• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2 control channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
What scanner? In most cases you enter all frequencies for a site, because the control channel can change without notice.

hou30guy

On a g4 or g5 just use site and primary and alternative control channels thats it

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
You can also put in all the frequencies if you want. It wont hurt the G4.
A few month ago on a Moto P25P1 system my device was showing out of range.
Turns out the system started using a CC that was not listed as Primary or Secondary.
So i ended up putting all 6 channels in the device and it works great.
Typically moto systems will have primary with usually 3-4 alternate.
On Harris i believe any channel can be the CC. Or at least thats what i recall reading on RR forums a while back.

hou30guy

All them other channels isnt needed and will have the radio doing more work than whats needed for a talk group

troymail

Silent Key
All them other channels isnt needed and will have the radio doing more work than whats needed for a talk group

Not really - the radio really only needs to look for the active control channel once and as long as you have good reception and are in range, the others won't matter - until the control channel frequency changes.

The safest thing to do is simply program all of the known site frequencies - regardless of system type. As has been stated above, Motorola tends to limit potential control (primary or alternate) frequencies to 2-4... Harris systems are known to allow any of the site frequencies to be used as control.

You could also skip entering any control channel frequencies and use a full spectrum scan (let the radio search for your CC). It's less efficient and a bit slower to find the CC but once it does, the same holds true (it will stay there unless the CC signal is lost).

Then, of course, you can use a combination of both -- enter some or all of the known specific site frequencies and add a full spectrum scan. The "specific" list of frequencies is checked first and then, if a CC is not found, the radio will use the full spectrum scan. This would cover a situation where you didn't enter all of the site frequencies, all of the frequencies are currently listed in the database, and/or is additional frequencies happen to get added later.

Lots of options....

mdsxfire

EDBM
I put every frequency in for both the Harris and Motorola systems I monitor with no issues. I have noticed that the Harris systems has been changing CC just about every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.