RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Unication Forum

Unication Forum - Forum for discussion of Unication products.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2018, 7:21 PM

Thatís my point, as well as others. When we all bought we paid top dollar. And I bought through Ray. Six months later they are $250 less. And now a paid upgrade for Phase II when it seems this preorder includes it. Hmmmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2018, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal-Zero View Post
Thatís my point, as well as others. When we all bought we paid top dollar. And I bought through Ray. Six months later they are $250 less. And now a paid upgrade for Phase II when it seems this preorder includes it. Hmmmmm

Well I'm glad I waited.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2018, 7:41 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

That's typical of most any electronic product - they are full price initially and then come down over time. No, that doesn't make it less painful to know you paid more than someone else but it isn't anything uncommon or specific to this product.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:18 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Everyone who bought a Unication up to this point knew in advance it wasn't compatible with Phase 2. I don't under stand why anyone would feel the manufacture or a dealer would owe you a free Phase 2 upgrade. Uniden and Whistler didn't to that for free. With both of them you had to purchase an entirely new radio, not just a firmware upgrade. Even if the Unication does not require any hardware upgrades, research, testing and development cost associated with adding features in a firmware update cost time and money.

As a consumer, there is a price to pay for bleeding edge technology and bragging rights.
Old 02-02-2018, 1:08 PM

I actually am preparing for the possibility that they make the decision to not make the Phase 1 units upgradable at all. I know that will send most people over the edge because that goes completely against what was originally advertised.

I really hope that doesnít happen, but Iím getting prepared for that possibility.
Sponsored links
Old 02-02-2018, 2:07 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by scan18 View Post
I actually am preparing for the possibility that they make the decision to not make the Phase 1 units upgradable at all. I know that will send most people over the edge because that goes completely against what was originally advertised.

I really hope that doesnít happen, but Iím getting prepared for that possibility.
I guess that ultimately comes down to one question, and that is whether P2 capability is a firmware or hardware upgrade. Has anyone confirmed that it is truly just a matter of firmware?
Old 02-02-2018, 2:38 PM

Most of the companies out there like AT&T, Cable companies and others always offer better deals to new customers. Just remember when they want you back.

Last edited by goodmore; 02-02-2018 at 4:10 PM..
Old 02-02-2018, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR7CQ View Post
I guess that ultimately comes down to one question, and that is whether P2 capability is a firmware or hardware upgrade. Has anyone confirmed that it is truly just a matter of firmware?
It's on Unication's website. It's a software (firmware) update.

Unication USA
Old 02-02-2018, 3:28 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR7CQ View Post
P2 is a firmware upgrade. The hardware supports it.
Old 02-02-2018, 4:04 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmSixNine View Post
P2 is a firmware upgrade. The hardware supports it.
Then the worst case scenario is that slightly upset early adopters will be shelling out $150 for a firmware upgrade. That's irritating I guess, but better than the other alternative.
Old 02-02-2018, 4:44 PM
Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Gents, might I suggest that instead of engaging the troll, you ignore him.

Thanks.

Sorry but I don't accept PM's. Please use email instead.
Old 02-02-2018, 5:10 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMONITOR View Post
Everyone who bought a Unication up to this point knew in advance it wasn't compatible with Phase 2. I don't under stand why anyone would feel the manufacture or a dealer would owe you a free Phase 2 upgrade. Uniden and Whistler didn't to that for free. With both of them you had to purchase an entirely new radio, not just a firmware upgrade. Even if the Unication does not require any hardware upgrades, research, testing and development cost associated with adding features in a firmware update cost time and money.

As a consumer, there is a price to pay for bleeding edge technology and bragging rights.
This is Well Said i knew this G5 VHF did NOT have Phase-2 when i got mine maybe people need to do better READING up on things better before buying. I'm 100%%%% Happy
Old 02-02-2018, 5:13 PM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Going from P25 Phase 1 only to Phase 2 support requires significant up-front fees (6 figures) and then an ongoing and bigger royalty payment to DVSI. In addition to the development cost itself. If they can do this for free, I want to find out how...
Personal Blog
Old 02-02-2018, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOxlong View Post
Gents, might I suggest that instead of engaging the troll, you ignore him.

Thanks.

If that is in reference to my post earlier, my apologies, there was no intent to troll. I wasnít trying to start a big reaction, it was just a thought.

Anyway, carry on.
Old 02-02-2018, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scan18 View Post

Iím pretty sure a beta tester posted video of a G5 monitoring a phase2 system, and that we can preorder the G5 with phase 2 is a pretty good sign that itís just firmware. But hey if they wanna send me a G6 for the price I paid with phase 2...awesome lol

Old 02-02-2018, 7:13 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I just placed my pre-order with Rayís,now the wait begins! Once I get it all setup Iíll post some videos on YouTube of monitoring from my area.
Old 02-02-2018, 8:02 PM

I was well aware of what I bought when I bought it and what itís capabilities are. I have other methods of monitoring Phase II that suits my needs. I also understand supply and demand. My point is...it was many of us early buyers that posted and commented about how well these units worked, obviously resulting in others making the purchase (free advertising). It was also many of us early buyers that went on here and helped others getting up to speed on programming these products since other support is difficult to read, slow to respond or doesnít respond at all (free tech support). We also posted bugs and suggestions in/for varies firmware releases (free R&D and Beta testing). 6 months later they are $250 less. Ok, fine. I lost on that one, I should have waited. But, I anticipated the price actually going UP since they were in such demand and worked so well and were advertising Phase II in the near future (although that got delayed a while to say the least). Then they talk about Phase II being a paid upgrade. Ok, Iíll still dish out the cash. But then, I see a preorder price with Phase II included which is basically $400 plus less than what I paid when you add in a paid upgrade for us early purchasers. If thatís the case, then you got me once, but donít expect me to buy anymore products when you donít take care of your earlier purchases, which are easily identified through dealers and serial numbers. And yes UpMan, I know how much it costs even if it doesnít work so well with certain scanner manufacturers.

Old 02-02-2018, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsxfire View Post
Iím pretty sure a beta tester posted video of a G5 monitoring a phase2 system, and that we can preorder the G5 with phase 2 is a pretty good sign that itís just firmware. But hey if they wanna send me a G6 for the price I paid with phase 2...awesome lol

Can you find me a link to that video I'd like to see it for myself.

Old 02-02-2018, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal-Zero View Post
I was well aware of what I bought when I bought it and what itís capabilities are. I have other methods of monitoring Phase II that suits my needs. I also understand supply and demand. My point is...it was many of us early buyers that posted and commented about how well these units worked, obviously resulting in others making the purchase (free advertising). It was also many of us early buyers that went on here and helped others getting up to speed on programming these products since other support is difficult to read, slow to respond or doesnít respond at all (free tech support). We also posted bugs and suggestions in/for varies firmware releases (free R&D and Beta testing). 6 months later they are $250 less. Ok, fine. I lost on that one, I should have waited. But, I anticipated the price actually going UP since they were in such demand and worked so well and were advertising Phase II in the near future (although that got delayed a while to say the least). Then they talk about Phase II being a paid upgrade. Ok, Iíll still dish out the cash. But then, I see a preorder price with Phase II included which is basically $400 plus less than what I paid when you add in a paid upgrade for us early purchasers. If thatís the case, then you got me once, but donít expect me to buy anymore products when you donít take care of your earlier purchases, which are easily identified through dealers and serial numbers. And yes UpMan, I know how much it costs even if it doesnít work so well with certain scanner manufacturers.

Agreed, you guys that have had them absolutely have helped a lot of us out and I was pointed to the unication for monitoring from these forums as well, and have said from the beginning they (unication) should come here to get beta testers and to look at what issues users are having and they would get a lot of good feedback. Would be great for them to throw u guys a bone!

Old 02-02-2018, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verhoffj1 View Post
Can you find me a link to that video I'd like to see it for myself.

I will scour some forums and link it