the RFSS be 5 - 1 instead of 1 -1?
RWC SIM G - clicking site list in #2 tab I see 1 -1 Looking at RRef data should it be 5-1? instead? shot in the dark?

I think that makes you two for two!

Given the problem being reported was this "one talkgroup" wasn't working so I didn't look at the RFSS/Site info that closely but it would appear that Sim G shouldn't be working at all for any talkgroup....

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber

BINGO!

Thanks!

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
One Talk Group ?

Glad you got it working. I found out the first 2 attempts on mine that if something shows "out of range" and you know it's not, it's most likely the RFSS and those settings you get from RREF. I was busy watching Hockey tonight and hadn't checked the forum and just found this now. Have fun

troymail

Silent Key
Glad you got it working. I found out the first 2 attempts on mine that if something shows "out of range" and you know it's not, it's most likely the RFSS and those settings you get from RREF. I was busy watching Hockey tonight and hadn't checked the forum and just found this now. Have fun

So this is the question --- was the radio showing out of range? That's indicates a completely different problem from a description of "not receiving one talkgroup".

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Quick note: I too have had the inaccurate RR database issues. Simple fix is to make the RFSS and Site values F’s. You can also do that with the WACN as a lot of Harris Systems don’t BEE00 like Motorola. The correct Site and WACN values will display on the front screen and if you scroll down it will show the WACN. Please make sure you submit the corrections to the RR database for others. Also, the next most common mistake I’ve found helping others is when it asks for HEX value they use DEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.