RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Unication Forum

Unication Forum - Forum for discussion of Unication products.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2018, 8:38 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

So that it's not lost here, I believe what we were talking about is non-encrypted transmissions coming through SOUNDING encrypted. I've verified many times that this does in fact happen, it's not just someone switching encryption, it's a error on the part of the G4.
Sponsored links
Old 07-01-2018, 12:33 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I get these sounds at times when I am on the boarder of out-of-range.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:19 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by W8RMH View Post
I get these sounds at times when I am on the boarder of out-of-range.
Most "odd sounds" that I get are on the fringes as you are saying. Strangely, the "encrypted sounding" non-encrypted transmissions, occur most often when I'm line-of-sight to a tower.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:23 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I have experienced this problem to and often times means that they are preparing for the swap to encryption.. Therefore, leaving a few of their radios for testing. Hope this helps ..
Old 07-04-2018, 8:35 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

This is quite simple;

If you are authorized, and have the decryption key, enter it in, and you will be able to monitor the traffic clearly.

If you don't have the key, why enter that talkgroup in your radio?

These units have the ability to monitor encrypted traffic if you have the right decryption key. To have the radio setup to "mute" them upon detecting encrypted traffic would nullify this feature, and make it useless to those who need to monitor traffic that is encrypted.
Old 08-18-2018, 5:59 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Has anyone found a fix for this issue yet? I've been in touch with Unication but no answers yet.

I've got the same issue on all my trunked systems - at the end of a transmission, it occasionally wanders off to another transmission from talkgroups that aren't even programmed in my radio - sometimes encrypted, sometimes clear.
Old 08-18-2018, 6:21 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

As of the latest and greatest firmware, it has not been fixed. I get the encrypted sounding audio on transmissions that I have verified are not encrypted by the system, and that's been verified against scanners. I would say it happens once every 1-2 hours. This is an irritating issue, as some people like myself and the wife don't like the encryption noise at all.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:51 PM
Unication Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR7CQ View Post
As of the latest and greatest firmware, it has not been fixed. I get the encrypted sounding audio on transmissions that I have verified are not encrypted by the system, and that's been verified against scanners. I would say it happens once every 1-2 hours. This is an irritating issue, as some people like myself and the wife don't like the encryption noise at all.

This has come up multiple times and we have never been able to verify that it is happening. Most scanners have encryption muted by default. Are you enabling encryption on the scanner? Does the G4 show the AES shield?
Old 08-20-2018, 8:04 AM
Silent Key
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

A couple of thoughts -

I've seen/been mislead thinking something was encryption (back in March of this year) when trying to monitor a distant system/site. Once I got closer to the site, I realized it wasn't encryption. I will note that I did not see the shield indicating encryption for any of that. For me, new f/w (perhaps starting with the first Phase 2 version) has greatly reduced "garbled" (but unencrypted) transmissions that were pretty annoying.

Having said that - I recall seeing in a few other cases where the talkgroup really was encrypted but the shield did not get displayed. There has probably been a few new f/w releases since that time so I'll see if I can recreate it.

We all hate that encrypted noise.... and I too would like to see an option to suppress it (actually skip the transmission). This would allow for more use of TG-Monitor - particularly for road trips.
Old 08-20-2018, 9:05 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Would "Muting" encryption in the future suppress the ability to de-crypt the transmissions if we have the key loaded in?
Old 08-20-2018, 9:07 AM
Silent Key
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
Would "Muting" encryption in the future suppress the ability to de-crypt the transmissions if we have the key loaded in?
I think if that is a reality (have the key loaded in), making encryption muting an option would be imperative.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:03 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have absolutely, positively, 100%, no question, verified this, multiple times. Doing so was as simple as have my 436 running a the same time and hearing the non-encrypted transmission come through fine on the 436 as the G4 produced encryption sound on the same TG. As well, on the RWC which I mostly listen to, encryption occurs by TG, not by device. I have for example, never, in around 13 years of regular listening, heard a single encrypted transmission on the "A DEC" dispatch TGs. Never once. I have heard the encryption sound on my G4 probably 20+ times since I've had it while listening to A DEC over the last year. The issues absolutely exists for me with both G4s that I have owned during the last year.
Old 08-20-2018, 2:43 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

KR7CQ, sorry for an off topic quick local question,,,when i programmed RWC in my G5’s i noted in the R/R database that all of the A-Deck talkgroups have an “E” telling me they are all encrypted so I just avoided them and loaded the VHF freq’s (which of course you can’t do on a G-4).
I only hear traffic when i get closer to town and then i almost need to be on top of it. Are you saying you hear transmissions on that deck with your G-4 even if the talkgroups are marked encrypted, meaning they use “selective” or switchable encryption?
Old 08-20-2018, 11:02 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1100mac View Post
KR7CQ, sorry for an off topic quick local question,,,when i programmed RWC in my G5’s i noted in the R/R database that all of the A-Deck talkgroups have an “E” telling me they are all encrypted so I just avoided them and loaded the VHF freq’s (which of course you can’t do on a G-4).
I only hear traffic when i get closer to town and then i almost need to be on top of it. Are you saying you hear transmissions on that deck with your G-4 even if the talkgroups are marked encrypted, meaning they use “selective” or switchable encryption?
Actually you are right on topic, and I was unclear. When I referred to A Dec I was referring to Phoenix Police A Dec, Simulcast A of the RWC. Those are not encrypted talk groups. I think that you are referring to the Phoenix Fire A Dec. The Phoenix Fire A Dec is made up of talk groups that are channel for channel patches of VHF Phoenix fire-ground Channels to Talk Groups on Simulcast B of the RWC, and they decided to encrypt those talk groups.

Now to be a touch off-topic, hearing PFD VHF fireground transmissions is tough. With a handheld scanner, you literally would need to stand by the fire trucks. Sometimes I joke that those guys working these scenes must be transmitting with 50 mW, it sure seems like it. The command radio is better, hearable from a bit greater distance, but still it's by no means easy to receive. With a Diamond Discone at around 30' above ground, fed with LMR-400 going to a BC-780XLT, I can hear firefighters working in the fire-ground at spots that are of similar elevation from maybe two miles. If their elevation is higher I can sometimes hear from 5-6 miles. The range for command radios is a couple of more miles at best. Being able to hear PFD A Dec would be amazing, but sadly it will never happen.
Old 08-26-2018, 4:37 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Is it just me, or has this issue been resolved with the new firmware?
Old 08-27-2018, 6:49 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I haven't heard any unknown encrypted sounding transmissions with the new firmware either. I have seen and heard actual encrypted ones only a couple times come thru...which show a shield though.
Old 08-27-2018, 6:55 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkphotog View Post
Is it just me, or has this issue been resolved with the new firmware?
I haven't heard it yet, now if only if the damn DVR error could be solved...
Old 08-28-2018, 10:53 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

KR7CQ,
Do you remove the battery after each firmware?
I go in the habit of performing firmware updates. Letting it power back on. Wait a minute. Read and program. When it comes on. I shut it off, pull battery. wait, put battery back in then use it normally.

I have 2 personal g4 and i know over a year ago i had an issue with a firmware update and since then got in the habit of removing battery.
I also got in the habit of performing 1 firmware update, then closing the updater software, then opening it again for the next pager.
I am now in charge of 6 G4 at work and 3 G5 plus my 2 personal G4. Its a bit more time consuming but i feel i get better results.
I have not had a DVR error with V1.1 on any devices.