• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G5 Antenna Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uni1

Unication Representative
Premium Subscriber
With all the talk about the G5 stubby antenna and its performance I wanted to do a comparison.

I compared the G5 stock antenna with a Unication U3 and a Motorola APX. Both the Motorola and the Unication U3 are 7/800 MHz antennas. I am not saying either are the best, they are just what I have at my desk to test.

Diagnostics can be enabled from the PPS in D 6. You will get a screen with similar info.

Here is what I got.

G5 with stock antenna -108
G5 without any antenna -131
G5 with Unication U3 antenna -98
G5 with Motorola APX antenna - 102

Attachments

• G5 Stock Antenna.jpg
    G5 Stock Antenna.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 526
  • No Antenna.jpg
    No Antenna.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 526
  • U3 On G5.jpg
    U3 On G5.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 517
  • APX On G5.jpg
    APX On G5.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 515

radio3353

On the radio or while looking at it on your monitor?

On the radio, you can't.
On your monitor, Crtl +

N6ML

The diagnostic display looks quite different on my Phase-II G5 - it has four pages. Also, the RSSI doesn't seem to be real-time (it doesn't vary).

Uni1

Unication Representative
Premium Subscriber
That is an engineering mode. Your option for RSSI is the one you are seeing on the menu.

BigWonton

That is an engineering mode. Your option for RSSI is the one you are seeing on the menu.

The RSSI meter pegs out at "> -100" so it becomes hard to quantify antenna performance at my location. Is there any way to change that to get the actual values?

Uni1

Unication Representative
Premium Subscriber
The diagnostics screen is designed to aid in trouble shooting RF. At signal strength over -100 there is no need. Unfortunately that is how it was designed.

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
Unication U3 antenna? I don't see it listed anywhere for sale. What does it look like top to bottom?

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
Damn. The more I look at Unication, the more I like. I remember the Motorola Flex and Alpha pagers years ago that were actually Unication built with Moto badging.

That being said...after following your link I discovered the U3. I have a few questions.

1. How does one get a U3?
2. How much?
3. Only for non-North America markets?
4. How have we not heard about this?
5. Jeezus, this thing appears to be a game changer. Is non-affilate rx only scan a thing on this unit? (The Relm/BK units possess this, but pricing is just above most hobbiests' budget)
6. Why the heck are we fooling around with consumer-grade stuff when this thing exists?

The issue is see with most P25 equipment is pricing geared toward agencies who qualify for grant $. Does this unit follow this trend? (don't blame Unication if it does, who would leave cash on the table?)

Status
Not open for further replies.