• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Race to the Finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

mule1075

Feed Provider
I would guess the Unication upgrade will be out 1st because they stated it will be released at the end of Q1. The Uniden info says it will be released in Q2 so my guess is the Unication unless something goes wrong.

stevez97

Premium Subscriber
I hope they invest in some better build quality of at least the case. Personally, I don't want to own a $700 radio that feels like it has the build quality of a $39.00 Walmart FRS radio.

Come on Uniden............step up your game!

mule1075

Feed Provider
I hope they invest in some better build quality of at least the case. Personally, I don't want to own a $700 radio that feels like it has the build quality of a $39.00 Walmart FRS radio.

Come on Uniden............step up your game!
So what does this have to do with your thoughts on what gets released 1st?

kinglou0

I believe the pressure is on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From who?

Public safety agencies sound like they've been getting taken care via "beta testing" and nobody who's serious about monitoring complex trunked systems believes anything Uniden says about their products (I might be wrong about the SDS100 but I really doubt it given the missing discussion about the receiver architecture).

Only pressure I can see is from their dealers who've been selling pre-orders but even that is pressure on the dealer and not Unication themselves. Ray's has my money and has had it for a while now. They're in a sticky situation because unlike typical pre-orders where you put down a small deposit, Ray's charged the entire amount for the unit upfront.

Not a big deal for me since I like knowing I have it paid for already but I can imagine that Ray's and other dealers are going to be getting angry phone calls on April 2nd demanding refunds and free stuff.

Unication, don't piss away all the goodwill you've built in up the listening community. A lot of people want to see you succeed and are eager to continue spreading the word about your excellent products.

kinglou0

If a mod wants to delete this unnecessary rant, please feel free to.

Last edited:

ecarvalho

Id still keep my G5. I can sell the G4 to help me get the SDS100 but I would compare it with the G5 side by side on simulcast as I do have a nasty simulcast system here only the G5 /4 handles well.
In the SDS100 fails I’ll return it.
At any rate I’ll be OK.

mdsxfire

EDBM
I can definitely see the pressure ending on the dealers, unication hasn’t really replied to anything on their FB page besides “before end q1” and complete silence here. The dealers will be the one come April 1 when no one has their pre order taking the emails and calls.
As for uniden I would have to see someone really field test the new unit under a bunch of conditions before I would even think about buying it. As bad as the wait has been for phase 2 is, I wouldn’t have pre ordered if I didn’t think it worth the wait

jmontes77029

From who?

Public safety agencies sound like they've been getting taken care via "beta testing" and nobody who's serious about monitoring complex trunked systems believes anything Uniden says about their products (I might be wrong about the SDS100 but I really doubt it given the missing discussion about the receiver architecture).

Only pressure I can see is from their dealers who've been selling pre-orders but even that is pressure on the dealer and not Unication themselves. Ray's has my money and has had it for a while now. They're in a sticky situation because unlike typical pre-orders where you put down a small deposit, Ray's charged the entire amount for the unit upfront.

Not a big deal for me since I like knowing I have it paid for already but I can imagine that Ray's and other dealers are going to be getting angry phone calls on April 2nd demanding refunds and free stuff.

Unication, don't piss away all the goodwill you've built in up the listening community. A lot of people want to see you succeed and are eager to continue spreading the word about your excellent products.

The pressure is on to start releasing the ore orders

boatbod

Id still keep my G5. I can sell the G4 to help me get the SDS100 but I would compare it with the G5 side by side on simulcast as I do have a nasty simulcast system here only the G5 /4 handles well.
In the SDS100 fails I’ll return it.
At any rate I’ll be OK.

To receive simulcast cleanly you basically just need a good CQPSK decoder. It's not rocket science - the sdr folks solved this long ago. No reason Uniden shouldn't be able to make a reasonable product if they turn their mind to it. I assume Unication already cracked that nut in their existing G4/G5 firmware.

ecarvalho

To receive simulcast cleanly you basically just need a good CQPSK decoder. It's not rocket science - the sdr folks solved this long ago. No reason Uniden shouldn't be able to make a reasonable product if they turn their mind to it. I assume Unication already cracked that nut in their existing G4/G5 firmware.

I agree. I ran a few OP25 experiments in the past. Decoding was great!
Just not very portable and requires a dedicated VM or physical machine. It’s getting there with Raspberry Pi’s now.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Unication had LSM figured out years ago. Remember they started off as a pager company, which they still are. Pagers use the same frequency with high power transmitters all over the place and often with overlapping coverage so they had to get that fixed a long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.