• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

How to Change Display TG# to Name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robert8450

How can I change the display screen to show something more useful (such as site name, location, etc of the traffic) instead of simply talk group IP numbers as seen in the attached photo?

Attachments

• IMG_3456.jpg
    IMG_3456.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 503

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Unication G4/G5 tag - name

In step #4 tab in the PPS. There's a huge "help" section right there too on the right
You just type it in under Group-Alias - where the yellow line shows. Far left of where you put in the talk-groups

Last edited by a moderator:

robert8450

I have 15 systems under tab 2 and they are all in one group alias for tab 4.
each system has several talk groups. I am trying to figure out how to label or identify each of the talk groups when they come in.

Under one of those above mentioned "15 systems", the first one is labeled as "multi-site" and it includes all of the other 14 systems.

in tab 5 of the PPS software, I have one tab set to "monitor" the multi-site system.. This is a my "all traffic" knob setting and when talk groups show up - which is quite often because there are 14 systems being monitored... When traffic is being displayed, it only shows as indicated in my above attached image. I'd like to know the site name and talk group name fie each item that shows up.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Wait, maybe im confused on what your saying.
Are you monitoring 15 systems or 1 system with 15 sites?
The way your describing it sounds like its 1 System with 15 sites.

FYI, this device can only monitor 1 System at a time. So your confusing systems with sites. The knob with all traffic is monitoring 1 system with 14 sites. not 14 systems.
With that being said look at the front of your pager, when there is no traffic being passed at the bottom it should show RFSS/Site:x/x That right there will tell you what Site your picking up traffic on.

Now if you want to put a label with each TG ID you need to do that in Tab 4
If you have not created a label in Tab 4 it will show the TGID at the top and either P25T OR the Radio ID of the person talking.

robert8450

correct. I suppose I should not have mentioned that I have 14 different systems listed.. I mean I do, and I can set a few of them to a knob position, but mostly, I keep the pager on knob 1 position which is configured as 1 system with all of 14 sites under one system.

Then I have that system set to MONITOR (not scan) all of those sites for traffic in that system. This is a great way for me to not miss anything.

Each site has many talk groups and I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to identify them with something other than some numbers on the screen when they show up.

It sounds like what you're saying is that I will have to create hundreds of labeled talk groups in tab 4 for each talk group - and then hold my breath that I didn't miss any or forget some or god forbid new ones show up? That just doesn't seem practical or good practice if I'm trying not to miss anything.

For example, if I set up (let's say) 50 talk groups with them identified in tab 4 and I am SCANNING those... Then what happens when there is a specific "Event" - let's say a robbery and a certain site switches to an event channel that I have not programmed,... Obviously I'll miss the traffic. FYI - there are hundreds if not thousands of TGs in my areas and that is provided that news ones don't show up as more municipalities move over to P25 so there has to be a better way, right?

Granted I'm very new to trying to setup and understand this scanner but so far, the "monitor" function of a site or multiple sites under one system seems to be the best way to miss anything. I just wonder if they can be identified other than a number when doing it this way.

troymail

Silent Key
Then I have that system set to MONITOR (not scan) all of those sites for traffic in that system. This is a great way for me to not miss anything.

The radio will only display the alpha tags/labels of the talkgroups that you have included in that zone/knob configuration. The "Group Setting" rows in the PPS D4 are only pick lists for further programming. Remember, you can have (many) more than one talkgroup with the same TGID (i.e. "1", "5320", etc.) in the group pick list - you must pair up the specific group(ID) row with the system you are programming otherwise the radio doesn't know which TGID "1" or "5320" is currently active.

In D5 you set the "Receiving Mode" for that zone/knob - for example - "Trunking TG-Scan" or "Trunking TG-Monitor".

Trunking TG-Monitor tells the radio to treat that knob as a "wildcard" for any/all talkgroups detected active on that control channel. There are lots of reasons to do this - and some not so good reasons (as you will/have learned).

To monitor specific talkgroups on a system/control channel, use "Trunking TG-Scan" instead. For this you must specify the specific talkgroups you want to monitor. Also, when you do, you will see talkgroup labels/alpha tags for every voice message.

As far as the radio IDs, occasionally, the radio ID is simply missed in the transmission and the radio will only display "P25T". Some folks see this as a bug - Idunno. I don't see it as that critical unless you have dozens to hundreds of radio IDs and their users "memorized" since you can't assign labels to the radio IDs for automatic display.

Personally, I'm just happy to have a radio that receives simulcast systems with ease!

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
correct. I suppose I should not have mentioned that I have 14 different systems listed.. I mean I do, and I can set a few of them to a knob position, but mostly, I keep the pager on knob 1 position which is configured as 1 system with all of 14 sites under one system.

Each site has many talk groups and I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to identify them with something other than some numbers on the screen when they show up.

It sounds like what you're saying is that I will have to create hundreds of labeled talk groups in tab 4 for each talk group - and then hold my breath that I didn't miss any or forget some or god forbid new ones show up? That just doesn't seem practical or good practice if I'm trying not to miss anything.

For example, if I set up (let's say) 50 talk groups with them identified in tab 4 and I am SCANNING those... Then what happens when there is a specific "Event" - let's say a robbery and a certain site switches to an event channel that I have not programmed,... Obviously I'll miss the traffic. FYI - there are hundreds if not thousands of TGs in my areas and that is provided that news ones don't show up as more municipalities move over to P25 so there has to be a better way, right?

Granted I'm very new to trying to setup and understand this scanner but so far, the "monitor" function of a site or multiple sites under one system seems to be the best way to miss anything. I just wonder if they can be identified other than a number when doing it this way.

Your pager is ONLY passing traffic from the site its monitoring. Its not scanning sites. Once it locks onto a site it stays there.
Your site is only passing traffic that has a talk group affiliated with it and is allowed to pass traffic from the system to that site.
If your on a large wide area system it may not pass all traffic on the entire system.
I dont even know what system it is.
This is not a scanner. Its a public safety pager first and foremost. We scanner people are programming it in ways to make it simulate being a scanner.
FYI, Talk groups show up as numbers on your screen because thats what they are. On the system its a number. Not a name. If you want to name a talk group you have that option in the software. Otherwise by default its a number. The older the system is the less likely "new" talk groups show up.
Once a system has been up a year or so people have done a great job mapping and naming the talk groups.
If you want to set this thing up to do what you want it to do put some work into it. Create zones with Fire, Police, Traffic, what ever you want as its your device, or what ever you dont want.

robert8450

...As far as the radio IDs, occasionally, the radio ID is simply missed in the transmission and the radio will only display "P25T". Some folks see this as a bug - Idunno. I don't see it as that critical unless you have dozens to hundreds of radio IDs and their users "memorized" since you can't assign labels to the radio IDs for automatic display.

Personally, I'm just happy to have a radio that receives simulcast systems with ease!

Ok thank you Troy - that makes sense and yes I agree too - it's not a problem or bug as far as I can tell...

OK SO NOW back to naming / identifying sites and talk groups....

I'm still a little confused. Is it possible to "TG Monitor" sites and TGs (and have the sites & TGs identified) ...if they are listed / identified in D4 - or are you saying that they can only be identified and listed properly if Tab D5 is set to "TG Scan" and the previously picked out sites and TGs are selected ?

troymail

Silent Key
Ok thank you Troy - that makes sense and yes I agree too - it's not a problem or bug as far as I can tell...

OK SO NOW back to naming / identifying sites and talk groups....

I'm still a little confused. Is it possible to "TG Monitor" sites and TGs (and have the sites & TGs identified) ...if they are listed / identified in D4 - or are you saying that they can only be identified and listed properly if Tab D5 is set to "TG Scan" and the previously picked out sites and TGs are selected ?

The "Group ID Settings" (talkgroup records) in D4 is simply a table of information that creates a "pick list" for you to use in D5.

D4 alone does nothing in terms of receiving anything until you build something in D5.

If you set a knob position in D5 to "TG-Scan", you will only hear (and see) the talkgroups that you "pick" from the left pane and put into the right pane on that screen.

If you set that exact same knob position to "TG-Monitor" ("wildcard" or "ID Search" in scanner terms), you'll hear anything and everything that is active on that control channel (including potentially encrypted gibberish) but only those specific TG entries that you've assigned (moved from left to right) for that knob will appear with names/labels/alpha tags. Anything else that is found in "monitor mode" will only display the TGID (with no label).

Again - remember - the list on D4 can have 1 to any number of records where the TGID is - for example - 12345. You can have 5 different talkgroups with TGIDs of 12345 in D4 with labels which could be for say, System A, B, X, Y, and Z. Unfortunately, the entries in D4 have no connection to a "system" or "site" on that screen/table (I really wish it did for so many reasons) so there isn't any way for the radio to know if the 12345 it is receiving right now is for system A, B, X, Y, or Z....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.