• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

No Reception Near Verizon Cell Towers

Status
Not open for further replies.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
I did a little search and didn't see anything, so I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed G4/5 reception being completely wiped out near cell sites. In my case, Verizon cell sites are the culprits. They transmit in the 700 MHz range around here, the same range local PS systems transmit in. When I get within probably 100-150 feet of a Verizon site, there is zero reception for all systems. As soon as I move out of that range, things return to normal. This is a relatively minor issue for "scanner people" like me, but I would think this would potentially be a big issue for the intended customer base. I'm not knocking the G4/5, as I realize the price difference between one of these devices and a PS radio, just noting what I'm seeing and asking if others are observing the same thing. I'm assuming there is little that could be done to combat this issue at this price point, so not a big deal to me, just curious.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Sounds like the old Nextel problem at 800 MHz. I am not surprised. I wonder how the Motorola and Harris subscribers work in that environment.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

emtLarmy15

I’ve been directly under a Verizon site (guyed mast antennas roughly 150-175 up) and had no issue on a Harris EDACS 800 system) I’ll check our new p25 system.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I have the same results on my Whistler TRX-2 in my truck - I can be listening to a transmission on a p25 system and as I get close to the site it will garble and then go away.

I live within sight of this cell site and it's somewhat of a pain even at my house on my shack scanners.

radio3353

No surprise here. Your radio is simply overloaded by the strength of the signal from the Verizon transmitter thereby making your radio deaf. Very common issue. As you found, solution is to attenuate the Verizon signal (in your case by moving away.) As you correctly guessed, professional radios are less prone to this type of overload, but they can still be affected if the signal is strong enough. It's just the way it is...strong signals carry a big punch.

jblock56

Premium Subscriber
now I'm concerned

I have been waiting for the P2 rollout to purchase a G4 and was getting ready to pull the trigger on the upgrade offer now in effect. There is a Verizon pole top transmitter about 200 feet from my home. Not sure if this is going to make my G4 useless on Phase 2 at my house.

radio3353

I have been waiting for the P2 rollout to purchase a G4 and was getting ready to pull the trigger on the upgrade offer now in effect. There is a Verizon pole top transmitter about 200 feet from my home. Not sure if this is going to make my G4 useless on Phase 2 at my house.

It has nothing to do with Phase 2. If you have a problem with overload from a nearby tower it will affect all modulation types. Do you have a problem now with your scanners? If not, you are OK.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Those pole top installs are usually much lower power that their big brother sites, so it may not be an issue at 200 feet.

I had the same issue with one of my towers at work. We lease out space on it to cell carriers. When Verizon did their 700MHz LTE roll out, the ADS-B receiver I was playing with at that site lost it's RX on all but very close aircraft. I ended up moving it to another site.
Haven't had any issues with my 800MHz repeater at the same site (better filtering) or the 800MHz portables used in that area.

jblock56

Premium Subscriber
My Uniden works fine on 470mhz P25 signals. Nothing near me is in the 770mhz range other than the P2 NJ State System. I am hoping that the lower power of the pole top node will be less likely to intefere with the G4 as mmckenna pointed out.

KB7MIB

I did a little search and didn't see anything, so I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed G4/5 reception being completely wiped out near cell sites. In my case, Verizon cell sites are the culprits. They transmit in the 700 MHz range around here, the same range local PS systems transmit in. When I get within probably 100-150 feet of a Verizon site, there is zero reception for all systems. As soon as I move out of that range, things return to normal. This is a relatively minor issue for "scanner people" like me, but I would think this would potentially be a big issue for the intended customer base. I'm not knocking the G4/5, as I realize the price difference between one of these devices and a PS radio, just noting what I'm seeing and asking if others are observing the same thing. I'm assuming there is little that could be done to combat this issue at this price point, so not a big deal to me, just curious.

I have the same problem with my PSR 500, which I think is due to the full size cell tower on the southeast corner of 43rd and Northern Aves, on the Phoenix/Glendale border.
I work in that area.
Simulcast reception sucks to begin with, of course, but even reception of the IR sites, or the AZWIN system is degraded within a few hundred yards radius of that tower.

John
Peoria, AZ

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I have experienced the exact same thing. Im able to narrow it down to 2-3 parking spots at a local whataburger with a short cell tower at the edge of the parking lot.
Been meaning to test it with my KNG2-P800 to see if that too is affected.
Dont know who is on the tower other then its a low monopole tower loaded with antennas.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
I believe the cell companies using the 700 MHz band are the culprits for those who are seeing interference on PS systems in that range. Around here Verizon was lucky enough to claim that band, leaving everyone else on 1.9 and 2.1 GHz bands (which means their phone service pretty much stinks compared to Verizon in this area, as an aside). However I know different cell carriers get dibs on the 700 MHz band in different locations. I know Verizon towers not just by their unique look (big, long antenna boxes spaced far from the pole), but I verify by getting near them for a data test (I'm a Verizon customer), and top speeds only happen close to the tower. So verifying a Verizon tower is pretty easy, though I can pick them out visually. The companies using the higher frequency bands have smaller antenna boxes packed tightly to the pole (I've looked up local carrier frequencies and verified with work phones of T-mobile, ATT, etc.)

If anyone works with cell towers here they are probably laughing at my terminology, but hopefully this makes sense.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I have experienced the exact same thing. Im able to narrow it down to 2-3 parking spots at a local whataburger with a short cell tower at the edge of the parking lot.
Been meaning to test it with my KNG2-P800 to see if that too is affected.
Dont know who is on the tower other then its a low monopole tower loaded with antennas.

I managed to get back to Whataburger (for testing purposes of course) over the weekend and my G4 lost signal on 2 systems in the parking lot near the cell tower.
My KNG2-P800 did not.

The odd thing is its literally within in 2 or 3 parking spots. I can walk 10 feet away and system is back to full bars on the G4.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Considering the cost differential between the G5 and the KNG, I'll walk the 10 feet over. <big smirk>

Yup. Bottom line the Unication G series are (relatively) cheap Chinese radios (compared to the real deal), but they work pretty darn well and for the money I'm more than happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.