• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Anyone unhappy with their G1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillB

Like the title says, is anyone unhappy with the G1? After having it for 6+months I have to say I'm a little disappointed in it. Everyone's reviews of it were of it having great range and could hear more then the Min 6s and 5s. Honestly I'm not sure on that. Prime example was today. Another dept in my county got paged out for a call. They have a paging repeater for their tones. I have an old 5 sitting in the charger that picked up the repeater page. It was static but was still receiving. I sat my G1 right next to it and it never made a noise. There have been other times when I'm at work where it seems my 6 would have been more clear vs the G1.

There are a few other things that are a little disappointing but that seems the most annoying one.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if you got a bad unit. G1 is the best pager I've had since the Min 1 back in the late 80's. I've got a 3, 4, and 5 and they don't come close. Never had a 6, but some of the guys I know have them. I wasn't real impressed.

Under squelch setting I have mine set for Good Sensitivity.

hiddenrun

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if you got a bad unit. G1 is the best pager I've had since the Min 1 back in the late 80's. I've got a 3, 4, and 5 and they don't come close. Never had a 6, but some of the guys I know have them. I wasn't real impressed.

Under squelch setting I have mine set for Good Sensitivity.

I agree with sibbley, The Unication G1 Pager is top of the line pager. 99.9% of the time when folks have issues with the G1 is when they are not programmed right.

The Unication G1 has more different settings to improve the reception and the quality of the page and recording then any other pager.

boatbod

I'm happy with my G1 (although I now use a G5 since ph2 became available). Must say I never found the G1 to be any more sensitive than a M6 or M5

b1100mac

Premium Member
Premium Subscriber
I use my 2 G-1's for monitor only, (no tones)and one must realize that the little nub on the top of the radio it's pretty much just for looks. The G-1 uses an internal antenna for VHF, just like the G-5. I have noticed if I set my radio near another scanner or source of RF the reception is not as good. I have had to move the radio sometimes just inches around my bench during a transmission until I find a sweet spot and that's were it lives. As far as being mobile both radios are hotter than a pistol, no interference from my vehicles.
Of course, programming would be my first area to check for tweaks, but you might also try the above solution if that doesn't work. My G-1's don't seem to like cellphones, digital scanners (other than my 3 G-5's), flouresent lights, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.