• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G5 freezes up

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
I've had three or so incidents recently where my G5 will seemingly freeze or lock up. The display will not time out and it will not hear any transmissions.

When I turn the pager off, it takes up to two minutes to finally power down.

When I turn it back on, the G5 is doing what appears to be a reboot (the status bar at the bottom comes up like when you have finished updating a profile).

I have the latest firmware upgrade and I'm using the beta PPS that was released with it. Anyone have any ideas?

KB4SHP

Feed Provider
Hello
Does it show a certain talk group mine does it from time to time

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
G5 Freezes up?

If your battery is the original one, it may be going out. Mine lasted more than 10 months and then strange things started happening like that. Also anytime I turned it off overnight? it would do the hard reboot thing with the little dots at the bottom like it had done a firmware update upon starting the next time. Then the battery wasn't holding charges more than a few hours. So bought a new one. A few days later after tossing that battery in a drawer? I opened it up to see the battery had SWELLED up and burst through it's black casing to the point the white pack of (whatever) was visible inside. I tossed it in a bag with a few old batteries and old PC batteries to dispose of over at Battery's and Bulbs store. This new battery is a Lithium ION type. Original for my G5 was Lithium POLYMER. A few others have discussed this "swelling" with batteries last week in the Unication forums. So if you have a different battery? or could test it somehow, it could be that it's going out on you. If not, I'd just re-flash the firmware and give that a try.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
If your battery is the original one, it may be going out. Mine lasted more than 10 months and then strange things started happening like that.

That might be the problem, though I've only had the G5 for three or four months. I'll keep an eye on it and order a new one, just in case.

I may also re-flash the firmware though I had no problem when I did the last upgrade.

Thanks.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
I am going to resurrect this thread as, even after having the G5 replaced, I am having pretty much the same problem.

My G5 will periodically freeze up. Since the replacement I have not had to remove the battery to get it to shut down and restart.

I have one of their G5 low UHF (380-430 MHz) model (which is no longer listed in their brochure for sale). Which now makes me wonder if there might be some issue with that particular model.

Most of the time when the radio freezes is while I have it attached to my belt and using the Bluetooth to listen. When it does freeze, the following occurs:
1. The display will not time out and continues to display the information for the last knob position. There is no reception, even if there is activity on the channels in that knob position.
2. When I turn the G5 off, the unit continues to display the last knob position text
3. After 30-60 seconds, the pager goes to the 'charging' (large battery icon) displays (even though it is not being charged) and all three top LEDs display as red.
4. Another 30 or so seconds, the pager finally shuts down and the red LEDs may or may not go off.
5. Turning the G5 back on, the unit does the reboot.

My question is if this is happening to anyone else, especially if they have the low UHF model. I can see where one unit might have a problem, but two with the same problem is suspicious. A second minor question is if anyone knows if Unication has discontinued the model I have.

Thanks

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Has it ever happened when not using Bluetooth, to rule that out?

Yes, occasionally I'll have it sitting just running. On a couple of occasions, the Bluetooth may have been on but not connected. I need to see if it locks while no headphone is attached. Good thought. Thanks

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
FYI, all of the model numbers changed when they went to Phase 2.
Since your unit was pre phase 2 that model number wont be listed as current.
In fact, sending it back for the phase 2 update also changed the internal model number to their new numbering structure to indicate its a Phase 2 unit.
At least thats how i understand it.

My 2 G4 units are more stable now with the Phase 2 firmware in them.

troymail

Silent Key
I have a recently upgraded Phase 2 UHF model and haven't seen any lock-up issues. The radio is typically on 24/7...

I will say that I've seen issues in the past where, for reasons unknown specifically to me, my G4 (which I later sold/traded out for a G5) did act up (badly) when I had a very large profile installed that contained many systems and sites. I believe this was also in conjunction with use on one or more very busy systems.

However, that was last summer and 3-4 firmware versions ago....

I do occasionally see some sluggish behavior in the display but nothing compared to the way that G4 worked last summer.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
FYI, all of the model numbers changed when they went to Phase 2.
Since your unit was pre phase 2 that model number wont be listed as current.
In fact, sending it back for the phase 2 update also changed the internal model number to their new numbering structure to indicate its a Phase 2 unit.
At least thats how i understand it.

My replacement unit has been upgraded to Phase 2 and is doing pretty much what my pre Phase 2 unit did.

Model number changes I after the upgrade I understand what my comment is referring to is there is no longer a model of the G5 in the current brochure with a UHF 380-420 MHz option. The only UHF shown now on the US site is 441-470MHz.

radio3353

Did you happen to be connecting or disconnecting the USB charger cable when the radio was on? That happened to me once. I don't recall if I was connecting or disconnecting the charger when my G4 was on, but it did freeze up. It cleared itself after a little while.

Status
Not open for further replies.