• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Coming Back to the G4 ...Bad SDS100 experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
Ok a while back sold my G4 for funds.

Should have never sold - oh well.
Was waiting for new SDS100 by Uniden...Got it and wow I was disappointed in how many conversations it did not pickup on Simulcast.

Re-Ordered the OLD FAITHFUL G4 - this time has Phase II - (BONUS).

Happy to be back!!

allend

Premium Subscriber
As we all know we the G4 is commerical grade and should function properly at this level.

Scanners will never be perfect because they are engineered to try and cover all of the bands and modulations that people desire. It's just the nature of the beast. Then the tweaking starts to occur with firmware updates and software upgrades to make everybody smile.

Its just a cat and mouse game and the cat will always win.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
This is the first post you've made regarding a bad experience with the SDS100, and you've already returned it, so too late, now. But, why didn't you at least post, first, to ensure it was not a fixable issue?

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
So when a product doesn’t work as advertised, the end user should go to the internet and try to solicit help to find a solution? Isn’t that what all your beta testers should be doing? If I bought a new iPhone 20 and sold my 19 and my 20 didn’t work as good as my trusty 19, should I go on tech forums for answers ? Personally, I’m going back to my 19 (with new firmware too).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Because the G4/G5 have never had issues that were later resolved by firmware updates...

mharris

Premium Subscriber
I've been using my G4 and SDS100 for 10 days now. Certainly the G4 wins in the reciever category, but it's commercial grade. However, I think it's worth waiting a while before giving up on the SDS100. The SDS is brand new and it works very well on my local simulcast systems. There will be FW updates as issues are identified that will make it work even better. Let the Uniden engineers do some tweaking. It's awfully early to give up.

captaincab

monitoring delco pa with gre psr300 pro2053 and b
Hmmm seen plenty of posts over the time in this forum seeking help from others in here including factory reps. Should those people have done something else too or is that comment just reserved for non unication threads? After all unication had such great luck with phase 2 intially it took what almost a year past the original launch date.

So when a product doesn’t work as advertised, the end user should go to the internet and try to solicit help to find a solution? Isn’t that what all your beta testers should be doing? If I bought a new iPhone 20 and sold my 19 and my 20 didn’t work as good as my trusty 19, should I go on tech forums for answers ? Personally, I’m going back to my 19 (with new firmware too).

W4ELL

Feed Provider
If I bought a new iPhone 20 and sold my 19 and my 20 didn’t work as good as my trusty 19, should I go on tech forums for answers ? Personally, I’m going back to my 19 (with new firmware too).

I can't tell you how many Apple forums I have been on where people came, stated what their issue was, and were helped by people on that forum. Along those same lines, the issues that weren't easily fixable found their way back to Apple, who fixed said issue with a firmware update.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
You can read the obvious bias in the posts following mine. Notice how I said “product” not SDS-100. Product could mean Unication, Whistler or Uniden.

Problem is I’m one who is critical of Uniden. Just like I have been critical of Unication. I literally blasted them when they released the firmware before their Phase II firmware. It was loaded with bugs that I found in one day of use that either their beta testers missed or they just didn’t care and released anyway. Needless to say I reverted back to an older “trusty” firmware I had success with.

People don’t like the facts apparently.

diskmonger

I saw someone come to forum asking for help with a particular issue and how to deal with it and the response I saw from the Uniden rep was a one word "Neither". Not really helpful. If I saw the "help" people were getting I probably wouldn't bother posting about it either.

The unication does great on the Simulcast systems I've listened to on it.

Jimco

I saw someone come to forum asking for help with a particular issue and how to deal with it and the response I saw from the Uniden rep was a one word "Neither". Not really helpful.

My impression exactly. That was a pretty awful response from a customer service aspect.

radio3353

...However, I think it's worth waiting a while before giving up on the SDS100. The SDS is brand new and it works very well on my local simulcast systems. There will be FW updates as issues are identified that will make it work even better. Let the Uniden engineers do some tweaking. It's awfully early to give up.

Maybe, but some early adopters are up against return windows. One dealer has a very short 10 day return window! Users will be hosed if firmware updates don't fix their problem or takes too long to be released.

So, the better strategy may be to return the radio now (if no restocking fee or other limitation is involved) and buy it again later when verified improvements are baked in. Also, in 6 months or so there should be another choice on the market that may (or may not) be better. Patience required - the 'gotta have it now' mentality can be expensive and disappointing.

I patiently waited two years for Unication to release their Phase II capability after they announced that it was coming. Glad I did because I got the Phase II upgrade for free and the G4 was on price reduction. Oh, and it works!

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Ok a while back sold my G4 for funds.

Should have never sold - oh well.
Was waiting for new SDS100 by Uniden...Got it and wow I was disappointed in how many conversations it did not pickup on Simulcast.

Re-Ordered the OLD FAITHFUL G4 - this time has Phase II - (BONUS).

Happy to be back!!

You are not alone. My SDS100 will be going to its new home tomorrow. And I did jump through a few hoops and I gave it a chance. It can't even touch the G4 here in the Phoenix metro area. I mean, we are talking oceans apart in performance. Believe me, I fell in love with many features on the SDS100, but performance was always number one, and it failed there. I did comparisons, talked to others, met people, tried tweaks, tried many locations, multiple systems, different types of systems, etc. It just can't compete with the G4/5. It is what it is. I'm glad I spent some time trying, but I can understand that some don't have the spare time or desire to do so.

I now own a pair of G4s, along with a quality group of analog scanners on a multicoupler with a good antenna on a mast at 30', and my needs are met for now as a scanner hobbyist. And by the way, I want to say that I'm not a "Uni-hater". The best scanner ever built in my view was the 780. Overall nothing touches it to this day in my testing. But of course it isn't digital, and I'm willing to look to any brand that can deliver. For now that means Unication. I will purchase the new Whistler when it comes out too. I'm just saying, I tried to give this device a fair shot, but came to the same conclusion as the OP. Don't feel bad, you are not alone.

Last edited:

mharris

Premium Subscriber
You are not alone. My SDS100 will be going to its new home tomorrow. And I did jump through a few hoops and I gave it a chance. It can't even touch the G4 here in the Phoenix metro area. I mean, we are talking oceans apart in performance. Believe me, I fell in love with many features on the SDS100, but performance was always number one, and it failed there. I did comparisons, talked to others, met people, tried tweaks, tried many locations, multiple systems, different types of systems, etc. It just can't compete with the G4/5. It is what it is. I'm glad I spent some time trying, but I can understand that some don't have the spare time or desire to do so.

I now own a pair of G4s, along with a quality group of analog scanners on a multicoupler with a good antenna on a mast at 30', and my needs are met for now as a scanner hobbyist. And by the way, I want to say that I'm not a "Uni-hater". The best scanner ever built in my view was the 780. Overall nothing touches it to this day in my testing. But of course it isn't digital, and I'm willing to look to any brand that can deliver. For now that means Unication. I will purchase the new Whistler when it comes out too. I'm just saying, I tried to give this device a fair shot, but came to the same conclusion as the OP. Don't feel bad, you are not alone.

Very will said. It's too bad Uniden didn't do a 450-700/800mhz only option with more commercial like specs. A G5 but with scanner features. Consumer equipment is not the best choice for these complex simulcast systems.

Very will said. It's too bad Uniden didn't do a 450-700/800mhz only option with more commercial like specs. A G5 but with scanner features. Consumer equipment is not the best choice for these complex simulcast systems.

funny you would say to do a 450-700\800 MHZ only scanner i was thinking only a 700\800 MHZ scanner would be a good idea many have other scanners to scan everything else.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
UPMan - Please don't take this the wrong way - I did not post in the Uniden Forums because I did not want to cause chaos. Nor do I want to detract in anyway of the success.

I am sure the SDS100 is great for the right person and environment.
Mine was all about multiple MISSED conversations on the SIMULCAST Phase I system.
I understand and love SENTINEL and wish the backend for PPS - Unication was similar.

And I agree firmware can do a lot and I hope for those with SIMULCAST P25 P1 systems it works well for them.

I still own an HP2 / Uniden R3 radars / have had a couple BCD536hp in the past.
When Uniden comes out with a mobile version like HP2 or BCD536hp I am sure I will buy again.

jonwienke - keep up your fabulous work !! Great mods done right !!

Jimco

Personally, I've been waiting to hear people's experiences with the SDS100. I got burned by the 436 by not doing my research. From what I see here (and what I read in the Uniden forums), the SDS100 is still not a good choice for people who have to deal with simulcast distortion. I'm seeing a lot of people jumping through all kinds of hoops to try and get better reception.

Hopefully Uniden can enhance the performance as they tweak things, but all I know is this: The only thing I have to do to get excellent performance out of my G5 is turn it on.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I've been using my G4 and SDS100 for 10 days now. Certainly the G4 wins in the reciever category, but it's commercial grade. However, I think it's worth waiting a while before giving up on the SDS100. The SDS is brand new and it works very well on my local simulcast systems. There will be FW updates as issues are identified that will make it work even better. Let the Uniden engineers do some tweaking. It's awfully early to give up.

Return windows are one aspect, but there is something that a lot of people don't seem to understand about other posters.

THEY DON'T ALWAYS CONFORM TO HOW ANOTHER SCANNER USER PERCEIVES THE RADIO TO BE USED

Board up companies, insurance adjusters, reporters, photographers and I'm sure some that I'm missing utilize scanners as part of their everyday business. For them, it is a mission critical piece of equipment and they may not be able to accept the refinement process timeline, so they revert to something that is proven to work. Criticizing someone for going back to something that works for them without full background is ignorant in my opinion.

mule1075

Feed Provider
Return windows are one aspect, but there is something that a lot of people don't seem to understand about other posters.

THEY DON'T ALWAYS CONFORM TO HOW ANOTHER SCANNER USER PERCEIVES THE RADIO TO BE USED

Board up companies, insurance adjusters, reporters, photographers and I'm sure some that I'm missing utilize scanners as part of their everyday business. For them, it is a mission critical piece of equipment and they may not be able to accept the refinement process timeline, so they revert to something that is proven to work. Criticizing someone for going back to something that works for them without full background is ignorant in my opinion.
Relax Ed no reason to shout or call someone ignorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.