• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G4 audio quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

radio3353

Question about the audio quality of a G4 using the built in speaker. Does the built in speaker have some bass to it or does it sound tinny? I ask because I high high-frequency hearing loss (too many years of sirens :() and if I don't have my hearing aids in I have a difficult time understanding voices over tinny speakers. Is the G4 sound quality better than a consumer scanner? Thanks.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
That’s hard to answer. I’d say the audio is better than my PSR-800 but no where near my APX. At low volume the Unication has a “hiss” to it. I don’t know how else to describe it. In a mobile environment, it doesn’t get as loud as I’d like it to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I think the G4 audio is very punchy. Compared to scanners (Uniden 396XT) and Icom/Yaesu HTs and receivers, it's pretty loud and easily fills the cabin of my SUV, whereas the others don't.

When I hear a transmission from someone with a gravelly voice (for example)...it really cuts through.

I can't compare the G4 to other commercial radios because I don't have any.

my G5 VHF works and sounds GREAT to me never a problem as long as you know its a pager NOT a scanner i have the TRX-2 can;t pick up Ohio Marc's 700\800 System with the scanner when the G5 has NO problems to monitor the system.

MrRadio

I can't say if the G4 has the exact same speaker (and quality) of my G5 but if it does, the audio quality is great compared to ANY scanner.

My only critiques are:

-Audio COULD use a little more bass. That would not make or break the decision to buy one however.
-Programmable Talk-group delay per talk-group or system would be nice
-Talk-group HOLD function (programmable to top button on channel knob?) would be nice

Other than those points, (and the phase 2 that I and many others are waiting for) I would say go for it!

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
G4 overall is punchy (high tones low bass) - but gets loud.

Now I will say with an external speaker - like the charging base the tones do have a bit more bass.

Status
Not open for further replies.