• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G4 / G5 Phase 2 Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePagerGeek

Premium Subscriber
I've read most threads regarding the G4 / G5 pagers and P25 Phase 2.

Is there an official answer to the upgrade option for existing owners?

Thanks in advance

spyscan

Premium Subscriber
I was told there would be a path to upgrade by the 16TH. Which is tomorrow so. I guess we will see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Originally Posted by Unication_David View Post
At this point the units will most likely have to come back to us. The upgrade for each unit takes about 45 sec to a minute max and turn around should be fairly quick. No hardware upgrade is required its all software. We will be releasing a "path to upgrade" on or around the 15th of this month. Thank you for your patience.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Last I spoke with Ray at Ray’s Pagers about 10 days ago, they had not yet been provided a path to upgrade the units to Phase II. I’ve also seen the same post from David but since Unication seems to always push releases, I’m not holding my breath.

BigWonton

I'm waiting to see if the $150 MSRP price holds or if there will be some sort of promotional pricing.

If I remember correctly, before the "free upgrade promotion" was extended through the end of April, the price differential between a P1 only and P1/P2 pager was less than the $150 upgrade price being quoted.

It's been slightly frustrating that pricing details aren't available as that would help me whether to upgrade my existing pager or get in on the promotion and sell the old one.

Originally Posted by Unication_David View Post
At this point the units will most likely have to come back to us. The upgrade for each unit takes about 45 sec to a minute max and turn around should be fairly quick. No hardware upgrade is required its all software. We will be releasing a "path to upgrade" on or around the 15th of this month. Thank you for your patience.
Not cool if I have to send in my pager and then wait till they decide to do the upgrade and then mail it off..

If someone finds an easier way to get phase 2, pm me!

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
Personally, I hope they're trying to figure out a way to avoid requiring that units get sent to them for the upgrade.

Agree. I rather not have to also pay shipping and then pay for extra insurance on it to cover, etc.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
I just got my notice in my inbox about five minutes ago. For other reasons my pager was already on the way to Arlington. Now to see how they'll handle this.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Don’t be stubborn. Lol. I’ll agree with you that it sucks, but I’m guessing it’s the only way they can get their money.

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
All-
I called Unication this morning and spoke to one of their reps directly to seek some clarification. As far as the Phase II upgrade is concerned for existing owners, you will in fact need to send your units to them if you wish to go through with the upgrade. This is the only option being presented at this time. They're looking into the possibility adding a solution where the pagers can be upgraded remotely, but they don't know if/when it will be available. I was also told that if you don't have an immediate need/desire to upgrade, don't waste your time or money sending the pagers to them.

I won't go on a a long rant about how I feel about this, but I do find it rather disappointing.

At any rate, don't shoot the messenger. I just wanted to pass the info along.

ThePagerGeek

Premium Subscriber
There is something to be said about patience and technology. I'm sure someone has said it before, but, I like to say, "If you are seeking "bleeding edge" technology, sometimes you're going to get blood on yourself."

I'm not in a rush, plus I can see what plays out.
- Firmware bugs not yet seen
- Remote upgrade possibility
- Actual results of shipping / receiving now that the option exists

There is a LONG list of software / firmware releases that the world would've been better without. But I understand the need like a kid a Christmas wanting the latest and greatest, or the person to say "Yeah, I've got that" etc.

It's a pager. I can wait a bit for things to settle down.

n6ect

Based on how > 50% of packages arrive here, I personally do not like the prospect of round trip and will also wait and watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.