• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G5 - still missing tx's

Status
Not open for further replies.

kg4pbd

I know there has been discussion about this, but I haven't heard anything in awhile. I finally took some time to try and understand what is going on with this radio. I'm on a knob position with one talkgroup on the Charlotte UASI system, no priority or multi-select enabled. A transmission will come over just fine, but within seconds of the transmission ending, the RSSI value will jump up to over 130, the reception bars disappear, and any follow up reply will be cut off.

The most common occurrence appears to be late entry to a conversation, due to this issue.

I've re-installed the last firmware, and reloaded the programming, no change.

I'm hoping this is something Unification is aware of, and working to resolve. Right now my Uniden scanners do a better job on this system, granted they have to be on a yagi to work, which is the whole reason I bought a Unication.

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
A transmission will come over just fine, but within seconds of the transmission ending, the RSSI value will jump up to over 130, the reception bars disappear, and any follow up reply will be cut off.

I am embarrassed to ask on the RSSI i dont recall my g4 or g5 every displaying that value?

I just went over the PPS is there a setting I am missing to display RSSI?

Thanks
embarrassed Jeff

this is the answer i was told
In the PPS you will have to check mark the DIAGNOSTICS

Then on the G4 in the menu button scroll down all the way and Diagnostics will be there, click on that and RSSI will show up.

Last edited:

kg4pbd

Are you on a busy system?
Can you provide a link and a little info like what site your on when this happens.

Also not sure how you have not heard about this in a while, it was brought up a few days ago in this thread.

https://forums.radioreference.com/unication-forum/367524-g4-random-reception-dropouts.html

I did see that, didn't really answer any questions though. I did try re-installing the last firmware, but no change.

It is a busy system, but I don't know why that would impact anything. The knob position has just one talkgroup. This is a link to the system, and I'm on site 1
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6561

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
If its happening to more devices on busy systems and not to people on slower systems it could be an issue with the processor not being able to keep up with the channel grants.
I recall a thread where a user was traveling and his unit got bogged down and became super slow.
Im grasping at straws but it appears some versions of firmware handle that issue better then others so it could be as simple as a bug in software.

kg4pbd

I’ve been able to further identify the issue. It seems to occur following transmissions on a patched talkgroup. It’s not happening, or at least I haven’t seen it happen on a non-patched talkgroup.

When it does happen it is very consistent, with the signal drop lasting about five seconds.

mdsxfire

EDBM
I’ve been able to further identify the issue. It seems to occur following transmissions on a patched talkgroup. It’s not happening, or at least I haven’t seen it happen on a non-patched talkgroup.

When it does happen it is very consistent, with the signal drop lasting about five seconds.

Did you try flashing to the firmware before the latest, in the other post the OP said his is working fine now with the older version, just and idea till the next release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Patched TG, interesting find. The two systems im primarily monitoring dont (or extremely rare) use patched TGs.

kg4pbd

Did you try flashing to the firmware before the latest, in the other post the OP said his is working fine now with the older version, just and idea till the next release.

I don't have the previous firmware release. Anyone know where I can get my hands on it?

mdsxfire

EDBM
Don’t have my pager yet but have been tweaking my profile for months based on what I’ve read here and had all my knobs set to enable voice buffering but never read what it does. Sounds like it could cause the missed tx issues.
When someone having this issue changes this please let us know what happens.
Tks

kg4pbd

Be sure voice buffering is disabled on non alerting Knob positions.

I did have voice buffering enabled. I turned that off in PPS, and re-programmed. It did solve the issue I'm having with the RSSI jump/loss of signal following a transmission, however I'm still getting clipped transmissions, where the first second is cut off. It's an improvement though!

Thanks,

kg4pbd

I spoke to soon. It’s still doing the same thing. Voice buffering is disabled. And it is still only happening on a patched talkgroup. Non-patched are fine. Following a transmission on the talkgroup the RSSI spikes and it drops the reception bars for five seconds.

mdsxfire

EDBM
I spoke to soon. It’s still doing the same thing. Voice buffering is disabled. And it is still only happening on a patched talkgroup. Non-patched are fine. Following a transmission on the talkgroup the RSSI spikes and it drops the reception bars for five seconds.

Hopefully when the phase 2 firmware finally drops a simultaneous patch will drop to address these issues. Or the phase 2 firmware will be free for everyone but also address these issues that have come up. Time will tell very soon

kg4pbd

Hopefully when the phase 2 firmware finally drops a simultaneous patch will drop to address these issues. Or the phase 2 firmware will be free for everyone but also address these issues that have come up. Time will tell very soon

I spent some time over the weekend trying to verify this issue. I confirmed which talkgroups are patched in Unitrunker first. When I cycle through those talkgroups I get the signal drop issue. If I'm on a non-patched talkgroup I don't get the signal drop. The issue occurs when I"m on a knob position with just the one talkgroup, and if I'm on a knob position with multiple talkgroups.

It also appears that rebooting the radio can provide some improvement, but it is temporary.

And just to confirm, voice buffering is off on all talkgroups.

I'm hoping Unication is aware of this and is working to resolve this in the next firmware update.

In the meantime, if anyone has the previous firmware they can send me please let me know. I'd like to verify the issue doesn't occur with that firmware.

mdsxfire

EDBM
I spent some time over the weekend trying to verify this issue. I confirmed which talkgroups are patched in Unitrunker first. When I cycle through those talkgroups I get the signal drop issue. If I'm on a non-patched talkgroup I don't get the signal drop. The issue occurs when I"m on a knob position with just the one talkgroup, and if I'm on a knob position with multiple talkgroups.

It also appears that rebooting the radio can provide some improvement, but it is temporary.

I'm hoping Unication is aware of this and is working to resolve this in the next firmware update.

In the meantime, if anyone has the previous firmware they can send me please let me know. I'd like to verify the issue doesn't occur with that firmware.

Does anyone know what the difference would be in a patched TG, I would think that whatever frequency/system etc is being patched into the p25 TG would just be seen as a regular TG, obviously this is not the case. Does a unit ID come through on the patched TG, if not maybe it’s a lack of data coming through, or lack of an end of transmission signal. Just throwing ideas out. Hopefully someone at unication sees this and can troubleshoot what’s going on.

JSsignal16

Premium Subscriber

Here's something you can try that has helped me to minimize this occurrence. If you have any conventional channels programmed in your G5, try switching to one of them and then turn off your G5 and turn it back on. Then let it sit on that conventional channel for like 30 seconds and then switch to a trunk system. For me this seems to help a lot. I don't see the drops nearly as often as before. I do still see them when I'm scanning a busy system. I haven't seen any signal drops as of yet when I'm on one talkgroup patched or no patch.

Jimco

I have this same issue and I have provided a couple of diagnostic logs to David. I never heard back (and didn't really expect to), but I hope that my logs helped to isolate a possible cause.

JSsignal16

Premium Subscriber
So I think I figured out a likely cause for signal drop and missing transmissions which I've posted about in another thread here https://forums.radioreference.com/unication-forum/367524-g4-random-reception-dropouts.html I'm very confident that this occurs when two or more talkgroups in a non-priorty scan list get channel granst simultaneously. The radio can't figure out which talkgroup to go to, so it then disconnects from the system for like 5 Seconds. I'm pretty sure if you're scanning only one talkgroup and it does this it's likely a patched talkgroup. I have not been able to replicate this when scanning one talkgroup that's not patched.

kg4pbd

So I think I figured out a likely cause for signal drop and missing transmissions which I've posted about in another thread here https://forums.radioreference.com/unication-forum/367524-g4-random-reception-dropouts.html I'm very confident that this occurs when two or more talkgroups in a non-priorty scan list get channel granst simultaneously. The radio can't figure out which talkgroup to go to, so it then disconnects from the system for like 5 Seconds. I'm pretty sure if you're scanning only one talkgroup and it does this it's likely a patched talkgroup. I have not been able to replicate this when scanning one talkgroup that's not patched.

So then there are two issues? Simultaneous channel grants and patched talkgroups?

Either way it's frustrating. My sole reason for getting the G5 was to overcome the simulcast distortion issue with my scanners. The CMPD division where I live is patched 75% of the time with a neighboring dvision, which means I have this problem 75% of the time.

Right now my '436 with the new firmware is doing a better job for me than the G5. The simulcast performance seems to have improved on that radio with the new firmware.

Status
Not open for further replies.