RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Unication Forum

Unication Forum - Forum for discussion of Unication products.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-29-2018, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg4pbd View Post
So then there are two issues? Simultaneous channel grants and patched talkgroups?

Either way it's frustrating. My sole reason for getting the G5 was to overcome the simulcast distortion issue with my scanners. The CMPD division where I live is patched 75% of the time with a neighboring dvision, which means I have this problem 75% of the time.

Right now my '436 with the new firmware is doing a better job for me than the G5. The simulcast performance seems to have improved on that radio with the new firmware.

Does anyone have the ability to diagnose the TG that are patched to see what the difference data wise is between a patched TG and a normal one? Also whoever has this issue have it diagnostics on ur pager to keep sending them to unication

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored links
Old 03-29-2018, 7:34 AM

It's frustrating indeed. I think what's going on with the patched talkgroups is there's probably simultaneous channel grants between the talkgroup you have programmed and another talkgroup that's patched to it.

Here's something you can try, if you haven't done so already, try programming those knob positions with the patched talkgroups in as priority TG scan instead of non-priority TG scan and see if that helps. I haven't had the chance to try this yet.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSsignal16 View Post
It's frustrating indeed. I think what's going on with the patched talkgroups is there's probably simultaneous channel grants between the talkgroup you have programmed and another talkgroup that's patched to it.

Here's something you can try, if you haven't done so already, try programming those knob positions with the patched talkgroups in as priority TG scan instead of non-priority TG scan and see if that helps. I haven't had the chance to try this yet.

Thatís a great point. If TG1 is patched to TG2 as soon as a unit keys on either one the other talk group is also going to start transmitting within fractions of a second

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2018, 7:05 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I thought I'd blow the dust off this thread and see if anyone using the P2 versions has experienced anything similar, with the patched talkgroup/signal drop. This issue isn't going away, and it's becoming more and more frustrating, as the primary PD division I'm trying to monitor is most often patched with a neighboring division. I'm hoping that with the P2 firmware drop there will be a firmware update for those of us who don't need P2 but need this issue resolved.

After many weeks of messing with this and watching the behavior the radio drops the signal when the channel grant drops, and it takes 4-5 seconds to regain signal. This only happens for me on patched talkgroups.
Old 04-27-2018, 6:12 PM

I just got my G5 back with the phase 2 upgrade and so far I have not seen any signal drops on a system that I used to see it occur often before the upgrade. It uses patches all the time and is a busy phase 1 system. On top of that as many have noted in other threads the audio has significantly improved overall. I'm extremely happy with these improvements on top of the added Phase 2 capability! Great job to unication for their hard work and making this happen. Money well spent!
Sponsored links
Old 04-27-2018, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSsignal16 View Post
I just got my G5 back with the phase 2 upgrade and so far I have not seen any signal drops on a system that I used to see it occur often before the upgrade. It uses patches all the time and is a busy phase 1 system. On top of that as many have noted in other threads the audio has significantly improved overall. I'm extremely happy with these improvements on top of the added Phase 2 capability! Great job to unication for their hard work and making this happen. Money well spent!
+1
Thanks for the follow up post in this.
100% agree. Iím so impressed at how good it is with this FW . , the radio is now everything I hoped it would be. (naturally would like to see the scanner-head enhancements noted in the forums ad nauseam) But wow. . weak signal performance, no missed transmissions, and stellar audio have me wondering if I Ďneedí a 3rd unit!
Old 05-09-2018, 1:01 PM

I don't need P2 right now and so I'm not buying the update. However, I would be very interested in getting a firmware update that fixes the issue of missed transmissions. I miss probably 10 or so a day and it's extremely frustrating. Has anyone heard when we might see a firmware update?
Old 05-09-2018, 2:04 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

wow 10 a day.. are they patched TG as others have mentioned?
is the system super busy and its missing channel grants?
everybodys situation is unique .
Old 05-09-2018, 2:49 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

In my case, I'm listening to a busy system, and the division I normally monitor is often patched with a neighboring division. When the talkgroup is patched, and a mobile unit unkeys, if the channel drops before a reply I'm guaranteed there will be a four second period during which the signal drops to 0, RSSI jumps to over 130, and I won't hear any reply for four seconds. This will occur multiple times in a short period when things are busy. It's very predictable.

I'm beginning to get frustrated with this issue. I've emailed Unication and no response. I have no need for Phase 2, but it looks like I'm going to have to go through paying for an upgrade I don't need, hoping that it will resolve the problem.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmSixNine View Post
wow 10 a day.. are they patched TG as others have mentioned?
is the system super busy and its missing channel grants?
everybodys situation is unique .
It's a fairly busy system, but I wouldn't say super busy. (It's the Fort Worth Regional Radio System, and I'm listening to Site 3. I'm sure Unication can monitor the same system since I'm in their area.) No patched TGs.

I have sent diagnostic information to David a couple of times, but I've never heard back. I'm not sure if it's already fixed in the latest update, if they're looking to fix it later, or if they even acknowledge an issue.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimco View Post
No patched TGs.
Let me clarify. I don't think there are any patched TGs, but I'm not entirely sure how to know for sure.
Old 05-17-2018, 5:56 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Received my G5 back today, from the Ph2 upgrade. First impressions are that the issue with drops following mobile tx's on a patched talkgroup is still there, but instead of a 4-5 second drop in signal it's less than a second. It's much better. I'm comparing side by side with an older HP1 on a yagi, that has almost perfect reception on this system. No longer missing significant parts of transmissions.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Wayne county NC vhf p25

Does anyone know how to program Wayne county NC p25 vhf system in G5?
Old 06-01-2018, 2:06 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfire918 View Post
Maybe ask that in a separate thread - the topic of this thread is missed transmissions.
Old 06-01-2018, 2:08 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfire918 View Post
Assuming you have a VHF version G5, it should be straight forward. It's a P25 Ph1 system. You can post in the NC forum if you want additional information as I have no first-hand information. There are two simulcast sites, and I don't know what the distinction is between the two.
Old 06-01-2018, 2:10 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

And now that this thread is awake.... I can say after a few weeks now with the Ph2 update, no issues with missed transmissions. Any signal drop I'm seeing now is so brief as to not be an issue. Very happy with the radio again.
Old 06-07-2018, 7:30 AM

I sure hope there's a firmware update that fixes this for those of us who don't need P2.