• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Custom Trunking Tables in PPS for Philadelphia

Status
Not open for further replies.

radio3353

I have this system (Philadelphia, PA) programmed in my G4, but it is not seeing the system, just keeps searching for a control channel even when I am in the city. Eventually I get an "out of range" message even though I am in the city at the time. As much as I look I have not found any mistakes in my programming. I have only site 3 (Zone 1 simulcast) programmed with talkgroups 237 and 239.

Philadelphia Trunking System, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - Scanner Frequencies

The info in the RR database shows a custom trunking table for this system. Is that applicable to the G4's programming? I do not see any place in PPS to enter it.

When I had this system programmed in my Radio Shack Pro-106 it worked (but with terrible simulcast distortion). I used WIN500 for programming which does have a section for entering a custom trunking table.

I'm stumped. Thanks for your help.

jcardani

Premium Subscriber
I don't own a G4 but I have heard that you must enter the site info including the NACs correctly.

I have this system (Philadelphia, PA) programmed in my G4, but it is not seeing the system, just keeps searching for a control channel even when I am in the city. Eventually I get an "out of range" message even though I am in the city at the time. As much as I look I have not found any mistakes in my programming. I have only site 3 (Zone 1 simulcast) programmed with talkgroups 237 and 239.

Philadelphia Trunking System, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - Scanner Frequencies

The info in the RR database shows a custom trunking table for this system. Is that applicable to the G4's programming? I do not see any place in PPS to enter it.

When I had this system programmed in my Radio Shack Pro-106 it worked (but with terrible simulcast distortion). I used WIN500 for programming which does have a section for entering a custom trunking table.

I'm stumped. Thanks for your help.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I would suspect either the RFSS or site number info is incorrect in the RR database.

Maybe try wildcards for those (all F's).

radio3353

I would suspect either the RFSS or site number info is incorrect in the RR database.

Maybe try wildcards for those (all F's).

Thanks, Kevin. I will try that. I won't be in the city again until Sunday so I will report my results then.

troymail

Silent Key
I've monitored the system in the past with a G4 using data directly from the RRDB (no custom tables or anything else special -- not even sure how you'd enter custom tables into the PPS).

As Kevin said - typically, if you are in range but the radio is reporting out of range, it's usually in the system parms in your config (WACN, SysId, RFSS, site, etc.). If you've verified that they are correct, try the wildcards:

WACN: FFFFF
SysID: FFF
RFSS: FF
Site: FF

Assuming that works, use the toggle switch (down) and see what the radio reports that values really are...

jcardani

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if this may also be an issue but make sure all 4 control channel frequencies per site are entered. They do occasionally rotate.

BTW, The parameters I posted above work perfectly in my Harris XG-75P

Last edited:

radio3353

After some experimentation, I have found the problem...

The RR database is incorrect regarding the Zone 1 Site number. It should be Site 4 just like Zone 2, not Site 3.

Recall from my original post that I only had Zone 1 programmed with two FD talkgroups. I programmed the freqs. for Zone 2 and added a few PD talkgroups. When I entered FF for the RFSS and Site for Zones 1 and 2 everything worked. For fun I reversed the Site numbers for Zones 1 and 2 thinking they may have been transposed in the DB. No joy. Next, I made both zones Site 4 and both zones are now receiving fine. I will notify the PA DB administrator so the DB can be corrected.

Thanks everybody.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
That doesnt make sense to me.
So your saying Both zones are RFSS 1 and Site 4, even they are operating as different sites?

radio3353

That doesnt make sense to me.
So your saying Both zones are RFSS 1 and Site 4, even they are operating as different sites?

Yes. As I described it that is what is working for me on my G4. Keep in mind that the two zones use two different sets of control channel frequencies.

Interestingly enough, the DB administrator rejected my report saying the database is correct. :confused:

Oh well. It is working for me and that is what matters. I don't know what else to say, but I am open to any suggestions or corrections.

troymail

Silent Key
Yes. As I described it that is what is working for me on my G4. Keep in mind that the two zones use two different sets of control channel frequencies.

Interestingly enough, the DB administrator rejected my report saying the database is correct. :confused:

Oh well. It is working for me and that is what matters. I don't know what else to say, but I am open to any suggestions or corrections.

I just sent you a PM....

Status
Not open for further replies.