• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

programming question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lsh1885

I purchased a G4 on Monday it arrived on Thursday I am trying to program 3 different systems on different knobs, but when I load up a second system the one that was already in the radio doesn't work anymore it says "Zone 1 not programmed". I know you can't listen to more than one system at a time but I thought you could program more than one at a time on different knobs?

Secondly the G4 works as good as advertised I have not heard one garbled transmission yet. It is so refreshing!

troymail

Silent Key
I purchased a G4 on Monday it arrived on Thursday I am trying to program 3 different systems on different knobs, but when I load up a second system the one that was already in the radio doesn't work anymore it says "Zone 1 not programmed". I know you can't listen to more than one system at a time but I thought you could program more than one at a time on different knobs?

Secondly the G4 works as good as advertised I have not heard one garbled transmission yet. It is so refreshing!

I'd be happy to take a look at your programming. Can you export, zip and post your profile?

As an option, I've been helping other folks using TeamViewer (free download)...

lsh1885

I guess the outcome is, I cannot figure out how to have more than one system in a profile. I guess for the time being I will have to be happy with what I have.

lsh1885

I can't get it to open it says unsupported file. If you want go take a look at it though TeamViewer go ahead. Thanks for your help.

mdsxfire

EDBM
Figured id post here instead of making a new thread.
All of my systems with defined WACN/SYSID/RFSSID/SITEID/Control channels are working great. I setup NJICS to do a full spectrum scan, wild carded the rfss and site id’s enabled full spectrum scan with 2 sets of searches one for the 700 one for the 800 WACN and sysid are set to what RR has them(wich works for the other knob with a specific site programmed). I have just the default one frequency programmed in the CC list is that my problem.
Screen shots attached
b0944a8e97d030f7458802e6d6571441.jpg
0dd30fc6144a7b4b07bf8e77eb0d4b75.jpg
4546cd97dd8d91b39236ad260bdf9996.jpg
380f93a12449e85fac8ded2cfcd19a41.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
d582cce5017adec165678ea9d3fc27f5.jpg

troymail

Silent Key
I have just the default one frequency programmed in the CC list is that my problem

Yup - that would be a problem unless the system is extremely stable on the primary control channel but even then, chances are that are some point, the CC frequency will change for one reason or another. Some systems treat every frequency as a potential control channel frequency and will even perform regular rotation through them over time.

You should probably at least ALL of the know control channel frequencies for a given site. Even better, program all site frequencies for that site.

Full Spectrum Scan will work but it will take more time to start searching for a frequency in a range than looking through the list of known frequencies for the site to recover.

I'd only rely on FSS for two things:

• a complete fallback in the event that the known site frequencies change in some way (more added, frequencies swapped out, etc.) - rare but it could happen.

• total wildcard search looking for unknown systems - downside here is if you are in an area with lots of systems, the radio will lock onto a CC pretty quickly - probably for something that is "known" and then you can't get it to "move along"

mdsxfire

EDBM
So my next question is say I’m driving through New Jersey from top to bottom on the turnpike and want to have the pager change from site to site on my way south do I have to put control channels from each site in, there are a bunch
3380327b3428f55d61b42aeacc4c0f77.jpg

Trying to figure this out for my yearly road trip to Florida as I also was trying to set NC Viper up

troymail

Silent Key
As we've discussed before, programming the Unication for a road trip is far from easy.... it can be done but it will be time consuming and difficult.

You must remember that:

• if you program many sites (or wildcards site data and/or FSS) along the route, the radio will always choose a site for you - and it may not be the one you want for where you are - it could (will likely) be the one behind you as you go and it could even be a site no where near you.

• consider that along the route, the talkgroups are likely to change as you travel through counties or regions/districts and there is a limit on how many talkgroups can be placed into a single knob.

Putting the radio into FSS and TS-Monitor mode - using system parms (WACN, SysID and/or even RFSS with wildcard Site FF) - could work but still with two problems - (a) no TG alpha tags and (b) no encryption muting - it can get ugly depending upon where you are and how busy the system is and how much encryption is present. Even doing this, you'll want a different zone/knob for each system along the route.

I've done some "road trip" programming - both trying monitor mode and wildcards as well as route specific zone/knob. Each knob contained a specific system site and talkgroups configured based on the county I was passing through. As I crossed the county lines along the drive, I'd switch zones. This works if you know the area well and what you might hear on which sites along the route but not so well if you don't. And, again, extremely tedious and time consuming to do this level of detailed programming for a trip where you are only in an area for < 1 hour maybe twice over a week for the trip.

These days, I do less programming like this for the drive and focus more on where I'll be spending at least a day - it's much more useful and worthwhile....

mdsxfire

EDBM
As we've discussed before, programming the Unication for a road trip is far from easy.... it can be done but it will be time consuming and difficult.

You must remember that:

• if you program many sites (or wildcards site data and/or FSS) along the route, the radio will always choose a site for you - and it may not be the one you want for where you are - it could (will likely) be the one behind you as you go and it could even be a site no where near you.

• consider that along the route, the talkgroups are likely to change as you travel through counties or regions/districts and there is a limit on how many talkgroups can be placed into a single knob.

Putting the radio into FSS and TS-Monitor mode - using system parms (WACN, SysID and/or even RFSS with wildcard Site FF) - could work but still with two problems - (a) no TG alpha tags and (b) no encryption muting - it can get ugly depending upon where you are and how busy the system is and how much encryption is present. Even doing this, you'll want a different zone/knob for each system along the route.

I've done some "road trip" programming - both trying monitor mode and wildcards as well as route specific zone/knob. Each knob contained a specific system site and talkgroups configured based on the county I was passing through. As I crossed the county lines along the drive, I'd switch zones. This works if you know the area well and what you might hear on which sites along the route but not so well if you don't. And, again, extremely tedious and time consuming to do this level of detailed programming for a trip where you are only in an area for < 1 hour maybe twice over a week for the trip.

These days, I do less programming like this for the drive and focus more on where I'll be spending at least a day - it's much more useful and worthwhile....

Yeah that sounds about right. We will be in Florida for about 2.5 weeks when we go and I have orange and Osceola counties all programmed and ready to go so I’ll prob just stick with that.
Thank you

madpuma13

Is there a way to lock or passcode the pager (not the pps) so it can’t be programmed without the password, in case it’s stolen?

Yes, it's under tab number 8 in the pps.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

mdsxfire

EDBM
Next question
Has anyone tried using the color schemes for individual TGs? I had my FDs one color then the rest of my towns another color and then all other TGs no color. When other towns are busy back and forth I have no issue with the beginning of the message being cutoff ( all have the same voice buffering option set) but as soon as my FD talks it shows the TG and the color but no audio comes through for about 2 seconds. It only seems to happen on the TGs with colors set.
My simple fix was to just get rid of all colors as I don’t really need them just thought it was cool and all is well, just wanted to see if anyone else noticed this?

Status
Not open for further replies.