RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Unication Forum

Unication Forum - Forum for discussion of Unication products.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2018, 1:08 PM

I purchased a Unication G5 back in February 2017. I'm located in a tough rf environment of New Jersey surrounded by P25 sinulcast systems including Philadelphia about 17 miles away. Initially I was impressed by the receivability of the Phase 1 systems like Philly which is known to be a headache for scanners. In fact the G5 could regularly receive that system almost 30 miles away, where any scanner would never have a prayer. The lack of functionality (no nuissance delete, UID store), inability to receive Phase 2 at the time, and poor audio quality including an occasional loud screech on P25 voice earned it a temporary spot on the shelf.
After the phase 2 upgrade I was very impressed with the performance of the G5 on Phase 2. No garbling, even on the system 22 miles away! And i found the audio very consistent. On the Harris systems my Uniden BCD436HP would go from barely audible to ear splitting. With the Unication there were still changes but not as pronounced. And i noticed something else. On both phase 1 and 2 I did not hear that horrible shriek even with weak signal. I got an adaptor and a better antenna and can hear 800mhz systems up to 38 miles away which puts any scanner to shame! I can't put it down.
There are still 3 things that would make this unit complete. The ability to temporarily lock out (nuisance delete) a talkgroup, the ability to store voice messages from a wildcard talkgroup, and the ability to store unit ID aliases. Please please Unication David if you're following this post lets see if we can make this a possibility.
I also notice that immediately upon programming my unit and removing from my computer, or turning off and immediately back on that the unit freezes and spontaneously shuts off during a transmission. Usually resetting the unit or waiting about 10 minutes will do the trick but it should not happen. Overall i give the Unication G5 a 9 out of the 10 rating after extensive testing.
Sponsored links
Old 06-01-2018, 11:09 PM

Got my VHF G5 late last year. I initially ran the Phase 1 firmware then, upgraded to the Phase 1+2. Have had it back from upgrade about a month. Monitoring a couple of different countywide Harris and Motorola simulcast systems (mostly Phase 1, some Phase 2) and it's great, no matter where I go in the county (urban or rural).

I formerly had a HomePatrol-2 and it worked like garbage on said systems unless you drove to a certain spot in the county right near a simulcast tower. At home it was useless; I was ready to throw it out the window. Luckily I calmed down and instead sold the HP-2 on eBay for only a few bucks less than I paid for it (figured I'd get rid of it while it was still worth something....)

Aside from the awesome P25 simulcast reception, #2 thing I love about the G5 that no scanner provides is the form factor; the fact that you can toss it in your pocket no problem without a big stupid antenna sticking out. That's what I hate about the new SDS-100 from Uniden, it may solve the simulcase issue but it's a huge unit with a big ol' antenna. Wonder if Uniden will make a smaller form factor scanner that handles LSM in addition to the SDS-100.
Old 06-02-2018, 5:21 AM

Could not agree more with you regarding the G5. I have a G4 and same wonderful results. I would think you could get a shorter antenna for the SDS100. Is the SDS100 an SMA just like the G5 G4?
Old 06-03-2018, 5:54 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjrenna View Post
Could not agree more with you regarding the G5. I have a G4 and same wonderful results. I would think you could get a shorter antenna for the SDS100. Is the SDS100 an SMA just like the G5 G4?
The SDS100 uses an SMA male antenna just like my 396XT. The G5 uses an SMA female antenna.

GTO_04
Old 06-03-2018, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO_04 View Post
The SDS100 uses an SMA male antenna just like my 396XT. The G5 uses an SMA female antenna.

GTO_04
A .5" long M/F adapter will solve that problem.

I agree that the G4/G5 size is perfect. As is the stubby antenna. I have a need to just monitor my county's Ph. 2 simulcast system so a small radio is great. Drops right into the cup holder if I am mobile. Never a need to look at it while driving. Never need an external antenna. Something the size of a SDS100 would be way overkill for my needs.
Sponsored links
Old 06-03-2018, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio3353 View Post
A .5" long M/F adapter will solve that problem.

I agree that the G4/G5 size is perfect. As is the stubby antenna. I have a need to just monitor my county's Ph. 2 simulcast system so a small radio is great. Drops right into the cup holder if I am mobile. Never a need to look at it while driving. Never need an external antenna. Something the size of a SDS100 would be way overkill for my needs.
Overall I think the unication G4 is great but there could be some improvements like a 3.5 mm audio jack, better bluetooth support for linking with Bluetooth speakers. Louded audio for when in vehicles

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2018, 10:52 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

It would be interesting to see if Unication would branch out into the scanner world.
Keep the guts of the G5, modify the housing so its still rugged but not IPxx and add a 3.5mm headset jack to it.
Modify the software to allow more scanner like function with cross system scanning, temp delete and hold buttons.
Scanner people need a well built device but not an IPxx device. (sure some do but most dont)