RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Unication Forum

Unication Forum - Forum for discussion of Unication products.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2018, 10:26 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Charging Base - worth it?

I'm going to finally buy a G5, now that Phase 2 pre-sale is up and running. Do you think the charging base (non-amplified) is worth the cost? Do you think it makes it much easier to charge?

Thanks for the help!

Jeff
Sponsored links
Old 02-01-2018, 9:24 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

It really all depends on your definition of easier. LOL
Is it really that hard to move a plastic flap and plug in a micro usb cord?
I have a drop in charger for a while now and have yet to set it up next to my other 2-way radio chargers.

Guess its like the android phones. I have wireless charging on my phone and set it down to charge it but is it that much easier then plugging in a charger.

Its not like changing your tire with a lug wrench vs an impact wrench. ha ha ha..

Now in the long run yes. You will save wear and tear on that plastic cover on the side and wear and tear on the actual charging port as well. Not to mention if your having a bad day and take your anger out on the port by forcing the plug in to hard or backwards. Ive seen it happen on phones so its possible to happen on the Unication device.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM4OBL View Post
I'm going to finally buy a G5, now that Phase 2 pre-sale is up and running. Do you think the charging base (non-amplified) is worth the cost? Do you think it makes it much easier to charge?
I think it is. I have both the amplified base and the charging base. I actually prefer the charging base (non-amplified) because I lose the first second or so of audio on the amplified base. I almost always charge mine in the base and I find it very convenient.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:57 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I got the non amplified charger with my G5 and I have mixed emotions on it.

It is nice to be able to drop the radio in and have it charge. It does save some wear and tear on the USB connector and protecting flap. If that is a concern.

I found the charger to be a bit flimsy and usually have to jiggle the radio around in the charger to get it to start charging. I usually let it charge overnight so I cannot state if the drop in charges faster than the USB cable (especially through a higher current USB port).
Old 02-01-2018, 11:10 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Interesting responses so far! Thanks for the help!

Jeff
Sponsored links
Old 02-01-2018, 12:11 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmSixNine View Post
...Not to mention if your having a bad day and take your anger out on the port by forcing the plug in to hard or backwards. Ive seen it happen on phones so its possible to happen on the Unication device.
Hopefully, very soon, the USB C mini connector that my Galaxy S8 uses will be universal on all small electronic devices. It's so beautiful to have a connector with rounded ends that can be inserted either direction. Micro USB is too small for aging eyes to see properly in low light, and it's a PITA.
Old 02-01-2018, 2:25 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR7CQ View Post
Hopefully, very soon, the USB C mini connector that my Galaxy S8 uses will be universal on all small electronic devices. It's so beautiful to have a connector with rounded ends that can be inserted either direction. Micro USB is too small for aging eyes to see properly in low light, and it's a PITA.
Good point. I know my aging eyes are not what they used to be.
Old 02-01-2018, 2:33 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Agreed on USB C or apples lightening connector. Very nice to just be able to plug with out having to make sure its the proper alignment.

Even though micro USB is a standard and eventaully USB C will be one, many devices still ship with mini USB.
Uniden scanners come to mind.
Old 02-01-2018, 4:20 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I definitely like mine, but I doubt I would have ever paid $88 for it. I got mine free with a purchase of a G4 during a holiday sale. I think a $40 price point would make it much more attractive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2018, 4:33 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have a magnetic connector on my S8 and it's easier than just the C plug.. It also works either direction and it's small enough that doesn't interfere with the wireless charger. I love it.
Old 02-01-2018, 7:49 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by u7string View Post
I definitely like mine, but I doubt I would have ever paid $88 for it. I got mine free with a purchase of a G4 during a holiday sale. I think a $40 price point would make it much more attractive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with you - the price is steep. I'm still on the fence about spending for it. The only reason I'm considering it is that the Phase 2 upgrade is being included in the price of the G5.

Jeff
Old 02-03-2018, 9:58 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Amplified Base - works great but antenna that comes with it sucks - get a High Gain 800mhz. antenna too.
Old 02-04-2018, 8:02 AM

Turns out I didn't like the amplified base. Reception was worse than just the radio. Speaker was cheap and sounded like crap. For the money they want it just isn't close to the same quality standards as the G5 itself. Thought about getting just the charging base, but they want too much for that. I'll replace the USB flap when it breaks. They cost five bucks.
Old 02-04-2018, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmore View Post
Turns out I didn't like the amplified base. Reception was worse than just the radio. Speaker was cheap and sounded like crap. For the money they want it just isn't close to the same quality standards as the G5 itself. Thought about getting just the charging base, but they want too much for that. I'll replace the USB flap when it breaks. They cost five bucks.
Unless you are using your G5 in a severe environment, do you even need the flap? Those flaps seem like just an annoyance...like the one on my cell phone case. I usually cut them off anyway with no ill effect
Old 02-04-2018, 7:13 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Just an FYI - Mine came with a long whip antenna - that was not able to be easily shortened to the 800 Mhz. Band and signal would drop with the use of it. But once I bought a High Gain 800 Mhz. BNC antenna it works fabulous.

I like this better than fooling with plugging in the cable each time.
Old 02-09-2018, 5:00 AM
...I'm trying to listen.
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

How do charging times compare for the three charging methods?

How does leaving the pager turned on affect the charging?

I'm considering the amplified charging base because I want to be able to come home and drop it in the charger and continue listening.
Old 02-09-2018, 7:13 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvacs View Post
Just an FYI - Mine came with a long whip antenna - that was not able to be easily shortened to the 800 Mhz. Band and signal would drop with the use of it. But once I bought a High Gain 800 Mhz. BNC antenna it works fabulous.

If you got it online can you please post the link to it?