RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Unication Forum

Unication Forum - Forum for discussion of Unication products.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2018, 9:17 PM

Default G4/G5 Amplified Charging Base Q's

I'm thinking about getting the Amplified Charging Base for my G5.

Would some of you that own one mind giving me your opinions on how well it works?

Can the G5 be left in the charging base for extended periods (12-24 hrs) without damaging the battery?

Does it really disconnect the G5 speaker and route the audio only to the base speaker?

Is the base speaker audio as loud and clear as the G5 speaker? How does it compare?

Does the G5 physically fit well in the charging cup? How durable has it been overall?

It looks like this base charges the G5 slightly faster than the plain cup charger that uses the G5 USB cord. Can anyone confirm this?

I skimmed the manual but can't recall if some of these were explained.

Thanks for your input!
Pro-2042/Opto535/Probe, Pro-2006/Opto456/Probe, Pro-2066, BC9000XLTx2

Last edited by MrRadio; 03-05-2018 at 9:24 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 03-05-2018, 9:44 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Sub'd, am curious about the same.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:54 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Default Unication G5 base

MrRadio wrote: I'm thinking about getting the Amplified Charging Base for my G5.

Would some of you that own one mind giving me your opinions on how well it works? -
Works fine if you put the pager in correctly, the antenna on back is a quandary, does it work with external hook-up? yes, but don't expect perfect UHF/VHF pick up unless the freq is in the same town. I don't have a lot of local VHF left so others may be able to comment on this more. 700/800mhz is perfect in the slot. I noticed a lowered volume when scanning VHF and the pager is sitting in the slot

Can the G5 be left in the charging base for extended periods (12-24 hrs) without damaging the battery? -
YES - I've left it in all day monitoring while it's charging, charging turns it self off when all lights are green on the pager and charger. I've had no problems with it except flashing red light cause it's not set in the charger correctly. I've had it show an "error" and it was warm to the touch which was cured with unplugging it, re-plugging it in and blowing a small fan on it while it charges. Seems to know when your battery is kaput too, as it won't recharge completely and flashes the red light to warn you it's time for a new one. My battery lasted over 9 months with nearly 12 hour use every day and more, just bought a new one from Ray's Pager's in PA

Does it really disconnect the G5 speaker and route the audio only to the base speaker?- Yes. Loud and clear and has a 3.5mm outlet for an even louder speaker or headphones. Headphone is in mono for some reason. If you have a little stereo adapter from Radio Shack like I do* you can get sound in both headphones

Is the base speaker audio as loud and clear as the G5 speaker? How does it compare? - the Base is louder than the pager speaker.

Does the G5 physically fit well in the charging cup? How durable has it been overall? - FITS by lowering it to touch the metal recharge grid below, but you have to make sure and squeeze the belt clip while inserting the pager in the slot, it can keep it from seating all the way. Had it for almost a year now, nothing has broken even after a few drops

It looks like this base charges the G5 slightly faster than the plain cup charger that uses the G5 USB cord. Can anyone confirm this? -
Yes. Haven't timed it. But noticed it does go faster than the USB hookup

I skimmed the manual but can't recall if some of these were explained.-
Some, but the manual is generic and boring. Youtube videos are better at showing (how to's)

Last edited by Johnnydollar2; 03-05-2018 at 11:23 PM.. Reason: edits
Old 03-06-2018, 4:55 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Default G4/G5 Amp-Charger?

Here is a short video of the Amp/Charger. I don't have the audio jacked up too loud, but it gets
as LOUD as you need. There's even a 3.5mm outlet to have an even louder remote speaker if you want. I sometimes hook my old Radio Shack scanner/CB speaker to it, has even more bass.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVtXB0KBjss
Old 03-06-2018, 11:34 PM

Thanks for all the info. Johnny.

I plan to order one as soon as I see that the phase 2 update is a reality (and works correctly).
Sponsored links
Old 03-07-2018, 9:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRadio View Post
Thanks for all the info. Johnny.

I plan to order one as soon as I see that the phase 2 update is a reality (and works correctly).

Yup still waiting 3 weeks left in the 1Q 2018

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2018, 11:23 AM

Sounds great! I need to pick up one of these. Best place to get one?
Old 05-13-2018, 1:00 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I've had mine about 3 weeks. Awesome investment and you will be extremely happy. they show on BO right now. Glad I go mine when I did.

I keep mine next to the bed at night and monitor the local FD. don't always wake up to it but, might catch a good one some time.
Old 05-13-2018, 1:25 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Default G4/G5 Amp/Base

I got mine at Ray's in PA. Very fast service. I see they're on backorder though (May 13) today
I'm sure others have some suggestions like Scanner-Master. I think the price is the same.
Unication Accessories for G4-G5 Voice Pagers | ScannerMaster.com

Unication G1 G4 & G5 Pagers - Fire & EMS Services - Ray's Pager Sales
Old 05-29-2018, 5:38 PM

Can I have the G4 in the Amplified Charger and have the USB connected to my computer to program it or do I need to take the G4 out of the Amplified Charger first?
Old 06-01-2018, 1:01 PM

I just bought the Charger/amplifier for my G4. Just a couple of questions I noticed it comes with an antenna is it a better antenna than the one that comes with the G4. Secondly, does this device work on batteries or just AC power.
Old 06-02-2018, 3:26 PM

Well, my Charger/Amplifier came today and it works pretty well except for one abnormality in between radio transmissions there is a bumping noise coming out of the speaker. Is there a fix for that or is it something I just have to get use to.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:19 PM

the bumping or popping noise is just a minor inconvenience I have pretty much got use to it by now. Overall I am very happy with this product.
Old 06-03-2018, 7:50 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsh1885 View Post
the bumping or popping noise is just a minor inconvenience I have pretty much got use to it by now. Overall I am very happy with this product.
My amplified charger makes an audible click every time the G4 receives a call. Also, the audio signal through the 3.5mm jack makes a pop sound. I get around that by running my audio through a mixer that all but eliminates the pop.
Old 06-03-2018, 7:57 PM

The consensus here is that the pop or other noise you hear is the audio amplifier switching on and off with each transmission. Not sure why Unication designed it this way as opposed to having the amp on all the time, but that is how they did it. Hopefully they offer a better product some day as it is a convenient accessory.
Old 06-03-2018, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio3353 View Post
The consensus here is that the pop or other noise you hear is the audio amplifier switching on and off with each transmission. Not sure why Unication designed it this way as opposed to having the amp on all the time, but that is how they did it. Hopefully they offer a better product some day as it is a convenient accessory.
I agree it should be Amplified all the time not only during transmission's ridiculous. It gets annoying hearing the noise plus missing a very small portion of the conversation.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2018, 5:12 PM

I've had my base charger for 3 weeks now and I'm very happy with it.

It does occasionally have the pop/click noise when transmissions start but I've become used to it.

In addition, if I'm sitting right next to the radio I don't use the charger. If I'm going to be in a different room, I use it and then I'm so far away that I don't even hear the clicks.

The only issue I have is that it's often hard make electrical contact when sitting it in the pocket. I often have to remove it and push it down fairly hard once or twice (holding the belt clip open) and then wait 2-3 seconds to see if it acknowledges contact.
Old 06-12-2018, 6:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Nice video, thanks for doing that. I have a G4 a couple months old and I like it but the volume just doesn't seem to be there. If I'm home and having it sitting next to me on the desk or something it's fine but no where enough being in the car or having some noise around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnydollar2 View Post
Here is a short video of the Amp/Charger. I don't have the audio jacked up too loud, but it gets
as LOUD as you need. There's even a 3.5mm outlet to have an even louder remote speaker if you want. I sometimes hook my old Radio Shack scanner/CB speaker to it, has even more bass.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVtXB0KBjss
Old 06-12-2018, 7:13 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Default G4/G5 Amp/Charger

@MidwestRadioListener -- Thanks, although I had the camera/mic too close to the unit. The G5 volume is good for me in the car just around town without the amp. But on longer trips and road noise IS too much. I use a B/T receiver/transmitter hooked up to another cup looking B/T FM radio broadcaster, tethered by a 3.5mm wire. This piggy back set up works good as I don't have B/T on my older Radio for my Toyota Echo. I'm thinking of getting one of the after-market AUX kits for B/T cost $100 last I checked, but gotta take the radio out, 6 screws, unplug 3 switch wires, a panel on the dash to get to it ... ugh.

https://www.amazon.com/Docooler-Blue...YT43W3F6Y69HDH

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by Johnnydollar2; 06-12-2018 at 7:44 PM..