• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G4 Freezes After Phase II Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

u7string

Premium Subscriber
I got my G4 back yesterday, 5/29/18, after a Phase II upgrade. I've had the unit since Dec 2017.

While monitoring the FIRST Phase II system in Harford County MD, I'll hear plenty of transmissions, but at some point I'll notice that the unit has gone silent. Clicking on the Navigation Key will show an active Talk Group, but there is no sound. It seems to have frozen as it just never leaves the Talk Group, and no sound. Turning the unit off and on, it will start working as normal. I've had this happen about 4 times so far in the past 24 hours.

On the Unication USA website, I've submitted a form to Tech Support, so we'll see what happens.

Don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but thought I would at least submit my experience here.

BTW, I never experienced any kind of issues before the upgrade.

troymail

Silent Key
Haven't seen those types of issues since P2... I did have some issues in September where it seemed like the first time I flash the f/w to the radio, it acted really oddly.... Flashing a 2nd time (using a different PC) made a huge difference.

Curious - once you got the Phase 2 firmware installed, did you install the latest PPS and import/convert your programming to that new version and write it to the radio - or did you keep the same programming installed from before the P2 upgrade?

It really should matter (I don't think)....

If it were me, I'd probably reflash the radio with the P2 firmware and write a new copy of the programming/profile with the latest PPS....

u7string

Premium Subscriber
When I launched the new PPS, it recognized my previous profile I had used for the G4. I then just modified that profile by adding a P2 system and setup another Zone to use the system. I actually saved it to the G4 a couple times since I forgot to change the voice prompting, which I find annoying.

Don't know that it would cause an issue, but, because I want to see what is active on the system, I'm using a wildcard group so everything is coming up. I've done this with a P1 system with no problems at all.

I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure that it froze up on exactly same Talk Group each time.

Is it possible for me to reflash the P2 firmware?

troymail

Silent Key
I've used the wildcard without issue....

Do you know which firmware version you are running? I assume you're hearing P2 talkgroups on FiRST correct?

You should have received a note from Unication with your upgraded radio that provides the link to download the PPS and firmware. You can reflash your radio with that firmware image and see if it helps...

u7string

Premium Subscriber
Firmware is V1.00-T08. I'm assuming I'm hearing P2 talkgrounps. Is there a visual indication on the unit that confirms it?

The PPS I am using was downloaded from the link provided from the upgrade.

There is a file named Gx_Image_MFG_V1.00-T…ser).zip, maybe that contains the files for reflashing the unit?

troymail

Silent Key
Firmware is V1.00-T08.
That's the Phase 2 f/w.
I'm assuming I'm hearing P2 talkgrounps. Is there a visual indication on the unit that confirms it?
No - but if you're listening to talkgroups on FiRST - particularly MSP, chances are they are Phase 2 (FiRST is only Phase 1 on rare occasions usually - like during mutual aid response from other non-FIRST counties).
The PPS I am using was downloaded from the link provided from the upgrade.

There is a file named Gx_Image_MFG_V1.00-T…ser).zip, maybe that contains the files for reflashing the unit?
I believe so - download and unzip it - there should be a f/w image and a utility that installs it.... takes about 5 minutes (probably less).

boatbod

I haven't experienced any freezes with my G5 on MD FiRST but I will add the caveat that most of the time I have it on VHF simplex mode for fire pager alerts and only switch it across to the 700 system when there is a call I want to listen in on.

u7string

Premium Subscriber
I guess I'll try reflashing if it continues to be a problem. And, return with feedback as well if I do.

Thanks for the help!

au1344

Premium Subscriber
Make sure you changed the model number in your profile as well as it changes with the P2 upgrade. Using a different or old model number can cause instability.

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
I have experienced something similar on my G5. I was monitoring the NJICS system here in NJ, a very active system with both phase 1&2 talk groups. When I first turned it on it was quiet. I didn’t pay much attention to it at first, but when I realized I wasn’t hearing anything, I changed knob positions and then began hearing all the normal activity.
I’ll pay more attention tomorrow and see what develops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

u7string

Premium Subscriber
I did talk to someone at Unication USA twice now. Main suggestion was to create a new profile and/or reflash; which I have not tried doing yet. In the past couple days I haven't really been monitoring the P2 FIRST all that much and have been mostly monitoring the P1 CMARC system. Haven't heard much so far on the FIRST system that interests me all that much, although I'm still happy I got the P2 upgrade.

As far as the G4 F/W version, PPS version, and model number selected on the PPS, is all correct. I have been told if I do experience anymore issues, that I can contact Unication directly, and, send a code plug as well for them to check out. They seem very interested in resolving any issue I'm having, so kudos for them reaching out as they have.

So anyway, haven't experienced another lock up yet. But will return back if anything changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.